Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 8th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    • 2,386Posts
    • 1,404Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    EE causing nightmare - help please
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:55 PM
    EE causing nightmare - help please 8th Mar 18 at 12:55 PM
    I have been with Orange for many many years.
    I have now decided as the service and signal strength with EE is SO bad I wish to leave.
    In about November I phoned up and asked for (and got) my PAC number.
    I became ill -I am an OAP so it goes with the territory- and was not able to complete the process hence the PAC code lapsed.
    Now I am recovered I am again wanting to get my PAC number from EE. HOWEVER, major problem. It seems that since the end of last year and now, they have firstly 'lost' knowledge of my password on my account and secondly require me to divulge half of the digits of my bank account in order to pass their arbitrary security.
    When I declined and said please ask me anything else but I am not giving you ANY part of my dank details they became intransigent and said there is no other option but to find someone to transport me a 30 mile round trip to the nearest EE shop and take photo ID.
    Really?
    Is this really EE's idea of customer service?
    I have always had a password on my account so if it is no longer in place then that is down to EE not me.
    And for how long now have we been told to NEVER divulge ANY bank details at all.
    As a matter of principle it is utterly ridiculous for them to require sharing of bank details to random person on the end of a phone.
    When I asked to be escalated to the Directors department they refused point blank.
    I wish I could say I was shocked at their inability to understand why I will not give out even partial bank details but worse that they are so intransigent as to be unwilling to substitute an alternative question.
    Where to from here?
    I shall certainly be writing to the national press because you cannot expect to blame the customer for not keeping their banking information secure and then expect an ordinary company like EE to get to flout this advice. It's wrong. Just plain wrong.
    So I am wondering if anyone has a direct line number for someone higher up the tree who may just be able to apply some commonsense and empathy?>
    Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by flossy_splodge; 08-03-2018 at 1:09 PM.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    !!!8213; John Wooden
Page 1
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 8th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 5,796 Posts
    • 11,064 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    Give them the 3 digits of your bank account would be my advice, they already have the whole sort code and account number anyway lol. Youll make yourself ill (Or iller) stressing about this!!
    Choose life
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    I have been with Orange for many many years.
    I have now decided as the service and signal strength with EE is SO bad I wish to leave.
    In about November I phoned up and asked for (and got) my PAC number.
    I became ill -I am an OAP so it goes with the territory- and was not able to complete the process hence the PAC code lapsed.
    Now I am recovered I am again wanting to get my PAC number from EE. HOWEVER, major problem. It seems that since the end of last year and now, they have firstly 'lost' knowledge of my password on my account and secondly require me to divulge half of the digits of my bank account in order to pass their arbitrary security.
    When I declined and said please ask me anything else but I am not giving you ANY part of my dank details they became intransigent and said there is no other option but to find someone to transport me a 30 mile round trip to the nearest EE shop and take photo ID.
    Really?
    Is this really EE's idea of customer service?
    I have always had a password on my account so if it is no longer in place then that is down to EE not me.
    And for how long now have we been told to NEVER divulge ANY bank details at all.
    As a matter of principle it is utterly ridiculous for them to require sharing of bank details to random person on the end of a phone.
    When I asked to be escalated to the Directors department they refused point blank.
    I wish I could say I was shocked at their inability to understand why I will not give out even partial bank details but worse that they are so intransigent as to be unwilling to substitute an alternative question.
    Where to from here?
    I shall certainly be writing to the national press because you cannot expect to blame the customer for not keeping their banking information secure and then expect an ordinary company like EE to get to flout this advice. It's wrong. Just plain wrong.
    So I am wondering if anyone has a direct line number for someone higher up the tree who may just be able to apply some commonsense and empathy?>
    Thanks for reading.
    Originally posted by flossy_splodge

Sorry but you're totally in the wrong here.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 31,901 Posts
    • 20,086 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    Your told not to divulge bank details to anyone who rings you up out of the blue. Ive had to tell a member of staff at EE some numbers of my account to pass security and all was ok.

As long as you have rung the correct number for EE then whats wrong.

Re your password, sounds like an error has happened, its unfortunate yes but not worth the hassle.
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 8th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    Sorry but you're totally in the wrong here.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Matter of opinion and whilst I realise many folk let things 'go', I am not prepared to do so.
    The underlying principle is just plain wrong.
    There are many many other questions they could ask.
    So thanks for offering your 'opinion' as an absolute statement but I'm afraid I disagree.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    !!!8213; John Wooden
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:28 PM
    Matter of opinion and whilst I realise many folk let things 'go', I am not prepared to do so.
    So thanks for offering your 'opinion' as an absolute statement but I'm afraid I disagree.
    You can disagree all you like. I work with the media, this is a total non-story.

You are asked to clear security before they will discuss your account. They have no option on this. It's the law. Your opinion on it is irrelevant.

They can ask other questions, the system has highlighted this one - probably because YOU have already asked for this once - hence an extra layer of questions.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    You're making a huge fuss over nothing. It is you that is causing your so called nightmare.

Give them the four digits.
    Get your PAC code.
    Get on with your life.
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 8th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5,781 Posts
    • 19,025 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    I don't really get the issue here, correct me if I am wrong but...
    You have rung them; so they are asking you to confirm who you are by asking security questions which you will know from data that they already have about you.
    If they had rung you then I would say def not answer the question, but a couple of digits from your bank number is not really a big deal. Now if they were asking a full account number then maybe there would be an issue.
    I am guessing something happened with the password, maybe they have changed the rules on passwords so that yours doesn't now meet security criteria or you have got it wrong before or its just messed up who knows.

You'd be more upset if they didn't ask the security questions and someone ordered a brand new phone to a new address they just set up!!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright

Costa Rica & England in the MSE World Cup Sweepstake
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 8th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 7,749 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    It's a case of the frighteners from the media and a person who neither listens to nor understands what is actually relevent. Everyone has replied accordingly but then they will reject and/or criticise everything which shows no sympathy to their mistaken approach. Not too uncommon on here and it is similarly likely this thread will be pages long before they give up on that.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 8th Mar 18, 3:48 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    stragglebod
    @flossy_splodge - they already have your complete bank account number! You're not giving them any more information than they already have anway.

They're asking so they can cross reference what you say against the full number they already hold.

If you've ever written a cheque or paid something with a debit card, you've given out way way more information than you're being asked for here.

Stop stressing about this.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 8th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 9,376 Posts
    • 57,689 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Your bank account number is on any cheque you've ever written and numerous people will have seen this so it's not a secret number that only you know

EE have your bank account no, all they're asking is you to give a few digits, not the whole account number

You rang them, it's not some spammer ringing you

Lighten up, give them a call back with the account number, on a number that you know is EE

Why did you ask a question here if you weren't willing to agree with the answers
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • d123
    • By d123 8th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    It's not opinion, it's the law. EE have to comply with the Data Protection Act, you have to prove you are entitled to the information held on the account.

You can be obstinate and foolish, but you'll get no further, and no, it's not bad customer service, it is you at fault.
    Last edited by d123; 08-03-2018 at 4:57 PM.
    ====
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 8,502 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    pmduk
    OP, I'm sorry, but you really cannot blame anyone at EE for protecting your security. You have three options 1. Conduct your business in writing. 2. Conduct your business in person at an EE store, by satisfying their security requirements which you have been informed will require photo ID (Do you really dare show anyone that?). Or 3. Set up phone access again, which will require you to call them on a number you know to be an EE number and confirm your details. These are just the same details you happily gave them to set up your account in the first place. You can then create a new password. I suspect the old one disappeared when EE merged computer systems late last year. Unfortunately, these things happen.

EE is not being difficult for the sake of it. Both the company and the individual advisor face fines should they breach the Data Protection Act. These fines are increasing substantially soon under new GDPR and are outside EE's control.

When I worked for a network we were not allowed to escalate calls if the caller couldn't (or wouldn't) pass security. Other staff may not have the tools to successfully verify identity.
    Last edited by pmduk; 08-03-2018 at 9:17 PM. Reason: Added final para
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 8th Mar 18, 9:08 PM
    • 9,376 Posts
    • 57,689 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Flossy's been online but not replied or acknowledge our replies, clearly not what Flossy wanted to hear
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • sully1311
    • By sully1311 8th Mar 18, 9:30 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    sully1311
    You're just being a bit silly I'm afraid flossy.

No one can do anything with a partial bank account number.

You've probably put a block on the account now until you show ID at an EE store.
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 8th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    All sorted
    Many thanks to those that replied courteously and gently, I appreciate it.
    I emailed the CEO and in consequence have now had a conversation with someone at the highest level who has acknowledged what I have said and agrees I have a point.
    The point being, for those that missed it, it is not wise to tell folk to beware of ever giving out personal details and then to have a company the size of EE to say 'ah well we know what we're doing and it's our system and you have to do it our way'.
    There is no need for any security question to involve bank details. There are many other appropriate questions that can be asked. And EE have now accepted that point.
    I am fully aware of the ramifications of Data protection and the need for security. I do not object to that at all. Just think about how you are applying it.
    Mixed messages can be be a source of confusion to the vulnerable and in this case the whole problem ceases to exist if they do not ask for bank details, in whole, in part, back to front or any other way.
    Incidentally, I went into my bank branch this afternoon (which is why I wasn't replying on here!) and spoke to the manager who totally and absolutely 'got' the point I was making and said they wish there were more customers as cautious as I am. Well there's a turn up for the books.
    I'm tired and do not wish to have to write this response in greater detail. I hope the point is now understood by those who have been pretty rude.
    EE has understood and AGREED and that's the point really.
    I now have my PAC code (without giving any bank details as security!) and will be moving on.
    Thanks a lot to all.

!!!8213; John Wooden
    • PHK
    • By PHK 8th Mar 18, 11:23 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    PHK
    Many thanks to those that replied courteously and gently, I appreciate it.
    I emailed the CEO and in consequence have now had a conversation with someone at the highest level who has acknowledged what I have said and agrees I have a point.
    The point being, for those that missed it, it is not wise to tell folk to beware of ever giving out personal details and then to have a company the size of EE to say 'ah well we know what we're doing and it's our system and you have to do it our way'.
    There is no need for any security question to involve bank details. There are many other appropriate questions that can be asked. And EE have now accepted that point.
    I am fully aware of the ramifications of Data protection and the need for security. I do not object to that at all. Just think about how you are applying it.
    Mixed messages can be be a source of confusion to the vulnerable and in this case the whole problem ceases to exist if they do not ask for bank details, in whole, in part, back to front or any other way.
    Incidentally, I went into my bank branch this afternoon (which is why I wasn't replying on here!) and spoke to the manager who totally and absolutely 'got' the point I was making and said they wish there were more customers as cautious as I am. Well there's a turn up for the books.
    I'm tired and do not wish to have to write this response in greater detail. I hope the point is now understood by those who have been pretty rude.
    EE has understood and AGREED and that's the point really.
    I now have my PAC code (without giving any bank details as security!) and will be moving on.
    Thanks a lot to all.
    It's disappointing that you've not taken on board what people are saying. You've created a lot of stress for yourself, wasted EE and the banks time. It's also this sort of behaviour which is less secure. They are are asking you for partial information they already have. You would have been sharing no extra information and anyone over hearing could do nothing with it. Asking for password would tell someone listening what your password is!

The last digits of the account or card number are standard information and you'll even see this printed on bank information / emails. eg Your statement for account ending 1234 is now available.

You'll see it on invoices or statements of account. You'll see it on your bills . Your cheque book or paying in slip has the full bank account number and sort code. Even that is of limited use to a fraudster without more information.

I would suggest you look at the advice for older people and security, available from AgeUK or your bank.
    • d123
    • By d123 8th Mar 18, 11:35 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    I would guess the agent at the Exec Office decided to just get rid of the complaining caller ASAP, and so went for easier DPA questions to do so.
    ====
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 9th Mar 18, 4:14 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Korkyb
    I hope that whichever company you now decide to go with dont have the nerve to ask you for your bank details !!!

Wait a minute........................ :-o
    • Louisdf
    • By Louisdf 10th Mar 18, 8:09 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    Louisdf
    With o2 (happened to me) if you give the wrong password, they delete it and you have to go through additional security to get into your account.
    You can then set up a new password once you have confirmed additional security questions.
    EE probably do the same if you give the wrong password. I guess its to stop someone impersonating you from calling in repeatedly trying to guess the password.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

8,416Users online

Martin's Twitter