Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pay_me
    • By Pay_me 7th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 153Posts
    • 109Thanks
    Pay_me
    0 WOW
    Tent
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    0 WOW
    Tent 7th Mar 18 at 8:14 PM
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a tent.

I am looking for a minimum 3 person though prefer 4
    Must be tall enough to stand in
    Separate sleeping area.
    Easy enough for one person to erect and take down

Budget up to 150

Thanks
Page 1
    • jrtfan
    • By jrtfan 7th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    jrtfan
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:13 PM
    I bought a Freedom Trail Sendero 4 tunnel tent from GoOutdoors early last year and we've used it once so far, for a (sunny and dry) weekend festival. GoOutdoors currently has this model on offer for 99.

It's nothing posh, entry level, but it definitely is spacious. There's bags of head room for standing up, an inner bedroom compartment that sleeps 3 adults easily/4 adults cozying up, plus a huge living/storage area with a couple of windows which could easily double as a second bedroom if wished. Sewn in ground sheet. 2 of us put it up for the very first time and it took us around 30 mins. Someone who is much better at erecting tents than we are, would probably do it in 20. Some online reviews are by people who say they put the tent up on their own, so it might well be possible to do this.

If you have a branch of GoOutdoors near where you live, I would recommend popping along there one day to check their tents out for yourself. The branch near us keeps all of the models they sell at the back of the store, already erected, so customers can wander around inside them and get a better idea of what it would be like to stay in any given tent.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/freedom-trail-sendero-4-tent-p396808
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 7th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    13Kent
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:19 PM
    Lots of reviews of tents on this site.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

• pogofish
    • By pogofish 8th Mar 18, 1:15 AM
    • 8,493 Posts
    • 8,803 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:15 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:15 AM

Personally, I'm not fond of tunnel tents - This was only a moderately windy morning last summer in the Western Isles - My little low to the ground frame tent stood the night without problems.

And yes, those lumps in the nearest tent are the occupants!
    Last edited by pogofish; 08-03-2018 at 1:26 AM.
    • Pay_me
    • By Pay_me 9th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Pay_me
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 7:18 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I visited Go Outdoors yesterday but they had no tent on display for under 189.99 and that one was too large (wouldn't fit in the car boot even if I did want it).

I have a few ideas for tents I like now so will keep an eye online and see what I can find.

Thanks
    • jrtfan
    • By jrtfan 9th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    jrtfan
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I visited Go Outdoors yesterday but they had no tent on display for under 189.99 and that one was too large (wouldn't fit in the car boot even if I did want it).

I have a few ideas for tents I like now so will keep an eye online and see what I can find.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Pay_me
    Good luck in your search! And, happy camping, once you're sorted
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 9th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 7,478 Posts
    • 5,957 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    You may find a tent for your budget, but it will be in the !!!8216;buy cheap, buy twice!!!8217; department.

A decent quality tent meeting your requirements will be 3-4 times your budget.

Search ebay, gumtree etc for a well looked after used one.
    • 13Kent
    • By 13Kent 10th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    13Kent
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    • 10th Mar 18, 9:36 AM
    We sold our tent on ebay, it had only been used for 10 nights, I decided that struggling to get up off a camp bed in the mornings wasn't for me and we upgraded to a touring caravan. Tent was in great condition, we put it up in the garden for the buyer to check, and they got a real bargain!

We bought it from here https://www.a2zcamping.co.uk/tents.html it was a factory second as it had the porch groundsheet missing, would recommend this company, good deal quick delivery and good aftersales service.

• YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 11th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    You may find a tent for your budget, but it will be in the !!!8216;buy cheap, buy twice!!!8217; department.

A decent quality tent meeting your requirements will be 3-4 times your budget.

Search ebay, gumtree etc for a well looked after used one.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    This isn't my experience. We also had a fairly cheap Freedom Trail tent for the first 3 years of family camping and it was perfectly water and windproof. We upgraded to a better tent which lasted us another 5 years but it certainly wasn't that expensive.

My advice would be to go and look at tents first, stand in them, see how they go together. If you are new to tents I wouldn't just buy online.
    • dondo
    • By dondo 12th Mar 18, 3:07 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    dondo
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a tent.

I am looking for a minimum 3 person though prefer 4
    Must be tall enough to stand in
    Separate sleeping area.
    Easy enough for one person to erect and take down

Budget up to 150

Thanks
    Originally posted by Pay_me
    Not sure if you have a Decathlon near you but they have good and reasonably priced tents

As someone else posted the uk campsite website is excellent as there are some real rubbish tents out there.

And as someone else says look at eBay too but try and stick to established names like Outwell (which we have and love), Vango & Coleman
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 12th Mar 18, 9:17 PM
    • 31,652 Posts
    • 19,963 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Is there not any other camping shops near you, may independent ones ?

Mountain warehouse sell tents too, not sure if stores are likely to have any setup like Decathlon would.

Try camping forums for which tents to look for.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Tyler Durden UK
    • By Tyler Durden UK 12th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tyler Durden UK
    A 3 or 4 person tent will really only be comfortable for 2 people with camping gear, table, etc.
    A tunnel style tent will give you room to stand up in, I'd check Facebook marketplace, I've just got a 6 person tent with porch, groundsheet and carpet for 140. Not new of course but the saving against new price is worthwhile.
    • Tyler Durden UK
    • By Tyler Durden UK 12th Mar 18, 9:56 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tyler Durden UK

Personally, I'm not fond of tunnel tents - This was only a moderately windy morning last summer in the Western Isles - My little low to the ground frame tent stood the night without problems.

And yes, those lumps in the nearest tent are the occupants!
    Originally posted by pogofish
    And to counter that, I had a tunnel tent survive what felt like near gale winds last year near Brean beach, certainly the strongest winds I've camped in.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Mar 18, 12:21 AM
    • 8,493 Posts
    • 8,803 Thanks
    pogofish
    West of Scotland, Western Isles, West of Ireland and the Cairngorm Mountains - I've camped in quite a few full-on gales over the years and only had one tent shredded by the weather so far. That was quite a night!
    • jrtfan
    • By jrtfan 13th Mar 18, 1:01 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    jrtfan
    I still have a Blacks Paklite 2 person tent I bought in 1980, and it was used for motorcycling holidays in Europe for at least 10 years. It would be no good for the OP's purposes, of course (much too low for a start!), but the tent is still in fantastic condition even now. I'm done with having to crawl in and out on hands and knees these days and will be passing the tent on to my son to use in a few years' time. Think I paid around 150 for it back then, so it was quite expensive for a tent of its size.

I think you often do get what you pay for when it comes to tents, but it depends on what you plan to use the tent for. Nowadays I just want a tent I can stand up in, to take to festivals in the summer. My tunnel tent is perfect for this.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Mar 18, 10:26 AM
    • 8,493 Posts
    • 8,803 Thanks
    pogofish
    Old Blacks tents were indeed excellent - I had one of similar vintage for a great many years. IT did me well through many bike trips.
    • Moogles44
    • By Moogles44 14th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Moogles44
    Canvas tents are great . Ebay has loads and good time to buy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,029Posts Today

7,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin