Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 8th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 684Posts
    • 937Thanks
    anna_1977
    Shop Direct and Credit file
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    Shop Direct and Credit file 8th Mar 18 at 1:28 PM
    Hi
    I am on a DMP with SC and all my accounts defaulted April 2016 - except Shop Direct (very). They have put Arrangement to pay marker and say because SC are making payments on my behalf they won't default, even though I've fallen behind on payments and not paying what I should.

Do I ask SC to stop paying to force them to default? i can't see that I'll be able to pay the 2,600 balance off in the near future so is a default better than AP markers?

Thanks for any advice
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    Hi anna

StepChange almost certainly won't agree to stop paying the debt I'm afraid, given you agree that you that you owe it. The idea of a DMP is all your debts are included and treated fairly.

A creditor can choose to mark your credit file as having an arrangement in place where one has been negotiated. Or some will choose to register a default. You can try and argue a default should usually be registered once arrears have reached between 3 to 6 months, but they may not change their minds.

It could be worth asking the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) to consider your complaint if you don't get anywhere with the creditor.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • ohbumstoitall
    • By ohbumstoitall 9th Mar 18, 11:54 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    ohbumstoitall
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:54 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:54 AM
    Shop Direct took two years to default my husbands account, we'll be looking to get them to move it at some point.
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 9th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    anna_1977
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    Shop Direct took two years to default my husbands account, we'll be looking to get them to move it at some point.
    Originally posted by ohbumstoitall
    I'm guessing you weren't making any payments at all?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin