Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 4Thanks
    mscroft
    Viagogo madness tickets
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:31 AM
    Viagogo madness tickets 8th Mar 18 at 8:31 AM
    So, 2 weeks or so ago I purchased 2 tickets for the madness concert at Alnwick Castle, Northumberland. An anniversary gift for my husband. Tried to get them thru ticket master but the site kept crashing so thru a google search ended up on the viagogo site. I wanted the best seats knowing my husband couldn’t stand. The venue was all seats but went for the most expensive, front seats boasting comfort and unrestricted views etc. My email confirmation confirmed I had paid £220 for 2 tickets, which I wasn’t expecting and there was no breakdown of the costs.
    If that wasn’t bad enough I got an email from viagogo the very next day saying the venue had changed to standing room only, it had nothing to do with them and I should take up my dispute with venue. I’ve just read on another thread, someone else has purchased madness tickets for a different venue and that has also changed to a standing only event! Is this the norm?

Do I have a case? Is it even worth me chasing this? And to add insult to injury, viagogo was all over the news yesterday as it seems most of the tickets they sell either never arrive or are fakes and people are being turned away from concerts en-mass.
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 8th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 3,383 Posts
    • 4,497 Thanks
    waamo
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:42 AM
    If you get turned away there is a possibility of getting your money back. Posters on here have reported being refunded most of their money in similar circumstances.

As for any other situation you are banging your head against a brick wall. You have bought tickets from a ticket tout in essence. If they won't refund you there is little you can do as they are not a UK company and have no physical presence in the UK.
    This space for hire.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 7,336 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    For what its worth, it says in the Madness FAQs for Alnwick Castle

Is the event outdoors?

Yes and it is fully standing however you
    are permitted to bring 1 x foldable chair
    per person should you wish to sit in a
    mixed seating and standing area.
    Does dim arian 'da fi, ond breuddwydion 'da fi.

Gwlad yr Ia & Columbia (no Welsh word for Columbia)
    • mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    When I booked the tickets, it was stated as an all seating venue on the viagogo site and on the Alnwick castle website. I went for the section right in front of the stage, A2 as it stated comfortable seats, unrestricted views etc. I chose the row, X and seats 32 and 33.

Im over the fact Ive been overcharged and the face value of the ticket might be £10 each for all I know, if the seat existed and we had a great night, the cost is irrelevant to me. But not only is this now a space to stand, which is no good at all to me, we are faced with the possibility of not receiving the tickets at all or being turned away on the night and not even getting in.

Will this make a difference to my case?
    Last edited by mscroft; 08-03-2018 at 9:22 AM. Reason: Wrong word
    • easy
    • By easy 8th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    easy
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:24 AM
    I don't know much about this, but assuming you have paid with a credit card, the credit ca\rd company might be the ones to contact about this.
    I'm sure someone else will be along later who knows about this aspect
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    Ive just managed to find a screen shot in my pics of the booking which guarantees we will be SEATED together. I dont know if I can upload this to here, will try........Its asking me for urls???? Not even sure what that is.

It also appears I paid £78 per ticket, the rest was fees.
    Last edited by mscroft; 08-03-2018 at 9:36 AM. Reason: It keeps inserting strange words that I!!!8217;m not typing.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 31,901 Posts
    • 20,086 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    Ive just managed to find a screen shot in my pics of the booking which guarantees we will be SEATED together. I dont know if I can upload this to here, will try........Its asking me for urls???? Not even sure what that is.

It also appears I paid £78 per ticket, the rest was fees.
    Originally posted by mscroft
    Yes them strange symbols you aren't is a forum issue and it affects those using apple devices to post.

Use a picture hosting site like imgbb or tinypic and then copy the link it gives you.

How did you pay ?

A similar thread here
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5795783

Oh looks like you already seen it.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 08-03-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Fees are very high on Viagogo. I'd go to your CC provider because what you have received is significantly different to what you ordered.
    • mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:09 AM

Hoping I have done this right, the image should be here
    • mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft
    At the time of booking, it included seat numbers tho I notice they don!!!8217;t appear on this and the confirmation email had even less detail than the above.

Yes, I paid on credit card. Always do tho not sure it will help me on this occasion.

Please excuse any random numbers that keep appearing in my posts. I!!!8217;ve no idea why it!!!8217;s doing that
    Last edited by mscroft; 08-03-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Random numbers
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 7,336 Thanks
    Oakdene
    I wonder if the 'Row X' means 'Row N/A' if that makes sense?

If it was me buying tickets for a Madness event at a stately home/castle I wouldn't think there would be seating.

• mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 11:23 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft
    On the night of booking, I checked the layout of the seats and deliberately went for row x as it was at the back of that section and chose seats on the end so if my husband had to get up to move around, we wouldn!!!8217;t be interrupting other people.
    If the venue was standing room only I never would have booked it as my husband can!!!8217;t stand for very long without being very uncomfortable. I just wish I had screen shot the seat layout on the Alnwick castle website as it!!!8217;s now changed and looks very different.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 7,336 Thanks
    Oakdene
    On the night of booking, I checked the layout of the seats and deliberately went for row x as it was at the back of that section and chose seats on the end so if my husband had to get up to move around, we wouldn!!!8217;t be interrupting other people.
    If the venue was standing room only I never would have booked it as my husband can!!!8217;t stand for very long without being very uncomfortable. I just wish I had screen shot the seat layout on the Alnwick castle website as it!!!8217;s now changed and looks very different.
    But in your original post you have stated...

I wanted the best seats knowing my husband couldn’t stand. The venue was all seats but went for the most expensive, front seats boasting comfort and unrestricted views etc.

• mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 11:38 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft
    Sorry, I meant the front section. I was up against a countdown clock and when I was choosing the seat numbers I went for the back rows of the front section, and as close to the end of the row as was available. There was quite a few available but I kept getting pop ups flashing up saying most popular area, selling fast and by the end it stated last few remaining Im stupid, I dont usually fall for that rubbish but didnt even realise I was on a dodgy website till I saw it all over the news yesterday.
    Last edited by mscroft; 08-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    • mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft

This was the seating plan
    Last edited by mscroft; 08-03-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 4,387 Posts
    • 4,414 Thanks
    DoaM
    Can you remove those images and just post the links please?

I have a reasonably high resolution monitor (1600 x 1200) yet those images still break the forum for me meaning I have to scroll left-right to read all the text in any post.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 12:48 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft
    Oh dear, I don!!!8217;t know how to do that. Someone told me how to post them and I just did as they said. If you can tell me what to do, I will try to do it. Sorry.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Images are fine for me.

You were told it was an all seated event (as are many concerts at stately homes), it is not. The service purchased is significantly not as described.

Have you contacted your card provider yet?
    • mscroft
    • By mscroft 8th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mscroft
    Thank you for the response.

No, Ive not contacted anyone officially as yet. Im doing some research and have read that people in my situation, and similar have contacted the venue for clarification but when they have gone back to viagogo for a refund, they have been told they have invalidated the tickets by making that contact. I just dont know what to do for the best. I purchased the tickets, paid way over the odds for them by using a dodgy website. I didnt know that at the time but accept it was my fault. But the tickets I purchased were for seats and the screen shot with the costs on clearly states we will be seated together. Someone else on here has now suggested that the concert was never a seated event and was always standing room only. If that were the case, I wouldnt be here now as Id never book to stand. I just dont know what to do, other than admit to being a moron and walk away!
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 8th Mar 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    This article confirms it was originally all seated.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/madness-alnwick-castle-ticket-types-14226586

Who has said it never a seated event?

The price of the tickets is irrelevant. Stop getting sidetracked on irrelevant stuff and contact your bank. Be clear in what your issue is, the failure to provide seating.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,290Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter