Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leo743
    • By leo743 8th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    leo743
    BT debt will it be Statued barred
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:36 PM
    BT debt will it be Statued barred 8th Mar 18 at 1:36 PM
    Hi

To cut a long story short I Ďoweí bt £350 from April 2013. It relates to a complaint where I cancelled their tv service due to lack of signal. Anyway bt were woefully unhelpful and I never received any recourse. Time has moved on and out of the blue this year Iíve started receiving chaser letters from a solicitirs acting on behalf of a DCA. Prior to this I hAve Never been in touch with anyone about the debt since 2013

I may have took my eye of the ball here as with the threat of legal action I replied to the solicitor saying that this wasnít a debt but a civil dispute for breach of contract which Iím
    still waiting to hear back regarding my written complaint from 5 years ago !!!128545; (Basically theyíve charged me for a year service after I cancelled after 1 month).

Now will this response mean that the debt will
    Now no longer be statue barred in April this year as they will say I have aknowledged it !!!128563;

Are they bluffing and will they take me to court? Iím adamant I wonít pay as it was appalling service by bt at the time and Iím not paying for something I havenít received ( I returned all the equipment and the service was cancelled at the time)

Thanks

Andy
Page 1
    • timbstoke
    • By timbstoke 8th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    timbstoke
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    I don't think a reply telling you that the debt was in dispute at the time they received it could be considered an acknowledgement of the debt. It acknowledges that you know the account they're talking about sure, but you're disputing that a debt exists, so the SB clock shouldn't be reset.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 8th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    anna_1977
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    It was never going to SB in April this year - 6 years from last payment etc so April 2019
    • January2015
    • By January2015 8th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 5,148 Thanks
    January2015
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    It was never going to SB in April this year - 6 years from last payment etc so April 2019
    Originally posted by anna_1977
    Could be this year if the OP is in Scotland
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 8th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    anna_1977
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    Could be this year if the OP is in Scotland
    Originally posted by January2015
    learnt something new - thanks
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    • 14,064 Posts
    • 13,327 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:59 PM
    If your in Scotland it will be SB this year, rest of the UK it will be another year.

It is anyones guess if they will go to court, usually if the debt is disputed they may not bother, as they dont like to get bogged down with anything that isnt straight forward.

Thats not to say it isn't possible though.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,101Posts Today

6,615Users online

Martin's Twitter