Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 8th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    • 8,350Posts
    • 1,975Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Should I change tarrifs ?
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:08 AM
    Should I change tarrifs ? 8th Mar 18 at 9:08 AM
    I am on Scottish Powers ONLINE FIXED PRICE ENERGY JUNE 2018 tariff - paying just £25 per month dual fuel - and have received an offer from SP to change tariffs now - and receive £20 cashback !!
    I know that my present tariff is the cheapest out there - and when I change, my costs are going to ramp up a lot - but is it worth changing now for £20 and also securing a deal for the next 2 years +
    ie) What is going to happen over the next year/2 years to prices ?

I prefer to stay with SP - I have £145 WHD coming in a couple of months !!
    Last edited by 50Twuncle; 08-03-2018 at 9:11 AM.
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 27,361 Posts
    • 13,390 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:11 AM
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    My crystal ball has gone cloudy!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 5,909 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    I am on Scottish Powers ONLINE FIXED PRICE ENERGY JUNE 2018 tariff - paying just £25 per month dual fuel - and have received an offer from SP to change tariffs now - and receive £20 cashback !!
    I know that my present tariff is the cheapest out there - and when I change, my costs are going to ramp up a lot - but is it worth changing now for £20 and also securing a deal for the next 2 years +

I prefer to stay with SP - I have £145 WHD coming in a couple of months !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle
    You can bet your WHD on the fact that no supplier is going to offer a 2 year fix that it thinks will cost it money. How you actually checked the SP offer by doing a full market comparison using kWhs/year estimated consumption rather than £s?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 10,497 Posts
    • 4,431 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:09 AM
    My best guess is prices up rather than down.
    So a two year fix for me at the same sort of cost that Flow offered a new contract at .
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 8th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 3,670 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:19 AM
    You can bet your WHD on the fact that no supplier is going to offer a 2 year fix that it thinks will cost it money. How you actually checked the SP offer by doing a full market comparison using kWhs/year estimated consumption rather than £s?
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Can't do a full market comparison when WHD is involved because some suppliers do it and some don't. The best that can be done is to enter WHD as a search parameter on a comparison site. MSE CEC for example offer that.

In answer to the OP, as stated previously no-one knows what will happen in the next 12 months unless they have a working crystal ball. The benefit of Scottish Power is that they offer switching to another of their tariffs without payment of the exit fee which means that you'll benefit from lower prices which will likely be in response to overall market changes. So if Scottish Power continue to allow changing to a different tariff free of the exit fee the amount of time a fixed tariff is to run is largely irrelevant unless you think you might want to switch to a different supplier.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 8th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 30,627 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    Check out You're stitched dot con for exclusive SP deals. I changed last month from a two year fixed with SP to the April Super Saver!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter