Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • magicman62
    • By magicman62 7th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    magicman62
    do I have a case
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    do I have a case 7th Mar 18 at 9:35 PM
    Just recently at work relations have become very stressed between myself and management I have been given extra duties and responsibilities.When things dont go 100% right or people dont agree with my course of action I am reported immiediately to the office director, who will chastice and question me by shouting across the office rather than in a office, at times i get pulled up even before i realise there is a problem or still in the process of adressing it ..this happened recently which caused me to retaliate verbally as another person in the office started to laugh sometimes I may be doing several tasks at once ..last week another member of staff failed to do his job ..I was thererfore requested to do it, it entailed going outside in sub zero temperatures and a blizzard to do some work on a vehicle ..I am not a mechanic but comments suggested that i would have to be ...At that time I was working with a suspected chest infection, now confirmed and felt quite ill ..I refused quoting I was busy doing other duties ( I was concerned about my health as i was not dressed for that weather) minutes later a heard the office boss shout out some extreme expletives which included the and i later realised obviously directed about myself as I was out of sight in a store cupboard he did not realise i could hear ..further developments over the weekend proves that he was referring to me ...I am now off work chest infection which the weather has not helped and I am getting E mails from work about my tasks and also requests , my work mobile also rings i have no qualms about answering it and doing any of my duties if possible ..however tonight i get an E Mail from the person who asked me to carry out a task not to repond to e mails whilst off sick ..he knew i was off sick so why ask me to chase a problem it seams to me that i am now being victmised both at work and at home . do i have a case ..i dont want to lose my Job as my age i would not get another one ..i cant talk to the boss /bosses as I feel they are all working together and i have never been asked my side off thing or been listened to , they just seem to find a way round things like saying because I am the fleet maintanance co-ordinator i am therefore responsible for repairing vehicles in some capacity .. so where do i go what do i do or am I just being paranoid ..I am scared that one day things will get out of hand should and should i really lose my temper and subsequently my job , or is that they want ...I am now having nightmares about work and dreading returning next week
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 16,789 Posts
    • 17,798 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    Could you bullet point your post with just the key issues so that others may find it easier to read?
    • magicman62
    • By magicman62 7th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    magicman62
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    I am not sure what you mean but I I feel persecuted, taken advantage off. victimised, bullied as it appears that 2 people are in cahoots ' my integrity has been attacked , I have been verbally abused both directly and indirectly , my health and well being has been ignored both physically and mentally even my family have been abused in messages .... I am scared to retaliate as I have a message saying if I don't like it get another job
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 8th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:27 AM
    It's a horrible situation, sometimes looking for another job is the best option, the situation doesn't sound recoverable.

You could document everything and talk to HR, but in reality - time to move on.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    I am not sure what you mean but I I feel persecuted, taken advantage off. victimised, bullied as it appears that 2 people are in cahoots ' my integrity has been attacked , I have been verbally abused both directly and indirectly , my health and well being has been ignored both physically and mentally even my family have been abused in messages .... I am scared to retaliate as I have a message saying if I don't like it get another job
    Originally posted by magicman62
    I'm afraid that seems like the most sensible option to me. I would put my energies into moving on to better things. It's amazing how much easier things can get to cope with when you've decided you're off.

I'm frequently surprised that people stick with situations that make them really unhappy. I wonder if some have a really miserable time at school and then think that's just how things are. Then again, it's easy for me. I'm a born quitter!
    Last edited by shortcrust; 08-03-2018 at 8:51 AM. Reason: apostrophe hell
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 8th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 5,792 Posts
    • 6,680 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    Bullet point means
    • putting
    • things
    • in
    • order
    • this
    but as others have said....it really is time to move on, find another job whilst you are in a job.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    • 38,480 Posts
    • 35,149 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    I am now off work chest infection which the weather has not helped and I am getting E mails from work about my tasks and also requests ,

my work mobile also rings i have no qualms about answering it and doing any of my duties if possible ..

however tonight i get an E Mail from the person who asked me to carry out a task not to repond to e mails whilst off sick ..he knew i was off sick so why ask me to chase a problem

it seams to me that i am now being victmised both at work and at home .
    A few simple paragraphs would help ...

Specifically responding to these points.

If you are off sick, you are off sick, so your work mobile should be switched off. If you're not back at work tomorrow, you could phone your manager and ask if he wishes to send someone to collect it as you will not be answering it while you are off sick.

And if you are off sick, you are off sick, so you should not be answering work emails. But that does not mean people should not email you, even if they know you are off sick. I often send emails to people when I know they are not in the office, I don't expect them to deal with them until they're back, but equally I have no reason to let the emails I need to send pile up.

The exception to that is if you see your GP and get a Fit Note which says that you MAY be fit for work with the following adjustments ... and those adjustments are that you may be able to respond to emails and phone calls while you are away from the office.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • magicman62
    • By magicman62 8th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    magicman62
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    firstly the phone was turnrd on as i got messages on my PERSONAL phone
    ...secondly the 'boss' sent me e mail messages requesting info#
    . 3rdly i responded as after the rest of the rubbbish which had gone earlier i was worried i would once again be persecuted ..it is common practise to try and help out if physically possible with in the company , I know others who do it ..
    .and finally it was the a internal supervisor who e mailed me requiring something which included several messges between us who then at the end of the day told me a should not be doing it ...and as he was off ill a few days before he was available by phone ...
    .I cannot afford to lose my job as at my age it could be impossible to find another ...it looks to me that I am dambed if I do and dambed if i dont ...however since that last mesage i did turn of my phone i will see what the reprocussions are when i go back on monday
    one other ting I am off work on the advise ofthe doctor and have only self certificated

Thanks for the advise though
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 9th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    • 9th Mar 18, 11:56 AM
    Do you have any formal grievance or review system at work?
    Have you ever tried to have a specific conversation with your supervisor about these issues, (perhaps ask to met with them to discuss) - flag aup the ways that things have been done (don't talk about being persecuted: try things like
    - "I've noticed that you will shout across the office at me if you disagree with something, can I ask that if you have comments about how I'm doing something that you speak to me in private, not in front of everyone?"
    - "I've noticed that you sometimes shout at me to fix a prioblem when I'm already doing so - could you speak to me directly first to check whether I know about the issue and what I am doing to correct it")

also think about the situations where you get reported - are they all different, or is there a pattern of similar issues? Consider asking your manager about whether they can provide some updated training or guidance to avoid those sorts of issues.

If none of that works, then consider whether you want to raise a formal grievance. Since you specifically asked about whether you have a case, be aware that constructive dismissal is hard to prove, but normally it would be essential to show that you had tried to resolve the problems by using the employers internal procedures, before you left.

If you are thinking of unfair dismissal, if you currently have a situation where you have been reported multiple times then I suspect you would struggle to show that you had been dismissed unfairly, if they later decide to sack you.

I would suggest that you start actively looking for a new job. It's usually easier to find work when you are in employment and while age may may it more difficult there are still employers which value experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,985Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin