Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,253Posts
    • 470Thanks
    sevenhills
    Technology improvements in vehicles, snow
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    Technology improvements in vehicles, snow 8th Mar 18 at 12:20 PM
    Having been stuck in the snow today(because of queues), I am wondering if technology can help people drive better.
    I believe my VW Crafter minibus has so tech that help in the snow, anti lock brakes and lane discipline. I think my good driving help me, not the tech.
    I read online about the lorry driver that was on his mobile whilst he was on auto pilot(not sure the exact phrase) and he crashed on the motorway.
    Most front wheel drive cars should be able to cope, but they dont. Is it just a few that are inexperienced, wrong tyres etc? Is driving in the snow in the driving test?

Page 2
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    How can you consider yourself to be a careful driver whilst knowingly taking a vehicle on the road with 2 "borderline bald" tyres?

IMO, that doesn't make you careful, it makes you an idiot.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    Depends on how he defines bald.

If he means less than 1.6mm, how can you be an idiot by driving with 1.6mm of tread?
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    sevenhills
    There is now, there wasnít when I passed my test.
    But back to you, were you tested in the snow?
    If you think it should be included in the test what happens in August?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Rule 231Drive extremely carefully when the roads are icy. Avoid sudden actions as these could cause loss of control. You should
    • drive at a slow speed in as high a gear as possible; accelerate and brake very gently
    Well its in the Highway Code. I think drivers should do a theory test every 10 years. It could also include new rules that have been introduced.

• AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Well its in the Highway Code. I think drivers should do a theory test every 10 years. It could also include new rules that have been introduced.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Itís just advice and whatís the point of redoing a theory. Itís the practical part that causes problems.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 8th Mar 18, 8:30 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    JP1978
    Having been stuck in the snow today(because of queues), I am wondering if technology can help people drive better.
    I believe my VW Crafter minibus has so tech that help in the snow, anti lock brakes and lane discipline. I think my good driving help me, not the tech.
    I read online about the lorry driver that was on his mobile whilst he was on auto pilot(not sure the exact phrase) and he crashed on the motorway.
    Most front wheel drive cars should be able to cope, but they dont. Is it just a few that are inexperienced, wrong tyres etc? Is driving in the snow in the driving test?
    Sorry to put a driving god down but anti lock brakes are actually worse in the snow than cars without it......
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Itís just advice and whatís the point of redoing a theory. Itís the practical part that causes problems.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    On 22 December 2014 a bin lorry collided with pedestrians in the city centre of Glasgow, Scotland, killing six and injuring fifteen others.

The whole system needs to be under more scrutiny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Glasgow_bin_lorry_crash

• AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    On 22 December 2014 a bin lorry collided with pedestrians in the city centre of Glasgow, Scotland, killing six and injuring fifteen others.

The whole system needs to be under more scrutiny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Glasgow_bin_lorry_crash
    Exactly the practical application killed them.

How would re doing a theory test have prevented those deaths? Part of the problem was the driver failing to disclose a medical condition.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Mar 18, 8:38 PM
    • 27,211 Posts
    • 10,961 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Are you just googling accidents that have nothing to do with your topic?

The Bin Lorry incident, the driver had a medical condition. So what has any of your topic got to do with that incident?

Go and troll somewhere else.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 8th Mar 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    treboeth
    Personally I would not be driving on tyres with less than 2 mill never mind borderline illegal during the winter months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,110Posts Today

8,380Users online

Martin's Twitter