Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charityworker
    • By Charityworker 7th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    • 963Posts
    • 705Thanks
    Charityworker
    Reducing hours
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:33 PM
    Reducing hours 7th Mar 18 at 7:33 PM
    At the moment my husband works full time and i work part time. We dont get any benefits at all at the moment. But my husband is getting on a bit and his job is too tiring for him to work 40 hours a week. So my question is if he drops his hours to 20 a week and we apply for benefit will we be sanctioned because he dropped his hours? Ive put it all in 'entitled to' and it does say we will be entitled to help with the rent but it doesnt answer my question as to whether or not we could be sanctioned. Please be gentle with me. My husband feels ill achy and tired all the time.
Page 1
    • atolaas
    • By atolaas 7th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 5,322 Thanks
    atolaas
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:37 PM
    Has your husband been to his GP to rule out any medical causes for feeling run down? That would be my initial suggestion before looking at reducing his hours.
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
    • Charityworker
    • By Charityworker 7th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Charityworker
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:45 PM
    Yes theres nothing wrong with him. Hes just doing a very physicaljob for 40 hours a week and walking 5 miles a day inbetween each job.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 7th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    tboo
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:05 PM
    The LA won't santion you so by all means claim but if your area is covered by full UC then you may have to claim with them for rent.

Universal Credit

How old is he?
    If you don't work can you not take up the reduction as benefits won't cover the loss in income you have been used to receiving.

Sorry read it fast
    you work p/t - can you not increase your hrs?
    started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    I don't have a diary but I do aim to be mortgage free by the beginning of August 2018
    30/04/18 £3600 to go // 15/05/18 £2349.37 to go
    • atolaas
    • By atolaas 7th Mar 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 5,322 Thanks
    atolaas
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:06 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:06 PM
    I understand your concern. Unfortunately, I don't have a definite answer for you one way or the other...very sorry. You can get in touch with the Job Centre anonymously and ask a theoretical question.
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
    • Charityworker
    • By Charityworker 7th Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    Charityworker
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    The LA won't santion you so by all means claim but if your area is covered by full UC then you may have to claim with them for rent.

Universal Credit

How old is he?
    If you don't work can you not take up the reduction as benefits won't cover the loss in income you have been used to receiving.

Sorry read it fast
    you work p/t - can you not increase your hrs?
    Originally posted by tboo
    Yes our area is covered by full uc. Yes ill be looking into increasing my income. Im a self employed event organiser so I ll organise more events.

Hes 53.
    • tazwhoever
    • By tazwhoever 7th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    tazwhoever
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    Has your husband been to his GP to rule out any medical causes for feeling run down? That would be my initial suggestion before looking at reducing his hours.
    Originally posted by atolaas
    I agree with you. OP husband reducing his hours without any concerns may not be good as 35 hours I guess is normal without his partner working. I would suggest OP husband to visit GP to see if it's health issue. With that mind, it will be easier to reduce his hours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin