Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dividendhero
    • By dividendhero 7th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 187Thanks
    dividendhero
    Foreign and Colonial name change!
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:49 PM
    Foreign and Colonial name change! 7th Mar 18 at 6:49 PM
    As many on here will know, Foreign and Colonial is the oldest IT in the world - 150 years old this year.

Now transpires they plan to change it's name!

http://citywire.co.uk/investment-trust-insider/news/foreign-and-colonial-seeks-new-image-with-fandc-name-change/a1098758?ref=investment-trust-insider-latest-news-list

Leave well alone I'd say, the name is certainly old fashioned - but that;s part of its attraction
Page 1
    • jamei305
    • By jamei305 7th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    jamei305
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:09 PM
    Makes sense. It would be a bit strange to get a Peninsular and Oriental ferry from Dover to Calais.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 58,925 Posts
    • 52,253 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    Likewise British Petroleum.

Who remembers Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds?
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:14 PM
    It would be sad to see its name change but at least it's being done sensitively and it is hard to continue with a name that is associated with exploitation, slavery, racism, etc
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 58,925 Posts
    • 52,253 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:16 PM
    It would be sad to see its name change but at least it's being done sensitively and it is hard to continue with a name that is associated with exploitation, slavery, racism, etc
    Originally posted by Alexland
    Bristol wishes to rid itself of the name Colsten..... I wonder what they'll do with Whiteladies Road. History being erased.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:29 PM
    Oh, I don't know, the honours system still awards people, "Order of the British Empire", etc.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,573 Posts
    • 1,955 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    Oh, I don't know, the honours system still awards people, "Order of the British Empire", etc.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    And some people find it offensive and decline the honour. They write to me every year asking...
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 7th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 12,650 Posts
    • 11,313 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:42 PM
    Bristol wishes to rid itself of the name Colsten..... I wonder what they'll do with Whiteladies Road. History being erased.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Or Blackboy Hill.

As it's still going to be F&C I don't think it's a major problem as the company is already commonly referred to as that already
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:00 PM
    And some people find it offensive and decline the honour. They write to me every year asking...
    Oh, I didn't say I approved of it, but rather that it doesn't seem to bother many people, so I very much doubt that the name Foreign and Colonial does either.

I know what you mean though, it really is tiresome getting those phonecalls from the cabinet secretary!
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 7th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 3,726 Posts
    • 2,215 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    Ah, Whiteladies Road. A favoured drinking run when I worked in Bristol, always ending up in the kebab shop by the Hippodrome.... "chilli sauce on that sir....oshh ok thennnn".
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • dividendhero
    • By dividendhero 7th Mar 18, 10:05 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    dividendhero
    Likewise British Petroleum.

Who remembers Guest, Keen and Nettlefolds?
    Guess the name change from Foreign & Colonial could be worse - the fiasco of the Post Office renaming itself as Consignia spring to mind.

Must admit at first I hated the name Diageo (formerly Guinness), but it has grown on me since - but it's taken nearly 20 years!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    • 58,925 Posts
    • 52,253 Thanks
    Thrugelmir

Must admit at first I hated the name Diageo (formerly Guinness), but it has grown on me since - but it's taken nearly 20 years!
    Originally posted by dividendhero
    Then you'll recall Grand Metropolitan. Looking back you realise how many quoted listed companies have disappeared over the years. As GM itself was a highly acquisitive Company.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 8th Mar 18, 1:59 AM
    • 12,143 Posts
    • 8,262 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Or Blackboy Hill.

As it's still going to be F&C I don't think it's a major problem as the company is already commonly referred to as that already
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Well, the Black Boy who is honoured here was actually King Charles II, so until we become a republic that name at least is safe.
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 8th Mar 18, 2:35 AM
    • 4,391 Posts
    • 3,944 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    why didn't they change it to "Foreign and Commonwealth"? which neatly fits the F&C initials. and is in effect an indirect way of saying "Global", which fits their investing remit.

i hold shares in British Empire Trust. i've no good suggestions for how that could be renamed. perhaps the best defence of the current name is that it's so silly that nobody could take it seriously. they could just call it "Bruce".
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 8th Mar 18, 3:12 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    TBC15
    You are quite right it is mis-selling as those sort of returns are no longer available.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 8th Mar 18, 8:37 AM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    Biggles
    I've been using them for my grandchildren's investment plans for years and thought they had changed to F&C years ago. Obviously not! I think they must have been using it for ages and are just making it official.
    • A_T
    • By A_T 8th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 442 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    A_T
    is the East India Company still going?
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 8th Mar 18, 10:14 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 884 Thanks
    IanManc
    I would guess that they'll keep the name Whiteladies Road, seeing the name derives from a dialect name for snowdrops.

Spring flowers seem pretty inoffensive.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 8th Mar 18, 10:53 AM
    • 4,251 Posts
    • 6,692 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Well, the Black Boy who is honoured here was actually King Charles II, so until we become a republic that name at least is safe.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    No it isn't, not when you have to be very brave or foolhardy to use the word "niggardly" in public even though it is unrelated to the Latinate word for "black". Progressive consensus holds that if someone considers the term "Blackboy Hill" offensive, then it's offensive. Whether the name actually has anything to do with persons of colour is irrelevant. Objective reality cannot violate someone's right to be offended.

The East India Company was dissolved in the 1870s, but it had already effectively ceased to exist in the 1850s when its powers and private army were subsumed by the Crown.
    • longleggedhair
    • By longleggedhair 8th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    longleggedhair
    If it's being done for simplicity then I'm sad, but fair enough, if this is political correctness then I shall be writing a strongly worded letter to the Daily Mail haha.

On a serious note though I think it's sad that certain groups seem to find anything offensive, I find myself recognising my own country less and less each day.

A final thought, I doubt very much the kind of people who would find that name offensive would even know what an IT is, less still be an investor in one. I will vote against the name change.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,144Posts Today

7,961Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin