Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Careerdeathspiral
    • By Careerdeathspiral 8th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Careerdeathspiral
    Bank balance very odd help
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    Bank balance very odd help 8th Mar 18 at 11:22 AM
    Hi

I am currently earning a take home of 1944 a month. My current monthly outgoings are 1204 so this should leave 570 leftover

However im constantly needing to hit my savings as I can't get half way through the month without running out I cannot find where this 570 is going I've scanned every transaction in my bank statment this month and it adds up to 141 so dosnt account for the missing money. Should still have 429

At this point im at a loss as to whats happening. Is it possible for some type of fraud to take money without it showing?

Incidentally I did have a fraud transaction appear on my account the amount was 180 the bank even confirmed this on the phone however when the statement arrived It changed to 100 and i only got a refund on the 100 the balance is still been down by 80

Yep I've checked about 50 times and still cannot work out where the money is going.

Any ideas?
Page 2
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    RG2015
    Yes very strange that you believe you need to pay the BBC to watch any channel do you also pay Ford a fee when you buy a toyota? Or pay tesco a fee to shop in any other supermarket?

Beyond the illogical nature why would you continue to fund a company who have proven to have used the license fee payers money to cover up institutional child abuse in the biggest scale ever seen? Let alone being caught multiple times creating fake news propaganda stories. Bizarre indeed.
    Originally posted by Careerdeathspiral
    I meant it was a strange comment to post on a thread about balancing a bank statement.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1,899 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Yes very strange that you believe you need to pay the BBC to watch any channel do you also pay Ford a fee when you buy a toyota? Or pay tesco a fee to shop in any other supermarket?
    You do because the law says so.

Beyond the illogical nature why would you continue to fund a company who have proven to have used the license fee payers money to cover up institutional child abuse in the biggest scale ever seen? Let alone being caught multiple times creating fake news propaganda stories. Bizarre indeed.
    I'm sorry but this is just hyperbole and gibberish. It is worthy of the Daily Mail (that isn't praise, by the way).
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 8th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    I just don't know what to recommend here, a calculator or a psychiatrist.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 8th Mar 18, 10:53 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 4,027 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Good question.

As the OP has ignored/failed to answer my very simple question to him/her several times now, despite their returning to the thread each time, perhaps the latter would suit best.. I'm now giving up on the OP - and perhaps everyone else should too.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 8th Mar 18, 11:21 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    OP might finds these links useful:

OP could post a copy of their bank statement here, after carefully redacting personal information, to allow those with better number skills to assist them.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 9th Mar 18, 6:00 AM
    • 2,299 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The 1204 is as folllows

725 rent
    140 council tax
    120 for a club membership
    50 monthly food shop
    50 car insurance
    24 club membership
    24 software package
    23 phone
    19 software package
    19 internet
    10 software package

In addition there is 170 that goes out aswell
    100 garage rent
    70 finance agreement

Total 1374

1944-1374 =570

I pay with debit card for any additional spend these transactions such as ATM withdrawals and petrol station charges all add up to 141.

In addition I have not bought unusual amounts of stuff or any big purchases and cannot see where the 429 has gone.

On paper I should easily be able to save 300-400 a month. There is nothing in my spending that would be consuming this money. Yet I dont have it
    It seems to me that you are saying 'I earn X each month and I spend a fixed amount Y so I should have Z left but I don't' without actually looking at where the money is going from the account.
    Every transaction will be detailed on a statement. This is nothing to do with fraud as if a transaction was fraudulent it would still appear on the statement.
    Do you actually check your statements or are you just working on the 'I should have Z left each month' assumption without actually looking at the statements to see where it is going?

What you have written above is fine as a statement of your outgoings but it is absolutely meaningless in terms of your actual day-to-day bank balance.

For example, lets take the 50 monthly food shop. Do you withdraw 50 in cash once a month or do you pay by debit card or by credit card or how? How does this 50 monthly food shop appear on your bank statement.

You need to actually check your bank statements and you will see where the money is going. Every transaction will be shown there.

You say that you spend an additional 141 every month for things like petrol. That's about 35 a week. You say you use your debit card for this so the transactions will all be there in black and white on your statement. Presumably this covers your petrol, your travel costs for getting to and from work and so on? Do you really exist on 50 worth of food a month plus whatever is left from the 35 per-week after you have bought your petrol and covered your travel costs to and from work? No eating out, no lunches at work, no drinks in the pub. no cups of coffee out anywhere? What about other household needs for the bathroom, kitchen, cleaning etc. Car repairs. MOT. You make no mention of gas and electricity costs. If you use pre-payment meters does this come out of the 35 per-week as well? Do you never buy clothes? And so on ....
    You also appear to be spending a disproportionate amount of your income on club memberships and software packages.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 09-03-2018 at 7:05 AM.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Mar 18, 7:12 AM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,649 Thanks
    Robin9
    Still so many unanswered questions. A monthly budget cannot be rigid as some things only appear once a quarter, once a year, holidays, car servicing/MOT ?

I don't believe you only spend 50 a month on food. 3 meals a day for under 2 ? What about the coffees and sandwiches you buy on the way to work - the milk and bread you buy on the way home; does that really come out of your 141 ATM withdrawal ?

What about utilities ?

I'm still waiting to know about what you use for cash ?

Sadly I think the post #23 re a physciatrist is relevant - have a look at OP other thread on employment.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 9th Mar 18, 8:16 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Obviously not can you read?
    Petrol station charges are exactly that money spent at petrol stations ( not sure what you are trying to infer here) I spend 50 a month in a big food shop and freeze things 50 is pleanty. VED I pay annually not monthly and I dont pay the !!!!!phile proctection racket fund AKA BBC "TV license"
    Yes very strange that you believe .............
    I've got to say that after reading your replies on this thread and previous threads on a career change, you seem very angry at the world (and people).

My advice is not to ask questions on an internet forum if you're going to be angry at those answering you. Very soon you'll find people will ignore you, or you will be treated as a troll and then you'll be even angrier.
    • Badger50
    • By Badger50 9th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Badger50
    Given the club memberships and software packages I would check for any old direct debits and standing orders which haven't been cancelled. And some organisations may retain debit card details and call off from them on a regular basis. (Subscriptions to Which? magazine work like this).
    • Shashy
    • By Shashy 9th Mar 18, 9:27 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Shashy
    Best thread of the week. By a mile.

WHAT. WAS. YOUR. OPENING. BALANCE?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Mar 18, 8:06 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I think they've gone
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 12th Mar 18, 8:19 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    camelot1971
    Hi

I am currently earning a take home of 1944 a month. My current monthly outgoings are 1204 so this should leave 570 leftover
    Rather than you getting stroppy with people trying to help you should focus on your own inability to do maths. 1944 - 1204 = 743, not 570.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Mar 18, 8:59 AM
    • 7,168 Posts
    • 7,618 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Rather than you getting stroppy with people trying to help you should focus on your own inability to do maths. 1944 - 1204 = 743, not 570.
    Originally posted by camelot1971
    When correcting other people's maths, it's generally a good idea to get your own right: 1944 - 1204 = 740
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 12th Mar 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    eschaton
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve

Both !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin