Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • druidgirl
    • By druidgirl 8th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    druidgirl
    gas meters
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:39 AM
    gas meters 8th Mar 18 at 8:39 AM
    Hi, I'm new on here and want to ask a question. We got a gas meter installed a year or so ago as we were going to replace our night storage heaters with gas central heating. We had to put it on hold due to family illness and have now decided against getting gas heating. This means our meter is doing nothing. There are no pipes leading from it into the property as we have no gas appliances. The question is - should we be paying for a gas supply, including (or only) a monthly standing charge?
Page 1
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 27,333 Posts
    • 13,378 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    Welcome to the forum.

If gas is connected to the meter you will pay a Daily Standing Charge(DSC).

If your decision not to have gas is long term, you can get it disconnected(capped)
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 8th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 6,960 Posts
    • 5,723 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:48 AM
    The question is - should we be paying for a gas supply, including (or only) a monthly standing charge?
    Are you asking because you are paying a standing charge or because you're not but think you should be?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 8th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    Do what I did and switch to Ebico zero.No standing charges but high tariff.No problem for you because you are nt using any gas.Keep your gas meter in situ.
    There may be extra costs either to cap it to begin with or uncap the gas meter later on. .Typically suppliers charge around 70 for a visit from a suppliers contracted meter fitters to come out. Suppliers have to pay for this service and they may/should pass it on to you.
    Keep your gas supply. You may change your mind about heating which relies on heating some old bricks up and getting warm whilst they cool down then they go cold in the evening just when it gets at the coldest.
    .Gas central heating is far superior and convenient and comes with constant hot water too.
    Last edited by House Martin; 08-03-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    • druidgirl
    • By druidgirl 8th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    druidgirl
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:12 AM
    thanks everyone for your quick replies. We're currently 300 + in credit with our gas supplier and in the process of switching our electricity. I was wondering about switching gas supplier too or if we actually needed one, or if I could just cancel the one we have and get our money back from them. I'll certainly look into the zero standing charge option, as at some point we may put in a gas fire, and maybe a cooker point when we eventually do up the kitchen too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin