Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eamon
    • By eamon 7th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 1,606Posts
    • 1,133Thanks
    eamon
    Poss micro sd card issue in mobile phone?
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    Poss micro sd card issue in mobile phone? 7th Mar 18 at 7:26 PM
    Hello Folks
    I have a Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) with a 16GB micro sd card inserted. On the card I have images and some mp3 files. I can see the images and manipulate them ok. The mp3 files I can see and any imagery as well and everything looks fine but they won't play on the Google player or a 3rd party player. Interestingly when I treat the phone as a storage device I can see and play the mp3 files via my laptop.
    The handset can take upto 128GB MicroSD card. So I don't think that thats an issue. They will play via my laptop so I'm not convinced that the SD card is the issue either. But something is definitely amiss and I can't work it out. I've searched the net and the only solution that I found was to try a different brand of SD card but that seems a bit extreme as I don't have a spare and new ones start at 10 and I don't even know if that would solve the problem. I also read that the Samsung Galaxy supported formats may be an issue but surely not with mp3?
    So I'm open to ideas and suggestions

Thanks

Eamon

P.S I know its the inferior 2016 J3 model but VM deceived me and I can't get them to take ownership and check their phone records as I'm sure I ordered the much better 2017 J3 model. Plus point I haggled a good and cheaper deal than previous phone plan.
Page 1
    • H1a3rt
    • By H1a3rt 7th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    H1a3rt
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:36 PM
    It may be something about the file type your music app doesn't like. I would stick VLC app on the phone as a starting point, I find that plays just about anything.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 2,212 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:11 PM
    The handset can take upto 128GB MicroSD card. So I don't think that thats an issue. They will play via my laptop so I'm not convinced that the SD card is the issue either.
    Originally posted by eamon
    That would be easy to test by moving the files to the phone's internal storage and trying from there.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 11th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    eamon
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    • 11th Mar 18, 10:24 AM
    Well it appears that the MicroSD card has died. I was taking some snaps on Thursday and the phone camera crashed and this action also deleted the images on the card. Its no big deal and I should have transferred the images to my laptop. For those that are intersted it was/is a Sandisk product.
    • telemarks
    • By telemarks 11th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    telemarks
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 11th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    Insert the next mSD card carefully. Its just possible you have a bent pin on the connector in the phone.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 12th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 10:58 PM
    Hello Folks
    Interestingly when I treat the phone as a storage device I can see and play the mp3 files via my laptop.
    Originally posted by eamon
    That's a clue: I learned a long time ago to do that every time, with both my phone and tablet: insert card, setup and leave it in. Micro SD cards are fragile and pins only have to be slightly damaged.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter