Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DoshDabbler
    • By DoshDabbler 7th Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DoshDabbler
    Possible gift to a benefit recipient
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    Possible gift to a benefit recipient 7th Mar 18 at 10:29 PM
    Has anybody here got experience of receiving a monetary gift, while on means-tested benefits?

I understand that the "capital limit" of 16,000 means that the recipient immediately loses their benefits, and that he must live on the capital for a few years. He can however re-apply for benefit as soon as his capital falls below 16,000.

I was wondering if the freedom from the restrictions was in any way beneficial, for example by making it easier to get a job, find somewhere else to live, or just making life better?

Alternatively, were there problems. For example, did the rules about not deliberately depriving oneself of capital make the process of re-applying difficult?
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    • 17,228 Posts
    • 30,332 Thanks
    Ames
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:57 PM
    Having money in the bank makes things easier in the same way it does for everyone else.

Spending will be scrutinised when reapplying. The claimant could be deemed to still have the money if it's decided they spent it in order to claim benefits.

Longer term if coming off 'old' benefits means that the new claim has to be for universal credit they could be a lot worse off over time as UC tends to be less than old benefits.

All the above only applies to means tested benefits, for contribution based benefits or DLA/PIP/AA or tax credits savings don't count anyway.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 8th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 19,319 Posts
    • 86,817 Thanks
    pipkin71
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    When I was in receipt of ESA, there was never any issue over the monetary gifts I received, as they were gifts. The only interest the DSS had was when I went over the limit of 6.000 but benefits were then reduced accordingly.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Afraid of Kittens
    • By Afraid of Kittens 8th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Afraid of Kittens
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:59 PM
    A cash gift is disregarded as income. If it is left in a bank account then it automatically gets treated as capital - no disregard.
    • DoshDabbler
    • By DoshDabbler 9th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DoshDabbler
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    Lots to think about - thanks everybody.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,083Posts Today

5,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin