Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Careerdeathspiral
    • By Careerdeathspiral 8th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Careerdeathspiral
    Bank balance very odd help
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:22 AM
    Bank balance very odd help 8th Mar 18 at 11:22 AM
    Hi

I am currently earning a take home of 1944 a month. My current monthly outgoings are 1204 so this should leave 570 leftover

However im constantly needing to hit my savings as I can't get half way through the month without running out I cannot find where this 570 is going I've scanned every transaction in my bank statment this month and it adds up to 141 so dosnt account for the missing money. Should still have 429

At this point im at a loss as to whats happening. Is it possible for some type of fraud to take money without it showing?

Incidentally I did have a fraud transaction appear on my account the amount was 180 the bank even confirmed this on the phone however when the statement arrived It changed to 100 and i only got a refund on the 100 the balance is still been down by 80

Yep I've checked about 50 times and still cannot work out where the money is going.

Any ideas?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 7,080 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:57 AM
    I'm not wanting to sound silly but do you have an overdraft on the account that your money is getting paid into which you are or have used in the past?

As in when your pay in going into your account, your balance of cash is actually less as you are paying the balance of the overdraft off?
    Hiraeth
    • Careerdeathspiral
    • By Careerdeathspiral 8th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Careerdeathspiral
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:58 AM
    Obviously not can you read? 1944-1204 =740

740 -170=570

570-141 =429

Hence all bills add to 1204 with an additional 170 that I forgot to mention in OC that gives 570

EVERY ADDITIONAL TRANSACTION ON STATMENT adds to 141

So.how does 570-141 =0
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 8th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 13,194 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:12 PM
    Obviously not can you read? 1944-1204 =740

740 -170=570

570-141 =429

Hence all bills add to 1204 with an additional 170 that I forgot to mention in OC that gives 570

EVERY ADDITIONAL TRANSACTION ON STATMENT adds to 141

So.how does 570-141 =0
    Originally posted by Careerdeathspiral
    You sound stressed. Serious comment: being stressed causes mistakes and makes it difficult to spot those mistakes. The solution is to stop, have a cup of tea (or whatever) and then come back to the problem afresh.

You can check for 'hidden' fraudulent transactions (very unlikely) like this:
    1) Add up all the debits on the statement.
    2) Add up all the credits on the statement.
    3) Take the statement starting balance, add the total credits figure (2) and subtract the total debits figure (1). The result should equal the statement final balance.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 8th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:18 PM
    At this point im at a loss as to whats happening. Is it possible for some type of fraud to take money without it showing?
    No

I am currently earning a take home of 1944 a month. My current monthly outgoings are 1204 so this should leave 570 leftover

However im constantly needing to hit my savings as I can't get half way through the month without running out I cannot find where this 570 is going I've scanned every transaction in my bank statment this month and it adds up to 141 so dosnt account for the missing money. Should still have 429
    Your bank statement rolls over from month to month. Your income and outgoings don't. So it's not enough to tot up the incoming and outgoings. You need to take account of the opening balance. Have you done this?

Take the opening balance , add the incoming payments, take away outgoing payments and you should have the closing balance. If you don't there is something wrong. But I doubt the bank have got it wrong.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 8th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    In the short term your statement balance and available balance might be different due to uncleared cheques, authorised payments that haven't yet hit the statement, pending fees and so on.

If you're going through historical statements and the figures aren't adding up then that's different.Obviously I wouldn't recommend posting that kind of information online for us to look at, but maybe take them to your bank and ask them to go through them step by step. Just to be clear, the issue isn't transactions that you don't recognise, but the actual credits and debits don't reconcile? In theory that shoudln't be possible.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 8th Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    • 4,524 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    Try a spreadsheet - many banks will allow you to export your account data.

An option is good 'piggybanking' - using a separate account for spending and for bill payments.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 8th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    OP can we take a step back please ?

What is your 1204 made up of - mortgage/rent; elec; gas; insurance; mobile phone; sky etc etc

How do get cash ? How do you pay your credit card bill ? Do you write out cheques where there is a delay before they show on your account ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Careerdeathspiral
    • By Careerdeathspiral 8th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Careerdeathspiral
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:13 PM
    The 1204 is as folllows

725 rent
    140 council tax
    120 for a club membership
    50 monthly food shop
    50 car insurance
    24 club membership
    24 software package
    23 phone
    19 software package
    19 internet
    10 software package

In addition there is 170 that goes out aswell
    100 garage rent
    70 finance agreement

Total 1374

1944-1374 =570

I pay with debit card for any additional spend these transactions such as ATM withdrawals and petrol station charges all add up to 141.

In addition I have not bought unusual amounts of stuff or any big purchases and cannot see where the 429 has gone.

On paper I should easily be able to save 300-400 a month. There is nothing in my spending that would be consuming this money. Yet I dont have it
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 8th Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    Zanderman
    I pay with debit card for any additional spend these transactions such as ATM withdrawals and petrol station charges all add up to 141.

In addition I have not bought unusual amounts of stuff or any big purchases and cannot see where the 429 has gone.

On paper I should easily be able to save 300-400 a month. There is nothing in my spending that would be consuming this money. Yet I dont have it
    Have you checked the opening balance??
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 8th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 1,636 Thanks
    Robin9
    Where do you get cash from ?

Any Contactless payments ?

You must buy more food than 50 in a month
    Last edited by Robin9; 08-03-2018 at 3:34 PM.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    Can you fill in the opening and closing balances from your bank statement on the month that you have quoted

Opening balance xxx
    Take home pay 1,944
    Expenses A -1,204
    Expenses B -170
    Expenses C -141
    Closing balance xxx
    Last edited by RG2015; 08-03-2018 at 3:36 PM.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    Once you have balanced your bank account check out the budgeting tools on any one of the links below. You might find them useful for budgeting and planning.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/support-articles/manage-your-account/budget-calculator

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/tools/budget-planner

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/life-moments/managing-your-money/budget-calculator.html
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 8th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    ramblehan
    Hiya. Might be worth looking into YNAB, an online budgeting tool, it will definitely help you track your spends and also save up in saving pots. Good luck.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 8th Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    • 5,594 Posts
    • 4,916 Thanks
    mgdavid
    You spend *EXACTLY* 50 every month on food?
    Something's not quite right here....

and whoever calls fuel 'petrol station charges' - or is it something else?
    what about VED on the car?
    TV licence?
    Last edited by mgdavid; 08-03-2018 at 6:28 PM.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • Careerdeathspiral
    • By Careerdeathspiral 8th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Careerdeathspiral
    Petrol station charges are exactly that money spent at petrol stations ( not sure what you are trying to infer here) I spend 50 a month in a big food shop and freeze things 50 is pleanty. VED I pay annually not monthly and I dont pay the !!!!!phile proctection racket fund AKA BBC "TV license"
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    Petrol station charges are exactly that money spent at petrol stations ( not sure what you are trying to infer here) I spend 50 a month in a big food shop and freeze things 50 is pleanty. VED I pay annually not monthly and I dont pay the !!!!!phile proctection racket fund AKA BBC "TV license"
    How very strange.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 8th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Thanks for that clarification!

Can you possibly let us know the opening balance from the bank statement? Without this information I don't think anyone here can help you much.

Thanks.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 2,815 Posts
    • 1,958 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Rather than people on this forum guessing what's going on, if you think the sums don't add up wouldn't it be a good idea to get an appointment at your bank for them to go through your statements with you? They can explain what's going on & even refund you if things aren't right, as you claim.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Careerdeathspiral
    • By Careerdeathspiral 8th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Careerdeathspiral
    How very strange.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Yes very strange that you believe you need to pay the BBC to watch any channel do you also pay Ford a fee when you buy a toyota? Or pay tesco a fee to shop in any other supermarket?

Beyond the illogical nature why would you continue to fund a company who have proven to have used the license fee payers money to cover up institutional child abuse in the biggest scale ever seen? Let alone being caught multiple times creating fake news propaganda stories. Bizarre indeed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin