Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • drewbydoo
    • By drewbydoo 7th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 10Thanks
    drewbydoo
    How can a CRA get away with this? Or can't they?
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    How can a CRA get away with this? Or can't they? 7th Mar 18 at 7:02 PM
    Hello!
    I need some advice please! But first, let me tell you what's up...

So, back towards the end of 2016, my fiance and I started looking at houses with the hope of getting a mortgage. We found that it wasn't possible, due to my credit file having 2 defaults and a CCJ, which I then worked my butt off to satisfy, and subsequently did.

Finally towards the end of 2017 we were in a good enough position to apply for a mortgage, because my Experian had a (high) fair score and was only showing one default (which was dated 2014) the other default (one from 2016) as well as the CCJ from 2016 had both disappeared from my file - I assumed because I had contested one of them, and the other one I assumed was removed by the lender shortly after I settled it.

HOWEVER... today I find that "due to a technical issue" they have now both magically reappeared on my file, after having not been there for a year, in which time we've secured a mortgage, because the lender was happy to lend with my one default that was there.

Ok, so yes, it's great and very flippin' lucky that we've managed to get a mortgage and I have also managed to get a small credit card too to keep building my score, BUT how can Experian mess with peoples lives like this?!

It means that now when we come to remortgage in 2020, instead of having no defaults showing - as the one that the lender did know about was 2014 and will have all but dropped off by remortgage time - there will now be another default and a CCJ on there that haven't been there for the last year!!!

So my question is - can they get away with this? Is there anyone who "polices" these agencies that I can send a complaint to? Can the FO do anything about this?

It's disgusting. A technical fault that has been a year ongoing...

So currently, having had a really high score yesterday (and for the last x amount of months) it's nosedived to very poor, and I'm absolutely livid.

If anyone knows if there's anything I can do about this, or if I can raise this to a higher power, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,420 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:12 PM
    Am I correct in thinking that these markers are a factual record of your conduct? If so, you've been fortunate that they disappeared for a while, but now they have caught up with you. There's nothing wrong or disgusting about that.

If the markers are not an accurate record, then you should contact Experian and ask them to resolve their error. That should be done in plenty of time for you to be renewing your mortgage.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 16,800 Posts
    • 17,812 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:16 PM
    It seems you got very lucky.

Continue monitoring your files to ensure the data is correct but don't concern yourself with the fake scores.

In the meantime, continue to build solid credit history and check all three CRAs if you haven't already.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 7th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    John-K
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:40 PM
    How can they get away with correctly recording your very poor money management?

I do not understand the question.
    • drewbydoo
    • By drewbydoo 7th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    drewbydoo
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:41 PM
    @BorisThomson @john-K - don't be so quick to judge! I've always been pretty good with money and credit, but I lost my job unexpectedly in 2015 which lead to me being unable to pay things. Hence satisfying them as soon as I was able to (not many people bother!).

@zx81 - thanks, all CRA's are now showing all the same data (well, Equifax was also not showing the ccj and other default too, I will now check to see if they've reappeared here too) it was only when I checked CallCredit and saw the other default was showing (no ccj though) that I realised something was up with Experian!

Either way, by 2020 whatever remains on my file shouldn't have too much of a detrimental affect by the I'd have thought - I was under the impression they affect things less over the course of the 6 years they are present?
    • John-K
    • By John-K 7th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    John-K
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    I!!!8217;m not judging, honestly, just being a bit abrupt in pointing out that if the entries are correct then yes, they definitely can have them in there.

I do not understand how this is them doing anything wrong. They made a mistake that may have let you get a mortgage that you would not otherwise have got.
    • drewbydoo
    • By drewbydoo 7th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    drewbydoo
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:36 PM
    @John-K Oh absolutely, I'm not complaining in that respect, as it appears I've been very very lucky, and I am definitely thanking whoever or whatever is looking out for me!

I'm just concerned that these companies - who essentially hold massive sway over our lives, can have an issue with their system that has apparently been going on for a year or more. That can't be right surely? And in that respect, surely I have the right to complain that as far as I or anyone else knew, my file only had one default on it, and now that it no longer does, it could affect things for us in 2020.

I just wonder who holds these companies to account?

As it is, the credit game is just that - a game. To these people at least.

I've worked so hard to sort out my genuine mistakes in life, and it doesn't seem right that I still have no control over my own life when it comes to these things. (Not looking for sympathy in any way, just understanding and if possible - help/advice).

I'm worried now that this could affect me trying to start a family and cause us issues further down the line when I've essentially "done my time" ! I know not everyone will see it that way, but not everyone has been lucky or wise enough to avoid financial bumps in the road in their lives.

Still find it weird that the "missing" default and ccj aren't showing on Equifax as well. Wondering if it's worth talking to the creditor of the default and the court of the ccj to see why, but scared it might then be re-added to that one too! Eeesh. It's a stressful situation.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    Also you're not building a score.
    You're building a history.
    The score is to be ignored.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 58,452 Posts
    • 51,825 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:06 PM
    Any lender will pick up the CCJ via a search of the Trust Registry. Whether they lend or not is an internal policy matter. Nothing to do with your credit history score.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin