Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 8th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 912Posts
    • 212Thanks
    tazwhoever
    Interview times
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    Interview times 8th Mar 18 at 12:34 PM
    I know interviewees try to fit in when is possible for the interviewers. In timescale of interviews, is it best to be first on the list, middle or last?

Even interviewers making notes, etc. would answers, appearance, body language, etc. stay with them if you went first, middle, or last?

Thanks,

Forgot to add - the interviews can happen in one day or over few days.
    Last edited by tazwhoever; 08-03-2018 at 1:08 PM.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:02 PM
    Assuming this is all on one day

First is good, everyone is fresh, had their morning coffee etc.
    Middle can vary, better after lunch than before - everyones had a break and is fed.
    Last is good too, people are relieved it's over and you'll be the most recent memory. But with a caveat atleast from my experience - if you're last try to give some light hearted answers, make it abit more personal and see if you can make interviewers smile. (it's a very hard days work interviewing 4-8 people in one day)

I prefer first or last. Either you set the bar high or you go all out to ensure that they forget the other candidates.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 8th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 3,632 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:34 PM
    Statistically, it used to be last had greater chance of being offered the job.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 2,741 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    I've done a bit of recruitment and I really can't think of a time when the decision was close enough for the time of day to make a difference. I've always known who I want, usually in the first two minutes. But who knows, perhaps I'm blind to the workings of my mind and the time of day was actually a very important factor. In which case, go last but not later than 4pm. That's when any sensible person wants to start slowly packing up for the day.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 8th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:44 PM
    I was brought up on best to be first in !

One time I was told I was !!!8216;first in!!!8217; (so hey must be some notion in above) during the interview and after getting the job one particular time, peers revealed I was middle candidate!

Another time I remember being asked to chose a selection of times and then the interviewer actually decided which slot I!!!8217;d be having from my selection which I thought a bit peculiar!
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 2,741 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    I was brought up on best to be first in !

One time I was told I was !!!8216;first in!!!8217; (so hey must be some notion in above) during the interview and after getting the job one particular time, peers revealed I was middle candidate!

Another time I remember being asked to chose a selection of times and then the interviewer actually decided which slot I!!!8217;d be having from my selection which I thought a bit peculiar!
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Perhaps they analyse the time choices. No afternoon slots selected? Likes a few drinks with lunch. All end of the day? Partying all night.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    Morning or afternoon slots tend be to better for working people as you only need to book off half a day. - So I suspect when applicants have made their choices the company simply has to do its best to fit them in. Some people will simply have to go in the middle
    • Doodles
    • By Doodles 8th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 256 Thanks
    Doodles
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:08 PM
    I've been on a fair few interview panels now, interviewing NHS candidates, generally Bands 4-7.

Personally, I think being in the middle is a better time to be interviewed.

For the first interviewee, the panel is feeling fresh and keen to start the interview. However, from our perspective, we are also 'warming up' on the first candidate. The flow gets better from the panel after the first candidate. At least that has been my experience, and other panel members I've sat with.

The first person in also sets the benchmark with scoring.

If the panel has been interviewing all day, it's surprisingly tiring. A good interviewer would give no visible indication of that. However, in reality, by that time the final candidate comes in, the panel probably has a good idea of who they are going to give the job to, and who has scored highest so far. Unless all candidates have been poor, which sometimes happens. So the last candidate needs to be blooming good to change our minds!

So the last candidate is expected to 'wow' the panel more by that stage. I think there is more pressure on them to perform very well by that stage.

Just my perspective and experience though :-)
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 8th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 2,293 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:31 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:31 PM

If the panel has been interviewing all day, it's surprisingly tiring. A good interviewer would give no visible indication of that. However, in reality, by that time the final candidate comes in, the panel probably has a good idea of who they are going to give the job to, and who has scored highest so far. Unless all candidates have been poor, which sometimes happens. So the last candidate needs to be blooming good to change our minds!
    -)
    Originally posted by Doodles
    This sort of happened to me. The best job I ever had I got when I was the last interviewee. My prospective boss was on the interview panel and she told me later that the previous candidates weren't very good. I am not sure I was that much better but she said I made her laugh and she saw that we would be able to to work together.

I did a lot of Civil Service style interviews when I worked and I agree that I don't think it makes that much difference. We had at least three interviewers so there was usually quite a lively discussion about who was best (we could do eight interviews a day for some roles). I guess it might be different if there was a single interviewer?
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 8th Mar 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4,957 Posts
    • 8,043 Thanks
    KiKi
    If you're a great candidate and stand out from the rest it won't matter what time of day you're interviewed.
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,999Posts Today

8,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin