Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Major_Disaster
    • By Major_Disaster 7th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Major_Disaster
    Any experience of Sainsbury's Mortgages?
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:20 PM
    Any experience of Sainsbury's Mortgages? 7th Mar 18 at 11:20 PM
    Hi all,

Trying to sort out a new fix for our mortgage, which is coming to an end in July. Sounds like rates are most likely going to be hiked in May, so looking to lock in a fix before then - so we're a bit limited to places whose offer validity is 6 months (standard seems to be 3).

Currently with First Direct and really happy with the customer service and we can book the rate now - so the simple answer would be to remortgage with them. Phoned up L&C to see if there are any other options and they came back with Sainsbury's. Looking at the numbers they're a reasonable amount cheaper, but I'm a little hesitant as their customer service is a little of an unknown to me.

All Google searches lead to very poor reviews of their personal loans, but I can't find much specific to mortgages - they've only reentered the market in the past year.

So, any experience / advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 8th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 16,849 Posts
    • 8,791 Thanks
    ACG
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    I noticed quite a few rate rises around 2-3 weeks ago.

I would be interested in hearing feedback in Sainsburys mortgages, we do not have access to them yet but I am sure at some point we will.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    • 32,052 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    A quick look some rate/fees are better with FD
    Depends on LTV,fix term, mortgage size.

FD has better penalty free overpayment terms.
    • Major_Disaster
    • By Major_Disaster 8th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Major_Disaster
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    For our LTV on a 2 year fix FD are definitely more expensive (higher rate, lower fees) but does have unlimited over payment and known (first hand) good customer service. Again for us, Sainsbury's has a lower rate, higher fee (which you can add to the balance unlike with FD) and only 10% over payment allowance. It's just the customer service which is the big unknown and is stopping me taking the plunge...
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 32,052 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:27 AM
    Don't forget the costs to change in the calculations.
    • Major_Disaster
    • By Major_Disaster 8th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Major_Disaster
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:13 AM
    Yes, with the help of the MSE Mortgage calculator I'm pretty confident Sainbury's is just over 600 cheaper over 2 years. Its just the customer service aspect I'd like some help with. Anyone have any experience with them?
    • Amst
    • By Amst 11th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Amst
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:01 PM
    What customer service do you need from a mortgage provider? As long as you pay each month they can be excellent or awful and you'll never know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,101Posts Today

6,615Users online

Martin's Twitter