Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joeblags
    • By joeblags 8th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 158Posts
    • 107Thanks
    joeblags
    simple best savings account
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    simple best savings account 8th Mar 18 at 11:20 AM
    which at present is the best savings account around? after Tesco online saver removes the dd function soon to fund them, ill be closing them along with 1 or 2 current accounts that used them dd's to meet the account requirements. I would of put more effort in to finding some dd's but given the reduction in interest rates im not going messing just to keep a couple of BoS accounts open for next to no interest each month. at the moment I am looking to just dump it all into my Halifax web saver. so what ever is the best no messing about account I can just dump the cash in and leave it there.
Page 1
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:09 PM
    How much and for how long?
    • joeblags
    • By joeblags 8th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    joeblags
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:29 PM
    20 - 25k , unknown on time but don't want to lock it away either.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    Easy access savings accounts

NS&I Direct Saver 0.95%
    Virgin Money 1.01%
    Tesco Bank 1.21% but after 1 year goes down to 0.55%
    Ford Money 1.22%
    RCI Bank 1.30% but in the French guarantee scheme not the UK one covered by FSCS
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 25,599 Posts
    • 15,128 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:28 PM
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/article-1583859/Best-savings-rates-General-savings-Internet-branch.html
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:39 PM
    Thanks.

This is a good comparison table but note that the Tesco account shows 1.26% when the current offering is only 1.21%
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:51 PM
    Easy access savings accounts

NS&I Direct Saver 0.95%
    Virgin Money 1.01%
    Tesco Bank 1.21% but after 1 year goes down to 0.55%
    Ford Money 1.22%
    RCI Bank 1.30% but in the French guarantee scheme not the UK one covered by FSCS
    Originally posted by RG2015
    You missed some out:

Virgin Money Double Take E-Saver =1.3% (only two withdrawals per year)
    ICICI Bank HiSave Bonus Saver = 1.28%

Both of these are offering better rates than the ones you listed (except for RCI) and are covered by FSCS.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 08-03-2018 at 7:53 PM.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:56 PM
    Thanks.

This is a good comparison table but note that the Tesco account shows 1.26% when the current offering is only 1.21%
    Not the only account with out of date rates. ICICI Bank's rate is showing incorrectly too. I didn't bother checking any more.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 8th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 2,601 Posts
    • 1,981 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    I struggle to contribute to these cash savings threads - the differences between providers is marginal and it just seems to be accepting defeat to put money away in an account that is almost certain to under perform against inflation.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 8th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    mollycat
    If english is not your 1st language you are excused; but otherwise please, its would have, not would of!!

Who is teaching people this stuff?

ps. Nothing to add re the OP
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    RG2015
    You missed some out:

Virgin Money Double Take E-Saver =1.3% (only two withdrawals per year)
    ICICI Bank HiSave Bonus Saver = 1.28%

Both of these are offering better rates than the ones you listed (except for RCI) and are covered by FSCS.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    I assumed that the OP wanted regular instant access so I excluded the Virgin double. I also dismissed the ICICI owing to the negative comments on the recent thread where this was discussed.

I also believe that neither satisfies the OP's criterion of being simple especially the reported slow ICICI email responses.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Mar 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    If english is not your 1st language you are excused; but otherwise please, its would have, not would of!!

Originally posted by mollycat
    Nobody is teaching people to write, "of " when they mean "have". It is due to people never actually learning the language properly in the first place. You see it amongst a lot of children who definitely have been taught the difference (repeatedly), but they don't make the effort to learn it. You can teach something, but if the person being taught doesn't choose to learn then they won't.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 8th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 30,157 Posts
    • 18,015 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy

Is it "its" or is it "it's"?
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    RG2015

Therefore your contribution is a gratuitous digression about the poor use of English on an internet forum.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Mar 18, 8:31 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I assumed that the OP wanted regular instant access so I excluded the Virgin double. I also dismissed the ICICI owing to the negative comments on the recent thread where this was discussed.

I also believe that neither satisfies the OP's criterion of being simple.
    Opinion on whether there are difficulties with ICICI are divided and remain anecdotal. I have never used them so I cannot speak from experience, but the number of responses in that thread are so few that drawing conclusions is highly dubious. I'm not convinced it is complex either.

Why is the Virgin Money Double-Take account complex? It all looks pretty straightforward to me. I did point out that it did only allow two withdrawals a year, and the OP didn't specify that there could be no withdrawal limits, only that they didn't want the money locked away. There is a big distinction between limited withdrawals and no access for a given period.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    RG2015

Is it "its" or is it "it's"?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Brilliant!

Dreadful omission of an apostrophe in a post complaining about the bad use of the English language.

Oh the irony!
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Brilliant!

Dreadful omission of an apostrophe in a post complaining about the bad use of the English language.

Oh the irony!
    English should have had a capital letter too.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Mar 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,275 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    RG2015
    Opinion on whether there are difficulties with ICICI are divided and remain anecdotal. I have never used them so I cannot speak from experience, but the number of responses in that thread are so few that drawing conclusions is highly dubious. I'm not convinced it is complex either.

Why is the Virgin Money Double-Take account complex? It all looks pretty straightforward to me. I did point out that it did only allow two withdrawals a year, and the OP didn't specify that there could be no withdrawal limits, only that they didn't want the money locked away. There is a big distinction between limited withdrawals and no access for a given period.
    It is a matter of opinion. Thanks to all of our varied contributions here the OP should have enough information to make an informed decision.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 8th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    Not the only account with out of date rates. ICICI Bank's rate is showing incorrectly too. I didn't bother checking any more.
    I don't know why you think ICICI's rate is out of date. The rate is 1.34% gross/1.35%AER, which is what the table shows.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Mar 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 1,895 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I don't know why you think ICICI's rate is out of date. The rate is 1.34% gross/1.35%AER, which is what the table shows.
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    Because the rate includes a bonus of 0.7% until 31st January 2019. With less than 12 months until that date the effective rate is now 1.28%.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,637Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin