Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pledgeX
    • By pledgeX 8th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 481Posts
    • 130Thanks
    pledgeX
    Plasterboard fixings for triple boarded wall
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    Plasterboard fixings for triple boarded wall 8th Mar 18 at 12:56 PM
    Our party wall is lined with three lots of plasterboard (12.5mm each), meaning that some of the stronger fixings I've used in the past such as the gripit fixings and the spring toggle ones can't be used as they' can't cope with the thickness of the wall, and I can't separate the boards enough to all the 'wings' to open up.

What are the next best fixings in this scenario? I've used this type before, but they're quite small so would prefer something more heavy duty. Any suggestions?
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 8th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 6,678 Thanks
    bris
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    Those are the best ones, you can get different sizes in them so find the biggest size.

They can hold a lot of weight, a large double radiator full of water is pretty heavy and they do the job just fine.

The other alternative is hammer fixings that will penetrate though the 3 boards into the brick wall.

But if you can lift whatever it is you are fixing to the wall the first ones will work.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 8th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 8,103 Posts
    • 7,326 Thanks
    phill99
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    You can get some long butterfly/toggle fixings which would do the trick (70mm)
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 8th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 1,371 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:21 PM
    The reason you have that build up on a party wall is fire and sound protection, putting things through it isn't the best idea
    • Thurso man
    • By Thurso man 8th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Thurso man
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-spring-toggles-5-x-50mm-20-pack/4257x

This is what you want.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 9th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 24,321 Posts
    • 51,377 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    I've used these in the past. They are very effective and I would have thought that they'd cope with the thickness of board you describe.

http://buyrigifixonline.co.uk/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,306Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter