Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Elleshere
    • By Elleshere 7th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Elleshere
    Worked abroad came back to uk, first job w1
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:49 PM
    Worked abroad came back to uk, first job w1 7th Mar 18 at 5:49 PM
    Hi i was working abroad for a year but now im back and im working my first job in the uk. Im on emergency tax code 0t w1. Im working through an agency does this have anything to do with it? Its also a temp job and i started two weeks ago. How do i get this fixed or should i be on an emergency code since i was working abroad.
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 7:29 PM
    Once your employer notifies HMRC that you have started working for them HMRC will arrange for a code number to be issued for you.

Until then emergency code is correct
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 9th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 2,102 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    but 0t wk 1 is not a normal emergency code & will stay as 0t into the new tax year. 1150L wk 1 is normal, so unless you are earning over £100k then it is most probably wrong.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 9th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    If the OP hasn't confirmed to the employer that this his is their first job since 6 April 2017 and they havenít received taxable Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, or a State Pension or workplace pension then code 0T WK1 is correct.

Of course the OP's employer may have taken the easy way out and opted for that choice instead of asking him.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin