Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Drakes01
    • By Drakes01 7th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Drakes01
    Tax man says I donít exist help please
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:10 PM
    Tax man says I donít exist help please 7th Mar 18 at 9:10 PM
    Bit over the top title I know,Iím writing this on behalf of my wife,we are in the process of claiming marriage tax allowance,and I rang the tax office to sort it out gave my NI number all was well gave my partners number they said itís not showing up and they can do it threw the background team and said not to worried so also asked for a uniform rebate which went ok for myself,I suggested to my wife a day later that she could apply for this uniform rebate so today rang the tax office to do so,no this is where the problem arises.
    She gave her Ni number that she has being using threw same employed for 20 years gets taxed normally 20% bracket pays to employer pension etc,they say they canít find her and the NI doesnít match her but also canít find her on the system, my wife now is in a panic as to what the repussions will be where is the tax in she is paying going,will this be sorted as simple clerical error? Is there anything we need to do,basically the tax people say she doesnít exist,she has bank accounts,loans credit cards,renewed her passport they asked for the NI on the forum is this now invalid, sheís in a right panic,Iím not helping saying sure we are not legally married!!!129325; as you donít exist.
    Anyway sorry if this is in the wrought form any help would be appreciated
    P.s I do have another account on here but canít seem to log in this is why this is my 1st post
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 7th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:24 PM
    Something she can (should) do tonight is look at her personal tax account on gov.uk as this not only shows details of her tax code and employer(s) but also has really good information about National Insurance contributions (going back a long time) and State Pension entitlement.

As far as Marriage Allowance is concerned who is applying for this? Bit confused by your post - if both of you are claiming for uniform cleaning allowance that suggests you are both paying tax so it isn't obvious who is applying for Marriage Allowance?
    • Drakes01
    • By Drakes01 7th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drakes01
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:40 PM
    Im allocating my allowance to her,as I earn under the threshold,we only found out about it so can have it backdate to 2015 I think,cant log into gov gateway as her details dont match the NI number on her payslip hence the tax office are saying they have no record of her,yet has being paying tax and NI contributions for 20 years to the number on her pay slip,we are both entitled to uniform rebate as both of us buy our work cloths
    Last edited by Drakes01; 07-03-2018 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Added text
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 7th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    You cant have it both ways!

You cannot get a tax refund if you haven't actually paid any tax.

You do know the uniform cleaning allowance is primarily for logo'd clothes.
    • Drakes01
    • By Drakes01 7th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drakes01
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:03 PM
    Sorry I don!!!8217;t quiet understand you saying having it both ways,the marriage allowance is for some one earning 11500 and under and the other person earning 45000 and under I!!!8217;m earning 11k so she is entitled to the marriage allowance, the uniform rebate is for other cloths as well as logoed,i chef for a living so can claim it,she wears logo for her job so can claim it,the main topic of this thread tho was the national insurance number issue and what can be done about it,as in 20 years paid to a number not linked to my wife where is the in contributions going and will this be sorted out easily she is in the same company for this period
    Last edited by Drakes01; 07-03-2018 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added text
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 7th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:15 PM
    If you (not your wife) haven't been paying tax for the past few years applying for Marriage Allowance seems to make sense but how can you get a tax refund when you haven't actually paid any tax?

But if you have been earning £11,000 for the past few years do you really want to apply for Marraige Allowance all the way back to 2015:16 as that would result in you getting a tax bill for about £212 for 2015:16 and another £220 for 2016:17.

Has your wife checked any P60's she's got and if so has her National Insurance number changed on any of them - maybe her employer made a mistake somewhere along the line?
    • Drakes01
    • By Drakes01 7th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drakes01
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    Year 2015-16 I earned 6k year 16-17 I earned 17k this year earned 6k so can claim for 15-16 not 16-17 and can claim for this tax year 17-18 its an allowance if one person earns under 11.500 and the other earns under 45k tax paid on earnings or not,same for the uniform I!!!8217;m only claiming for 16-17 she can claim as far back as allowed,as for the p60 they are all saying the same NI number.
    So for the last 20 years her tax and Ni has being paid to this number that!!!8217;s not connected to herself,is this money in a black hole account till it can be linked or is this number actually someone else and either they are unaware of this,or are happy for this to continue
    All I!!!8217;m asking is help about this can we please get away for rebates and allowances,you!!!8217;ve made your point on this.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Mar 18, 10:49 PM
    • 25,599 Posts
    • 15,130 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:49 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:49 PM
    Your wife can obtain a state pension forecast.

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

She can write to

National Insurance contributions and Employers Office
    HM Revenue and Customs
    BX9 1AN

and explain the problem.
    • Drakes01
    • By Drakes01 7th Mar 18, 11:06 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Drakes01
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:06 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:06 PM
    Thank you I!!!8217;ll pass this info on,on the check pension forecast will it not ask for a NI number,and as this is not linked to my wife there will be no information to be had?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 8th Mar 18, 12:34 AM
    • 25,599 Posts
    • 15,130 Thanks
    xylophone
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/645836/br19-interactive-application-for-a-state-pension-statement.pdf

She can complete, print off and post the above.

She inserts the NI number that she has and waits for the Pension Centre to raise any query?
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 8th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 6,255 Posts
    • 6,716 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/645836/br19-interactive-application-for-a-state-pension-statement.pdf

She can complete, print off and post the above.

She inserts the NI number that she has and waits for the Pension Centre to raise any query?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    or rather than going via the Pension Centre, she could contact HMRCs NI enquiries team directly

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-enquiries-for-employees-and-individuals
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin