Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AndyRat
    • By AndyRat 7th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 15Thanks
    AndyRat
    QA Hospital Portsmouth - Disabled Parking Bays
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:33 PM
    QA Hospital Portsmouth - Disabled Parking Bays 7th Mar 18 at 9:33 PM
    My wife received a PCN from PCP Enforcement Agency on 28/02/17. Looking through various threads I think there could be two issues here that suggest to me that the PCN is most likely invalid.

1. PCP are contracted by Carillion Group, who no longer exist and therefore are unlikely to have a contract to enforce parking at the hospital grounds.
    2. The QA website - http://www.porthosp.nhs.uk/Find-us/car-parking-at-qa.htm states the following which seems to indicate that Portsmouth City Council are the enforcement agency.
    "Disabled parking
    There are about 100 disabled parking spaces at Queen Alexandra Hospital situated in the multi-storey car park near the Main Entrance as well as by the North Entrance, Emergency Department and East Entrance. All vehicles displaying a disabled sticker will only have to pay 1.80 per visit.

Portsmouth City Council is responsible for the issue of all blue badges in Portsmouth, which covers all postcodes between PO1 and PO6. If you live outside of this area, for example in Waterlooville, Fareham or Gosport, you will need to contact Hampshire County Council to apply for a Blue Badge.

The city council is also responsible for the issuing and enforcement of disabled parking bays."
    Has anyone any experience of a similar situation at QA?

Many thanks for any help
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 7,214 Posts
    • 6,717 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    I would suggest the sentence:
    The city council is also responsible for the issuing and enforcement of disabled parking bays.
    ...is wrong.

How does anyone 'issue a disabled parking bay'?

In my opinion, whoever wrote that simply made a mistake.
    • AndyRat
    • By AndyRat 7th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    AndyRat
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    I guess it could be a mistake, however it is there on the QA website and does IMO suggest that the council enforce the disabled bays and not PCP.........it may be poorly worded or in error, but how are we supposed to work out what it should mean?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 7,214 Posts
    • 6,717 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    Not sure how you can use it to your advantage though.
    • AndyRat
    • By AndyRat 7th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    AndyRat
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:04 PM
    Not sure how you can use it to your advantage though.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    I'm thinking that PCP may not be entitled to enforce the space therefore the PCN is invalid......
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 7,214 Posts
    • 6,717 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    Out of interest, the same sentence was there in March 2016.

So it is nothing to do with the demise of Carillion.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 7,214 Posts
    • 6,717 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:10 PM
    I'm thinking that PCP may not be entitled to enforce the space therefore the PCN is invalid......
    Originally posted by AndyRat
    I suppose that could be true because Carillion are no longer, but that is beyond me to answer.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 7th Mar 18, 11:33 PM
    • 8,494 Posts
    • 8,805 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:33 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:33 PM
    I guess it could be a mistake, however it is there on the QA website and does IMO suggest that the council enforce the disabled bays and not PCP.........it may be poorly worded or in error, but how are we supposed to work out what it should mean?
    There is currently no legal mechanism for council enforcement of bays on private land in England and Wales - Only Scotland has legislation to allow that, although its use in general parking is rare, the vast majority of spaces having been created in the private/residential context.

IMO, the inclusion of that section is an irrelevance but it doesn't affect things greatly because disabled bays and blue badges mean nothing on private property and PPCs don't care anyway. It just shows them-up for the mendacious sh!tes that they are.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Mar 18, 5:57 AM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 3,330 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:57 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:57 AM
    I am guessing that whoever put that webpage together just copied and pasted the section starting 'Portsmouth City...' directly from the council website without checking.

ETA

taken from Portsmouth city council website
    Portsmouth City Council is also responsible for issuing and enforcing disabled parking bays
    Same poorly worded sentence
    Last edited by unforeseen; 09-03-2018 at 5:54 AM.
    • AndyRat
    • By AndyRat 8th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    AndyRat
    There is currently no legal mechanism for council enforcement of bays on private land in England and Wales - Only Scotland has legislation to allow that, although its use in general parking is rare, the vast majority of spaces having been created in the private/residential context.

IMO, the inclusion of that section is an irrelevance but it doesn't affect things greatly because disabled bays and blue badges mean nothing on private property and PPCs don't care anyway. It just shows them-up for the mendacious sh!tes that they are.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Our local council enforces the disabled bays at a local shopping area although the area is private land, so maybe there is some mechanism for this to happen these days?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 8th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 57,473 Posts
    • 71,073 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Only in Scotland, I think. So, are you sure it's not a Council owned shopping area?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• KeithP
    • By KeithP 9th Mar 18, 6:29 PM
    • 7,214 Posts
    • 6,717 Thanks
    KeithP
    Our local council enforces the disabled bays at a local shopping area although the area is private land, so maybe there is some mechanism for this to happen these days?
    Which local shopping area is that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

424Posts Today

5,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin