Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sabelu
    • By sabelu 8th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 1,071Posts
    • 100Thanks
    sabelu
    0 WOW
    Jungfraujoch & Schilthorn as well as motorway toll
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    0 WOW
    Jungfraujoch & Schilthorn as well as motorway toll 8th Mar 18 at 10:12 AM
    Some quick fire questions reference the above as I am oooking to visit in June.

Which is the best value to take the railway to Jungfraujoch or cable car to schilthorn?

Is it good to buy the half price card as I will do one of these trips as well as the lake Thun boat and other buses?

Have seen there are motorway tolls are these expensive is there a way of reducing I will be coming in from koblenz to Interlaken and leaving Interlaken heading for Budapest so not sure how costly or advantageous motorways will be?

Any other tips for sightseeing in the area?

Regards,
    It pays to challenge
Page 1
    • martindow
    • By martindow 8th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 4,281 Thanks
    martindow
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    As ever seat61 is the place to go for rail info

https://www.seat61.com/jungfrau.htm

Sit down first before you look at the fares ...
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 8th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:45 AM
    Some quick fire questions reference the above as I am oooking to visit in June.

Which is the best value to take the railway to Jungfraujoch or cable car to schilthorn?
    Originally posted by sabelu
    Personal choice. Which will you enjoy more? Try both?
    Is it good to buy the half price card as I will do one of these trips as well as the lake Thun boat and other buses?
    If you are planning just for these excursions, the card would be expensive. It works better over a year, or for multiple journeys in a shorter period. Anyway, sounds like you will have a car to get around.
    Have seen there are motorway tolls are these expensive is there a way of reducing I will be coming in from koblenz to Interlaken and leaving Interlaken heading for Budapest so not sure how costly or advantageous motorways will be?
    You buy a windscreen sticker ('vignette') at the border valid for Swiss motorways for a year. Current cost is 40 CHF. https://en.comparis.ch/autoversicherung/recht-gesetz/information/autobahnvignette-2018

For onward travel to Austria and Hungary, you will need to check again. I know that Austria has tolls, not sure about Hungary.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 8th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 19,367 Posts
    • 44,904 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:50 AM
    We did both Jungfrau and Schilthorn, they are both very different experiences.

Jungfrau is a whole day trip by the time you've got the train up had a good look around and a snowball fight then back down, be aware than you can't rush around up there, the air is very thin, it covers a large area and there is a lot to see and do. I also got altitude sickness and had to wait a good hour before I could drive once we were back down.

Schilthorn can be easily done in a morning or afternoon, the cable car ride is spectacular as are the views once you're up there, my husband and one of my sons did the walk out on to mountain, I just stayed in the visitor centre playing with the snow.

We had the Swiss Travel Pass which makes Schilthorn free, along with most other cable cars, and a 50% discount on Jungfrau, we also used it to visit Pilatus and Reichenbach Falls.

If you don't want to pay the motorway toll you should be able to set your satnav or google maps to avoid motorway, TBH once you're actually in Switzerland you rarely use them anyway, it's really just driving into Switzerland but non-toll roads take in a lot of the main routes, obviously a lot more slowly. You buy a sticker on the way in that lasts a year, so you're covered if you happen to wander on to motorways at any time
    Last edited by peachyprice; 08-03-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 9th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:59 AM
    If you don't want to pay the motorway toll you should be able to set your satnav or google maps to avoid motorway ...
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Ah, yes. Satnav.

Sometimes you will see the same destination twice, one with a green background, the other with a blue background. Motorway signs in Switzerland are GREEN (like in Belgium), main roads are BLUE. (Motorway signs in the UK, Germany and more are blue.)

If you don't have the vignette, it's important to select blue, when given a choice.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 9th Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:01 PM
    H, we visited the Schilthorn on part of a rad trip a few years back. We drove in from italy, and didn't have the vignette on the hire car, but didn't go on any motorways.

We didn't go up the Jungfrau, but did stay the night at a fab bur basic B+B up the first station of the Sclithorn cable car in Gremmelwald (https://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/pension-gimmelwald.en-gb.html), it's car free, so parked at the bottom. The following morning we were up really early to take advantage of the cheaper lift price to the top (checked the webcam first to make sure it wasn't too cluded in). It was worth the trip, amazing view, and we splashed out on the buffet breakfast in the revolving restaurant. It was a lot busier after 9 ish up there. It was nice and quiet when we went up, think it was by 8am or something for the early bird ticket.

For us the early start made it more affordable, and I can really recommend the night here, the food was amazing, and a great atmosphere, after we came down we had a walk to the waterfall nearby the hotel, which was through pastures and just stunning. Not a difficult walk, we're no hikers! Would love to go back and ski this area.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 8,481 Posts
    • 8,794 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    It was the Swiss Rail Travel Pass for me to these places as well - and as well as the main railways, showing it it also often got us a discount of varying amounts on all sorts of cable car/funicular/mountain railway.

IMO it was the best bargain to be had in all of my visits to Switzerland.

And the easiest way to avoid the Vingette is to not cross the border on a Motorway and avoid using them, Swiss roads are good, so in most cases there is a good/acceptable and far more senic non-motorway option to drive down but tackling some of the main mountain passes is a fun, slower but petrol-heavy option.
    Last edited by pogofish; 09-03-2018 at 9:10 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,659Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin