Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    • 1,250Posts
    • 470Thanks
    sevenhills
    Technology improvements in vehicles, snow
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:20 PM
    Technology improvements in vehicles, snow 8th Mar 18 at 12:20 PM
    Having been stuck in the snow today(because of queues), I am wondering if technology can help people drive better.
    I believe my VW Crafter minibus has so tech that help in the snow, anti lock brakes and lane discipline. I think my good driving help me, not the tech.
    I read online about the lorry driver that was on his mobile whilst he was on auto pilot(not sure the exact phrase) and he crashed on the motorway.
    Most front wheel drive cars should be able to cope, but they dont. Is it just a few that are inexperienced, wrong tyres etc? Is driving in the snow in the driving test?

Page 1
    • marcarm
    • By marcarm 8th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    marcarm
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:22 PM
    I would say that driving in snow is not in the driving test, otherwise they would only be able to administer tests 3 days out of the year! What about those people who want to take their test in July?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 8th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,486 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    Fitting winter tyres makes a huge difference... most tyres on UK vehicles have as much grip as supermarket shopping trolley wheels on snow and ice.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 8th Mar 18, 12:35 PM
    • 7,314 Posts
    • 6,594 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Scandinavians have to do some lessons on a skid track / skid pan, though it's not part of the test. That'd cover the basics.

I think in most cases it's lack of preparation or inadequate tyres.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 8th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:45 PM
    I believe my VW Crafter minibus has so tech that help in the snow, anti lock brakes and lane discipline. I think my good driving help me, not the tech.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    How does "lane discipline" (whatever that is) help you drive in the snow?

I read online about the lorry driver that was on his mobile whilst he was on auto pilot(not sure the exact phrase) and he crashed on the motorway.
    What's that got to do with you driving in the snow?

Is driving in the snow in the driving test?
    You've presumably passed your test, was it in yours? How on earth do you think they include driving in the snow for the 51 weeks of the year we don't have any?
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 8th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    telemarks
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:49 PM
    Having driven in the Finish Winter, the contrast to the UK could not be greater. They drive on hard packed snow and ice for months of the year, all at usual speeds, in normal cars (usually in the dark).

There seem to be three secrets:
    1. Electric heaters placed in cars overnight, on an extension lead with a timer to come on 1/2 hour before needed. You never see a frosty windscreen, with a credit card sized peep hole.
    2. Its a legal requirement to change to studded winter tyres between certain dates each year. These alone make driving on ice a breeze. New cars come with one set of alloys on summer tyres, and a set of steel rims with winter tyres. Local Tyre Garages store your off-season set off wheels for a small fee, and you call in to swap them over at the right time.
    3. They are used to a driving on ice, and no one panics when a car starts to slide sideways, and most just power slide out of the sideways drift.

Its not about the cars, its just preperation and experience.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    You've presumably passed your test, was it in yours? How on earth do you think they include driving in the snow for the 51 weeks of the year we don't have any?
    Originally posted by bigisi
    There is the theory test and the practical test.

• sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 470 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    Fitting winter tyres makes a huge difference... most tyres on UK vehicles have as much grip as supermarket shopping trolley wheels on snow and ice.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    I drive a 64 plate minibus, and I managed ok.

• EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 8th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    In previous years I've been driving in a Citroen C2, so nothing special or fancy, and while I'm driving steadily cars around me are sliding, wheels spinning and losing control. The difference? The driver. Anticipation of the road ahead, using the engine to brake not the brakes and no sudden steering wheel movements. Truth is most drivers are crap at the best of times with observation and anticipation, expecially young and inexperienced drivers. No car tech can compensate for that!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Mar 18, 3:53 PM
    • 3,033 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    Tarambor
    cars should be able to cope, but they dont. Is it just a few that are inexperienced, wrong tyres etc? Is driving in the snow in the driving test?
    Wrong tyres and lots of people who are nervous about driving in the snow who shouldn't be. Last Tuesday night when trying to get to work on a rural road yeah it was bad but you could keep going. It was snowing, the wind was drifting snow across the road and the guy in front of the car in front of me just came to a stop and put his hazards on. I just drove round the pair of them and continued on.

Lorries don't have autopilot. What they meant was the driver's brain was in autopilot which most people do when driving monotonous routes they do several times a week, week in, week out.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Mar 18, 4:41 PM
    • 17,597 Posts
    • 15,948 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I read online about the lorry driver that was on his mobile whilst he was on auto pilot(not sure the exact phrase)
    Cruise control. All that does is maintain the speed you tell it to, no more.

Most front wheel drive cars should be able to cope, but they dont. Is it just a few that are inexperienced, wrong tyres etc?
    Wrong tyres.

Modern tyres have rubber compounds that are focussed on either high grip or low rolling resistance. The compounds that enable those don't work well in low temperatures. Also, the tread patterns aren't great in snow.

Winter tyres are ubiquitous in many countries with similar climates to our own.

Is driving in the snow in the driving test?
    That would restrict the number of people who could take their test quite dramatically.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 8th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer

Wrong tyres.

Modern tyres have rubber compounds that are focussed on either high grip or low rolling resistance. The compounds that enable those don't work well in low temperatures. Also, the tread patterns aren't great in snow.

Winter tyres are ubiquitous in many countries with similar climates to our own.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I wonder if globalisation of products has led to less appropriate compounds being used in the UK? Obviously tyre technology has moved on a long way, but it does seem to me that chasing summer grip through tyre width and tread patterns and compounds has led to less versatile tyres - or perhaps tyres were just equally bad in all conditions. However, we got around alright in the bad winters of the 1980s that I recall, and my dad would drive around in the snow in the 1960s in the days when I remember walking to school in knee deep snow (admittedly not as long legs then).
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Mar 18, 5:16 PM
    • 17,597 Posts
    • 15,948 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I wonder if globalisation of products has led to less appropriate compounds being used in the UK?
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    Tyres aren't globalised, though. US, European and APAC ranges are very different, even if branding is similar.

Obviously tyre technology has moved on a long way, but it does seem to me that chasing summer grip through tyre width and tread patterns and compounds has led to less versatile tyres - or perhaps tyres were just equally bad in all conditions.
    Indeed. Remember that some new Fords were still being delivered on crossplies in the mid 70s...

However, we got around alright in the bad winters of the 1980s that I recall, and my dad would drive around in the snow in the 1960s in the days when I remember walking to school in knee deep snow (admittedly not as long legs then).
    Back in the days when a 175 tyre was wide, and 70 profile was low.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 8th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    I know in Croatia they have to change to winter tyres by law and it;s much warmer there than here.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    • 5,973 Posts
    • 2,717 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    I think it just comes down to being careful and driving to the conditions. I managed all last week on "summer" tyres even with 2 of them borderline bald.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 17,597 Posts
    • 15,948 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I know in Croatia they have to change to winter tyres by law and it;s much warmer there than here.
    Originally posted by barnaclebill
    ...in the summer, yes.

But they have much harsher winters.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 8th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    I think it just comes down to being careful and driving to the conditions. I managed all last week on "summer" tyres even with 2 of them borderline bald.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    How can you consider yourself to be a careful driver whilst knowingly taking a vehicle on the road with 2 "borderline bald" tyres?

IMO, that doesn't make you careful, it makes you an idiot.
    • B_G_B
    • By B_G_B 8th Mar 18, 7:06 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    B_G_B
    Proximity sensors triggered by falling snow. Car continually beeping driving down the road. Must find out if I can inhibit them.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 8th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 6,019 Thanks
    daveyjp
    Its that thing called personal responsibility again.

If you know you need your vehicle every day over winter fit winter tyres in October, this applies whether the car is 2 or 4 wheel drive.

However when you get 3 inches of snow in less than two hours in rush hour, as we did this morning, those buses and wagons already out will get stuck on hills.

If you are lucky you may find a way through with winter tyres. However you may also get stuck behind the VW with wide low profile summer tyres driven by a young driver who hadn!!!8217;t realised such a set up isn!!!8217;t ideal for trying to drive up a 1 in 10 hill with ice under the snow.

When you get out to push them and they ask you to drive you then know the person probably shouldn!!!8217;t be out. Me and the other volunteer refused, but we got the car moving enough to see it pull into the kerb and I then left them to it, but the gridlock was unblocked, but only until the next summer tyre shod eurobox or bus attempted the hill.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Mar 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,561 Posts
    • 1,005 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    There is the theory test and the practical test.
    There is now, there wasn’t when I passed my test.

But back to you, were you tested in the snow?

If you think it should be included in the test what happens in August?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,255Posts Today

8,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin