Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • carcuscrae
    • By carcuscrae 8th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    • 263Posts
    • 47Thanks
    carcuscrae
    AutoAid - Cover for common-law partner
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:57 AM
    AutoAid - Cover for common-law partner 8th Mar 18 at 10:57 AM
    Hi

Martins money tips this week included a great offer from AutoAid for 15 months for the price of 12. In the post it states the following :-

Free cover for a husband, wife, civil partner or common-law partner. The same cover applies to your spouse or civil partner, or for those with a common-law partner (though you'll need to provide proof of the relationship within seven days, such as a utility bill, shared ownership of residential property or joint lease or rental agreement).

However, when I got to AutoAid's site and check their FAQ's it says this :-

Does my breakdown insurance with AutoAid cover my spouse/partner/civil partner?

However, if you are not legally married or in a civil partnership, we are unable to cover a common-law partner under the same policy. If your partner would like to become an AutoAid Breakdown member, a separate breakdown policy would be needed.

Can someone confirm if it does or does not include cover for a common law partner please?

Thanks
Page 1
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 8th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,900 Thanks
    fatrab
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:05 AM
    I would go with the statement on AutoAid's website. Why don't you give them a call to find out for definite?
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    May's targets - Lose 1 stone - 6lbs off, 21/31 AFDs, 13/18 lunches.
    37 x 2 coins (#32) - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    • brewthebear
    • By brewthebear 8th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    brewthebear
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    Im with autoaid have been for years and NO it has never covered common law partners before unless this is new... still good value though
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 8th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    mollycat
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    Im with autoaid have been for years and NO it has never covered common law partners before unless this is new... still good value though
    Originally posted by brewthebear
    This ^^^^^. Its clear enough in their conditions, although i haven't looked for ages.

Bit of a bummer, but like brewthebear, Im happy.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 8th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    Audi are more likely to be correct, especially in view of the fact that there is no such thing as a "common law partner" (or none that easily holds any water legally, anyway).
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 8th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 2,921 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:46 PM
    Common law partner doesn't exits as a legal status in England/Wales ... you may find cover available for co-habiting couples perhaps ?
    • ask66
    • By ask66 28th Mar 18, 12:13 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    ask66
    • 28th Mar 18, 12:13 AM
    • 28th Mar 18, 12:13 AM
    Looks from this link: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/breakdown-cover#BBtwo as if AutoAid are now including common-law couples - unless it's just for MSE readers? Worth a phone call to AutoAid if this would affect you, and you're thinking of taking a policy out!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 28th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 17,362 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 28th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 28th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    Common law partner doesn't exits as a legal status in England/Wales ...
    Originally posted by TonyMMM
    ^ This. Their very use of this phrase says quite a bit about where they're coming from, especially given that it is such a recent change.

you may find cover available for co-habiting couples perhaps ?
    AutoAid certainly didn't - we've lived together ("lived in sin" if you believe my mother...) for 20 years, and would have needed two separate policies from AutoAid.

I thought I recalled that they'd changed this recently, though, to bring them in line with the last few decades of the 20th century, let alone this one. The form on their website now includes "common-law partner" <rolls eyes>, but various other bits of their site are not yet updated.
    https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/Join.aspx
    It makes me wonder what'd happen in the event of her needing recovering...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin