Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 7th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,610Posts
    • 9,918Thanks
    Happygreen
    no more windows 7 updates?
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:04 PM
    no more windows 7 updates? 7th Mar 18 at 7:04 PM
    After not having had one for a while I thought I'd check in control panel and there's: X Windows Update Service not running - I tried all the options given on their support page, even downloading "the" fix. Nought. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?
    (I had tried windows 10 a good while ago but I REALLY hated it, as also my printer was no longer supported and I'm not one for scrapping perfectly good gadgets, so I asked the techie to put 7 back on) . Any advice appreciated.
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
Page 1
    • H1a3rt
    • By H1a3rt 7th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    H1a3rt
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    1. Go to Administrative Tools/Services, and stop the Windows Update service.
    2. Then go to the folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of the files and folders.
    3. Then go back to Services and restart the Windows Update service which will recreate all of those folders again.
    4. Then manually run the Update Service

That should kick things off again.

Also windows updates for windows 7 officially ends in 2020
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 7th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 8,145 Posts
    • 5,888 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:19 PM
    1. Go to Administrative Tools/Services, and stop the Windows Update service.
    2. Then go to the folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of the files and folders.
    3. Then go back to Services and restart the Windows Update service which will recreate all of those folders again.
    4. Then manually run the Update Service

That should kick things off again.
    Originally posted by H1a3rt
    ^^ If that doesn't help, try running SURT (the System Update Readiness Tool):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/947821/fix-windows-update-errors-by-using-the-dism-or-system-update-readiness
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 7th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    After not having had one for a while I thought I'd check in control panel and there's: X Windows Update Service not running - I tried all the options given on their support page, even downloading "the" fix. Nought. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?
    (I had tried windows 10 a good while ago but I REALLY hated it, as also my printer was no longer supported and I'm not one for scrapping perfectly good gadgets, so I asked the techie to put 7 back on) . Any advice appreciated.
    Originally posted by Happygreen
    you don't need to scrap a printer because the driver isn't being updated.

if you have activated win10 on that device you should be able to reinstall and activate automatically

wonder how many people are still running win95?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Considering its long obsolete, its technical limitations and modern web browsers don't run on it, its little if any use in today's world.

It may still be knocking around offline in some business premises to feed some long-obscure CADCAM machine that would cost a fortune and then some more to bring up to date but apart from that...
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 7th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 9,918 Thanks
    Happygreen
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:05 PM
    you don't need to scrap a printer because the driver isn't being updated.

if you have activated win10 on that device you should be able to reinstall and activate automatically

Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    I tried. It didn't work and there was no driver for Win 10 (not even 8) available. Still, I'll run 7 until it stops. Am even considering to replace the oldie with a Mac, that's how far my joy of Windows 10 goes.

Thanks, everyone, will tackle it tomorrow!
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 8th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:53 PM
    FWIW, Classic Shell (http://classicshell.net/) gives a Windows 7 appearance to Windows 10. It is free, I use it on 2 x laptops and 1 x desktop, works great.

Cannot help with obsolete printer though...
    Last edited by Frozen_up_north; 08-03-2018 at 12:54 PM. Reason: More apostrophe troubles with this forum!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 8th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    Will the printer driver not install in Win 7 Compatibility mode on Win 10?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • H1a3rt
    • By H1a3rt 8th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    H1a3rt
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:00 PM
    I tried. It didn't work and there was no driver for Win 10 (not even 8) available. Still, I'll run 7 until it stops. Am even considering to replace the oldie with a Mac, that's how far my joy of Windows 10 goes.

Thanks, everyone, will tackle it tomorrow!
    Windows 10 is not so bad once you get used to it. Its like every new operating system, no one likes the change but soon get used to it, unless its windows ME
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 8th Mar 18, 5:54 PM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Which printer do you have OP? There may be another driver you can feed it to get it working. Sometimes you can just plug them in and Windows knows what to do with it out of the box...
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 5,028 Posts
    • 30,289 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    I actually still run a windows 3.1 pc at work, for legacy equipment.
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 9th Mar 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    LHW99
    Yes, as per Blackbeard, still have 95 (98, 98SE, XP, VISTA) for various programs / boards that can't be updated for legacy control functions. All offline though.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 10th Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 9,918 Thanks
    Happygreen
    FWIW, Classic Shell (http://classicshell.net/) gives a Windows 7 appearance to Windows 10. It is free, I use it on 2 x laptops and 1 x desktop, works great.

Cannot help with obsolete printer though...
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    It wasn't the visual appearance that infuriated me in 10, lots of other changes incorporated and stuff I could no longer find in the system.
    • Happygreen
    • By Happygreen 10th Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,610 Posts
    • 9,918 Thanks
    Happygreen
    Which printer do you have OP? There may be another driver you can feed it to get it working. Sometimes you can just plug them in and Windows knows what to do with it out of the box...
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    I searched back then, all I found were virus riddled pretend sources for drivers. Nothing from HP. It's the HP Deskjet F 4580.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 10th Mar 18, 9:54 AM
    • 5,778 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    It wasn't the visual appearance that infuriated me in 10, lots of other changes incorporated and stuff I could no longer find in the system.
    it take everyone a couple of days to adjust to a new os

you need to enable god mode in win10. i have 2 icons on my desktop - recycle bin & god mode
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 10th Mar 18, 10:11 AM
    • 8,276 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    I actually still run a windows 3.1 pc at work, for legacy equipment.
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Until pretty recently (about 6 years ago) - we still used DOS to run a certain legacy program - and that was a government department !!
    • outofworksch
    • By outofworksch 10th Mar 18, 4:06 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    outofworksch
    Have you tried this one ?

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-deskjet-f4500-all-in-one-printer-series/3944755/model/3944756/swItemId/al-109196-5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,331Posts Today

5,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin