Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mmrr
    • By mmrr 7th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mmrr
    Vw emissions
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:41 PM
    Vw emissions 7th Mar 18 at 10:41 PM
    I joined the VW emissions group without doing enough research and reading the terms and conditions.
    I have since found out that my vehicle wasn't affected even though it was in the year bracket.
    I did join in good faith but now wish to leave the group but have been told that there could be a charge.
    Has anyone else had this experience or can you offer any advice?.
    Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 8th Mar 18, 6:44 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:44 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:44 AM
    I joined the VW emissions group without doing enough research and reading the terms and conditions.
    Originally posted by mmrr
    What's the VW Emissions Group? Google isn't offering any real answer.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 8th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 4,210 Thanks
    waamo
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:33 AM
    Originally posted by Deastons
    This explains it https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/commercial-and-group-litigation/product-liability-group-litigation/volkswagen-scandal-legal-investigation/
    This space for hire.
    • benten69
    • By benten69 8th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    benten69
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    Originally posted by Deastons
    It's this.... http://www.vwemissionsaction.com/

Basically a class action law suit by Slater & Gordon law firm against VW / Audi UK to get compensation for people who were sold cars affected by the emissions scandal.

The legal fees are all paid for by an anonymous 3rd party. If they win, then the 3rd party gets a chunk of the winnings and the rest is split amongst those who had cars mis-sold. If they lose then the 3rd party foots the full legal bill and those who had cars mis-sold walk away with no loss or gain.

At least that is how it is described. Been meaning to look more into it and possibly sign up myself as our car was affected and was purchased in England, even though we live in Scotland...oh and that's another thing, the car had to have been purchased in England or Wales for you to join.
    Emergency Fund - 100% Complete | Motorcycle Fund - 2.2% Complete
    New Kit Fund - 0% Complete | Touring Fund - 0% Complete
    Mortgage Sept '15: -161,250 | Mar '18: -151,288.12

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    • 17,362 Posts
    • 15,701 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    The legal fees are all paid for by an anonymous 3rd party. If they win, then the 3rd party gets a chunk of the winnings and the rest is split amongst those who had cars mis-sold. If they lose then the 3rd party foots the full legal bill and those who had cars mis-sold walk away with no loss or gain.
    Originally posted by benten69
    Just a simple Conditional Fee Arrangement, with some re-insurance/underwriting behind it.

At least that is how it is described. Been meaning to look more into it and possibly sign up myself as our car was affected and was purchased in England, even though we live in Scotland...oh and that's another thing, the car had to have been purchased in England or Wales for you to join.
    <shrug> Separate legal environment and jurisdiction, so no great surprise there. Contract is with the retailer, of course, so an English/Welsh purchase falls under E+W law, while a Scottish purchase falls under Scottish law.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4Posts Today

4,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin