Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Mar 18, 4:35 AM
    • 1,452Posts
    • 15,473Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Thursday 8th March 2018
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:35 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 8th March 2018 8th Mar 18 at 4:35 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 8th Mar 18, 6:21 AM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 27,987 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:21 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:21 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY for kicking off. Bah we have had more snow in the night!! It's only a light covering at the moment but they say more is to come throughout the day. Eldest DGD (13) is going to London today for a few days on a school trip and if snow puts paid to that she will be mortified!

We had a lovely night of gossiping, eating and drinking (too much) wine last night. We could have sat there all night talking but they threw us out! Head feels a bit wuzzy but I'll live!

The DGDs will be to waken up shortly and get fed and watered ready for school. They (minus the eldest) are back again tonight after their swimming clubs. Of course it will be the customary Thursday Bolognese Bake and I forgot to get the mince out to defrost last night. Must remember to do that quick smart.

Not a lot planned in the way of jobs for today I feel a CBA day coming on. Just time for another quick coffee now I think.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for all in need/want of them. GERS I hope your mum has a lovely birthday weekend. Lots of things in store for her by the sound of it. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • tru
    • By tru 8th Mar 18, 6:50 AM
    • 8,657 Posts
    • 44,756 Thanks
    tru
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:50 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:50 AM
    Morning

dumpling They're making Die Hard 6 soon!
    Miss tru loved Die Hard, agreed with me that it's a Christmas film and can't wait til next week to see the next one

whiteguineapig Oh dear, I really have given the wrong impression of myself online You're the first person, ever, to call me sweet or gentle I do spend more time chatting to animals than I do humans, and I crochet a lot. But my reading and telly viewing involves guns, bombs, monsters, aliens and lots of violence. And I'm very vocal if I see someone being treated unfairly, which usually ends with me being painted as the nasty person, rather than the person who's being a bully in the first place

I crocheted a bag a while ago, was really pleased with it until I realised I was going to struggle with the handles. Wherever I put them, they were either going to ruin the look of it or pull on some stitches and stretch them out of shape. I found a way to do it and am really pleased with the end result. I don't know why I was being so fussy, it's not going to be used outside of the house, it's to store carrier bags from my shopping deliveries til I give them back to the driver next time he delivers

I have some work this morning then I'm going to whizz through the housework. I want to be finished by lunchtime, not sure why because I have nothing solid planned for this afternoon, lol. Scampi really doesn't want to shift from the sofa for a morning walk lately, I'll try him after lunch today.

Bulletproof
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 6,494 Posts
    • 41,322 Thanks
    Gers
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Lovely to see light in the early morning again.

Just a quick pit stop from me before I get off to Glasgow. I hear there’s snow in lots of places, hope it doesn’t cause too much chaos.

Happy Thursday to all.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 8th Mar 18, 6:55 AM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 42,589 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:55 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:55 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, laying water everywhere as been raining since some time during the night, and still going, looks set in for the day.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was chicken in sauce, mash, and veg, then apple strudel and custard for dessert. Tonight I'm not sure but will organise something during today. I'm trying to use up some of the contents of the freezers as there's lots of odd bits and bobs in both freezers and the store cupboard. I'm thinking I may go down the route of a mixed grill as I have a packet of sausages, 2 x gammon steaks (both in the freezer) and I can buy some liver quite cheaply, then do chips/wedges, peas and gravy with it.

I'm going to head into town first thing to visit the bank and building society, then go to mum's and sit with her so dad can go and do some jobs. Alongside this I'll be trying to get the washing, drying and ironing done, housework of some description and change beds etc - so will just do the best I can.

Work was rather manic again yesterday - but better than Monday and Tuesday - just. Now on days' off until Monday.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 08-03-2018 at 6:58 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 8th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 19,645 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:05 AM
    Morning everyone, a quick post as I need to get a wiggle on.

I slept much better and am hoping for a a better day. Yesterday was fine in that I managed work ok, was effective, made a difference blah blah but I was very tired by the end of the day.

House still a mess, DS said yesterday that he'll sort his stuff out, I do hope so because he couldn't remember what was clean and what was dirty so stuck all his clothes in together. Thus everything will need to be washed and getting it dry in this damp weather is going to be a pest. Yesterday was gorgeous but today is cool and soggy, not looked at the weather report yet.

Holly, you are doing really well.

Hope today goes well for everybody
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • redruby
    • By redruby 8th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 6,693 Posts
    • 93,314 Thanks
    redruby
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    Morning all

Thank you so much for all the birthday wishes yesterday I had such a lovely day and got completely spoilt, mt lovely dd has bought me a trip to London next weekend where we will stay at the waldorf hotel and afternoon tea at another place where each cake it matched with a tiny cocktail it will be a lovely couple of days and I will treat us to dinner if we can manage it or some cocktails, I am very much looking forward to it

Back to reality today though and back to work although I only have two days to work which is not too bad, Thursdays group are very loud and needy though so always wear us out.

Something and chips tonight will go and look after this, the house it not too bad but could not do any housework yesterday in fear of breaking the law so will have a quick tidy tonight.

Have good days all and thank you again xx
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 8th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 3,699 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:15 AM
    Morning all. It's fine, dry and frosty here, and yesterday was a beautiful day, it lifted the spirits after all that snow and grey clouds. Thank you Holly, for starting off.

DH went to the docs again yesterday, and he has now got a chest infection, so was given antibiotics. he should now start to pick up a bit, the coughing was wearing him out.

We took Dgd for her swimming lesson, then came straight home.

Yesterday we were informed that our caravan storage place is closing later in the year, so we were out yesterday afternoon looking at a couple of other places. One of them is a bit too far away, but we have another one to look at this morning. Though it might be a question of taking what we can get, but it must meet certain criteria, both for our peace of mind, and the insurance.

You seemed to have had a good night TA, good to meet up with friends isn't it.
    Gers, hope your cold won't turn out to be too bad, and your Mum enjoys her birthday
    Speky, get into a pension scheme as soon as you can. You don't miss the money when it's taken from source, and the way things are going with pensions you'll need it in the future.

Take care folks, and have a good day
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 8th Mar 18, 7:16 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 19,831 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:16 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:16 AM
    Good morning everyone

I actually slept through Steve leaving for work so that feels weird. Bobby woke me by whining outside the bedroom door and he was overjoyed to see me. It's so lovely to see his little face in the morning with his whole body wiggling because he is wagging so hard .

I had a very difficult conversation with Steve last night about how I wasn't really coping at home with Becky and the girls and he is going to think about leaving work and staying home to help. It is a massive decision and we need to talk a lot more about it. I had to ask my lovely cmht lady to come and see me as an emergency yesterday and she is going to help me with any forms that need doing. There are lots of pros and cons to this so we need to really think hard about it or if there are any other solutions. My anxiety is through the roof with it all though so something needs to change. Steve was so very lovely and is going to talk to HR this morning to see about getting some time off in the short term.

Well, I am going to have a look for some breakfast and then have a shower and get dressed. I still need to get birthday cards for Phoebe and Jemima so I will hopefully get to town later.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 8th Mar 18, 7:31 AM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 19,645 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Dumpling I don't know if this would help but my employer would consider a reduction in hours, temporary or permanent in these circumstances.

As we see, I have not got on with things, I'm still eating my toast.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 8th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Dry and chilly here but the sun is in the sky
    Dolly has been walked and met up with her favourite running round in circles chum
    I am just having a cuppa and then i am off to the hairdressers . DD1 is coming over later as we are off to Lakeside for some clothes as she has lost 2 stone and so needs new bits . DS is still driving me mad and doesn't seem to be looking for work he is waiting on some paperwork from the tax office to prove his last five years employment as he has been promised a job if he can produce this.
    Dumpling I hope Steve can get a happy medium with work
    Csarina I hope your DD is on the mend
    No cooking for me today as will eat out
    Have a great day whatever you are up to x
    • Elona
    • By Elona 8th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    Elona
    dumpling

I am sorry you are having the anxiety problems and very impressed by how much support and help you provide for everyone I hope things get better soon.

After warning everyone I could think of about possible snow on the 17th I woke up this morning to find it had snowed through the night and was still snowing now!!! Glad I have a small grocery delivery coming this morning and already have food in the fridge etc.

Dishwasher is on and decided to have a low fat brunch later this morning and then tidy the kitchen as I don't think the cleaner will be able to make it this week. Really pleased I have manged to lose six pounds in two weeks even with birthday meals for a dd.

I have been going nuts buying baby clothes for dd and sil and taking advantage of the sales online to get some really nice stuff sometimes at a 70% discount and usually 50%. I have managed to get things in newborn, 0 to 3 months and also 3-6 months bearing in mind the seasons so very chuffed

RedRuby

The London trip sounds lovely and I hope you have a great time

Hugs to all
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Mar 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,145 Posts
    • 26,453 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start Holly, hope you get that steamed pudding

Dry and bright with some sunshine today, lovely. Off to the shops soon, we raided the stores a tad last week being snowed in and have a few bits to replace, other than that not a lot planned. Will obviously get over to see Lu later so maybe a little jaunt out on her.
    I am supposed to be meeting up with my DB for a sibling meal tonight, it was cancelled due to bad weather last week so hopefully it can go ahead, I made a big batch of chilli last night so DOH won’t starve either.

RedRuby your birthday weekend sounds fab.
    Do hope that you can get something sorted Dumpling.

Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 8th Mar 18, 8:43 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 15,757 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Firstly, thank you for your advice regarding pensions yesterday. An overwhelming and resounding YES! I'll action it next month

Football yesterday evening was cancelled due to a frozen pitch, which left me some time to make some low carb cookies. Not the nicest, but they were never going to be given that they're 'healthy'.

Tonight is date night with my gran. Not sure what she has on the menu, and despite me saying I'm eating healthy, I bet she makes some sort of dessert. We'll sit in front of the TV for a bit and have a natter.

HH - That dessert sounds absolutely lovely. Right up my street!
    Gers - The snow is quickly disappearing. Hope you get in ok.
    RR - Belated birthday wishes! Glad you had a good day and the London trip sounds brill.
    Dumpling - Starting the conversation is usually the hardest part, so well done. Plus Steve reacted well, this too should help you feel reassured.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 8th Mar 18, 8:49 AM
    • 2,072 Posts
    • 20,559 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one, especially Dumpling.

Just a quickie, I am off to Aldi in a mo and to put scripts in to the Dr.

No snow here but the sky is very dark and overcast. I want to get to Aldi and back before the weather changes.

OH was hoping to get up the garden to move stuff down to go to the tip on Sunday, but its wet, so he is not going out.

Broc and Cauli gratin for supper with baked toms and a couple of jacket spuds.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 41,333 Thanks
    Floss
    TiredMum2 can your DS get the info if he logs onto the HMRC website & accesses his personal tax account?

Dumpling would your lovely Steve be able to reduce his hours to help you all and still keep his job?
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 8th Mar 18, 9:33 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    poppy811
    Dumpling, sorry to hear how difficult things are for you and hope there may extra support for you very soon.
    The news from New Zealand is very sad, there is no further treatment so palliative care is being organised, Because DIL is on maternity leave she is going out there for as long as possible and is taking both the children with her. My son will go out just for a couple of weeks to help DIL with the flights. It is 3 planes and includes a 5 hour stopover in Dubai. I will lend them the money as the cost is horrendous. Poor girl is so upset and just needs to be there asap. Ds is not looking forward to being on his own as they are a very close little family.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Mar 18, 9:41 AM
    • 15,984 Posts
    • 135,654 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums and a bit of a damp start to the day but hopefully it will dry up a bit.

Had a lovely afternoon out with Margaret, and the 'Finding your Feet' film was really good, and we both enjoyed it. Went to W 'spoons for a bite to eat afterwards and had a very nice ham,egg and chips, and then back to her house for more tea and nattering She is coping OK but finds the evenings a bit hard I think.

General pottering day today with something from the freezer for dinner tonight probably some chicken with veg.

Tomorrow I have History club in the afternoon, then a big charity night quiz (Kent Messenger ) with my team in the evening at a local hotel with food and refreshments laid on. We went last year, and had a great time, and came home wth a few left over goodies as well.

Hope you all have a good day and its so nice that the days are getting longer at last and soon the clocks will change.

Take care all and keep warm and dry if you can

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 8th Mar 18, 9:46 AM
    • 12,455 Posts
    • 40,172 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

Woke up to snow this morning but not sticking as the floor is too wet. have to shut the conservatory up again its too cold to sit in there. Wish the weather would make its mind up. Not quite as much work to do today so will have a downstairs blitz.

Grabbed a mozzerella stuffed chicken breast out of the freezer so will have that with some veg later. Im cutting down on sugar at the moment after finding my skinny jeans are not quite so skinny any more Think an increase in biscuit picking is to blame so have knocked that on the head. Not a scales person so will use the jeans as a guide to success or not

HH im now well jel of your sponge pudding ....have some for me will you
    nanny dont forget the poor girl is coming round for thursday dinner later
    redruby your weekend sounds wonderful...don't forget to bring back some Waldorf toiletries for your bathroom

brunch will be boiled egg and toast put off as long as possible to stave off the sugar temptation

Have a good day all and hope the snow boogers off for everyone soon
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3,696 Posts
    • 46,342 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Holly and hugs to all those in need.

CHS has been dropped at work, dgs dropped at school, I've had breakfast and hung up some washing. I've found someone to take over boat cleaning, I'm too busy helping my DD's to fit it in.

I'm taking my car to my ds today, I think the wheel bearings are going, damn!

DD1 is taking me for lunch tomorrow, DD2 is taking me for afternoon tea at a later date, both my Ds's are taking me and CHS for lunch on Sunday.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

162Posts Today

1,702Users online

Martin's Twitter