Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 8th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 6Thanks
    spencer999
    23yo female moved to Liverpool L30 car ins trebled
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    23yo female moved to Liverpool L30 car ins trebled 8th Mar 18 at 1:33 PM
    Like it says, 23 year old, first car, passed test december 17, moved to Liverpool L30 and premium trebled to 4k.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ANYONE - QUICK!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!
Page 1
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 8th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,565 Thanks
    rudekid48
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:38 PM
    Like it says, 23 year old, first car, passed test december 17, moved to Liverpool L30 and premium trebled to 4k.

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND ANYONE - QUICK!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!
    Originally posted by spencer999
    L30 - Bootle, Netherton etc - but you don't say where you moved from. Hardly surprising it's expensive in those areas to be honest, especially with less than 1 year experience..
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    spencer999
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    from L39 Ormskirk. Trebled, though - her car is only worth 800, her driving skills haven't deteriorated suddenly. I know it can't be helped, but gocompare and comparethemarket are in fact very limiting, there are plenty of insurers not under their umbrella.

Just wondering if anyone had a magic wand in the form of an insurer that doesn't punish that particular postcode!!!
    • Reardoa
    • By Reardoa 8th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Reardoa
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    If the insurer has poor experience within that postcode it can rate much higher than a neighbouring area. There is no magic wand Im afraid so try alternatives not forgetting those not on comparison sites like Aviva and Direct Line. Alternatively a broker and they will do the donkey work for you.
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 8th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    spencer999
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    well endsleigh are useless I can tell you that
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 20,157 Posts
    • 15,880 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:14 PM
    It won't be due to her, it'll be the insurer's experience of claims from the area she's moved to. If the car's only worth 800 it may be better to sell it and wait until she moves to a better area before buying another.
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 8th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    spencer999
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    I've tried icukinsurance

they are Liverpool based and have a big panel of insurers. They take care over quotes and promise to provide one in about 24 hours

I think they "present" the info in positive ways to make the risk as attractive as poss

we shall see
    • rs65
    • By rs65 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 5,345 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    rs65
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:38 PM
    Are they registered with the Financial Conduct Authority?
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 8th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    spencer999
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    erm..... the website is quite badly written.

They aren't FCA registered

as long as they don't tell fibs and use a UK insurer I'm prepared to let a few things slide

maybe
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 8th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    The only way to "present the risk with attractive info" is to misrepresent the risk.

You're asked straight questions, you provide straight answers. There is no way to present any other (correct) way.

Don't consider using a broker who isn't authorised to transact business.

Sounds like you've found a ghost broker. See another recent thread where an OP was victim to a ghost broker. He lost his money, had no insurance and is now facing wider repercussions.
    • Dangermac
    • By Dangermac 8th Mar 18, 6:52 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Dangermac
    erm..... the website is quite badly written.

They aren't FCA registered

as long as they don't tell fibs and use a UK insurer I'm prepared to let a few things slide

maybe

Make sure you keep a 2nd premium ready in the bank in case you need to take a replacement policy

Also, keep your fingers crossed that, as your appointed agent, they don't get a cancellation registered against your name by providing insurers with incorrect information, as you will probably need to declare the cancellation forever.
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 8th Mar 18, 8:18 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 3,565 Thanks
    rudekid48
    I've tried icukinsurance

they are Liverpool based and have a big panel of insurers. They take care over quotes and promise to provide one in about 24 hours

I think they "present" the info in positive ways to make the risk as attractive as poss

we shall see
    Dont do it, its not legit, you are about to enter a whole world of pain if you do and she needs to claim.

Here is the other thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5798550

As Paddy said above, google ghost broker. If you buy from them, any policy that you get will not be worth the paper it is printed on. You will lose your money and make her virtually uninsurable.

Your choice, but you have been warned, dont be tempted by a cheap price...
    Last edited by rudekid48; 08-03-2018 at 8:22 PM. Reason: Got rid of annoying iOS symbols
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 9th Mar 18, 6:55 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    spencer999
    I will check the other thread

to be fair, they suggested adding other drivers like me as that could bring the premium down

likewise, if she was a named driver on my policy, that might help

by the way, they have sent me a quote but not said who it's from

treading with extreme caution now

but let me check this other thread first

BRB
    • FlameCloud
    • By FlameCloud 9th Mar 18, 7:55 AM
    • 1,819 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    FlameCloud
    Assuming she owns, runs and keeps the car in L30, you are asking for Fronting issues if she is a named driver on your policy.

I appreciate that you want to lower the cost, but there is a limit to what you can do without crossing a line.
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 9th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    spencer999
    Sorry Flame, I didnt mean fronting, I'm well aware of that issue. I worked in insurance donkeys ago, and almost every day I got parents saying "I've bought another car for meself, and, er, I want to add my daughter"

I meant as well as her insuring her own car in her own name, if she could also be a named driver on my car, some insurers will look on that kindly

However I am now extremly wary of this outfit

nearly every 5* google review seems to come from one particular community

god is great
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 16,399 Posts
    • 41,445 Thanks
    elsien
    Adding you as a named driver to her policy is legit and may bring it down a little. Worked for me. Try Lloyds bank - they're an insurance panel and got me identical cover from the same underwriter for 150 cheaper on a 700 quote. Also got a good deal for 79 year old parent.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 9th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    I will check the other thread

to be fair, they suggested adding other drivers like me as that could bring the premium down

likewise, if she was a named driver on my policy, that might help

by the way, they have sent me a quote but not said who it's from

treading with extreme caution now

but let me check this other thread first

BRB

If they are suggesting anything without FCA registration I would steer clear.

Also since the Insurance Act 2016 came into place any miss-representation of the risk will result in void policy and they the insurance company can keep all your money with no refund as well.

So don't put her as a named driver on a car she is likely to be the main driver off as this is a miss-representation or as Icukinsurance put it "Suggesting things more positive"
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 9th Mar 18, 12:11 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    spencer999
    just to clarify again, I'm not intending to "front", she is the main driver on her own car. She will add me and her mum as drivers if it helps

also she is a named driver on her mum's car.
    • Piggywinkle
    • By Piggywinkle 9th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Piggywinkle
    Looking at http://www.motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php#L which rates insurance risk on a scale of A-F (A being a good post code/low risk and F being a bad postcode/high risk), L30 is rated as an E (high risk) and L39, where she used to live, was rated as a B (low risk) - this will go some way to explain the hiked premiums.

It's one of those things we have to suck up and get on with I'm afraid if we want the luxury of owning a car.
    • spencer999
    • By spencer999 9th Mar 18, 1:57 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    spencer999
    I think she's got confused. I checked with moneysupermarket and there is hardly any price difference - with the same insurer as before. I'll sort it out with her over the weekend

she only had a baby a few days ago so her head is spinning

and I am definitely going to give icukinsurance a wide swerve
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,030Posts Today

5,882Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin