Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iceuk
    • By iceuk 8th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    iceuk
    My options for company payoff
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    My options for company payoff 8th Mar 18 at 1:01 PM
    Hi,

I've found myself in a situation where the company i work for is selling off one of it's products. The company that is acquiring this product will be my new employer as iím an important part of the deal and product.

Now the really important part! The company i currently work for will be giving me a six figure sum as part of the deal, however I'm just a generic employee within this company and are unsure of the tax implications in regards to the said lump sum.

What route should i be taking to get the best out of the deal?

Iíve not be informed as of yet how they expect to pay me, but i do have leverage on this part.

The sale should be taking place late April this year.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 8th Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • 9,387 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    Linton
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:35 PM
    It depends on exactly what this pay-off is for. If its redundancy from the old company the first £30K is tax free and the rest taxed as income. If it is a Golden Hello by the new company it is all taxed as income. There may be clever ways for the bonus to be paid, eg in shares in the new company - I dont know, you would need an expert.

Perhaps a maximum pension contribution may be worthwhile.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,867Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin