Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Weeman88..
    • By Weeman88.. 7th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Weeman88..
    Help!!. Company Disrepute
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:23 PM
    Help!!. Company Disrepute 7th Mar 18 at 5:23 PM
    Dear forum

On my final warning at my company & I said something Stupid & wrong on Facebook. I deleted almost straightaway,got a meeting Saturday & so scared & worried about what they're going to do or say. I'm just assuming they're sacking me to be honest. It's just an investigation meeting on Saturday but I think they'll send it to a disciplinary. Someone help me!!..please!!. I'm begging anyone for advice. I never meant anything by what I said I regret it & I'm very remorseful..I just think they'll listen but ignore it all really. !!!128546;!!!128546;!!!128546;

New to this so forgive me if it's in the wrong place & move it or give me a link to the right place if it's not this one. thank you.
    Last edited by Weeman88..; 07-03-2018 at 7:50 PM.
Page 2
    • Weeman88..
    • By Weeman88.. 7th Mar 18, 9:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Weeman88..
    Longer than you think....
    Well sadly I've made mistakes & i admit that,granted some were just silly accidents but in my defense I've been a good colleague otherwise. Got 100% on the MCM report for the store. Got good notes & feedback from customers & always keeping them happy. I just said a silly thing & that's it. It's made out like It's as bad as stealing from the place. I just want to prove that I can do good again. Yes,I have been there 2 years & 4 months. So you'd be surprised how long. Also,yes I'm assuming that's me down & out, giving up 'cos I can't come back from it by how some of you are making it sound,but I need a chance. I feel like I'm just going to heard & written down rather than listened too.
    • Weeman88..
    • By Weeman88.. 7th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Weeman88..
    Longer than you think....
    Well sadly I've made mistakes & i admit that,granted some were just silly accidents but in my defense I've been a good colleague otherwise. Got 100% on the MCM report for the store. Got good notes & feedback from customers & always keeping them happy. I just said a silly thing & that's it. It's made out like It's as bad as stealing from the place. I just want to prove that I can do good again. Yes,I have been there 2 years & 4 months. So you'd be surprised how long. Also,yes I'm assuming that's me down & out, giving up 'cos I can't come back from it by how some of you are making it sound,but I need a chance. I feel like I'm just going to heard & written down rather than listened too.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 7th Mar 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    z1a
    Removed employer from my quote.

Restored name seeing as OP's determined to name.
    Last edited by z1a; 09-03-2018 at 5:31 PM.
    • Auntie-Dolly
    • By Auntie-Dolly 7th Mar 18, 10:23 PM
    • 966 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    Auntie-Dolly
    Is the meeting on Saturday definitely about the FB post?
    • John-K
    • By John-K 7th Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    John-K
    . Got 100% on the MCM report for the store. Got good notes & feedback from customers & always keeping them happy. I just said a silly thing & that's it. It's made out like It's as bad as stealing from the place.
    Originally posted by Weeman88..
    This is as frustrating as hell, you reall do not get it, do you?

Stop making excuses, stop looking for ways to avoid responsibility for what you have done. If you were genuinely contrite you would be doing this. You are still acting as though you are being hard done-by here, when you are not.

You have done something very stupid, and do not seem able to get it into your head that this is all down to you.

I am out.
    • Weeman88..
    • By Weeman88.. 8th Mar 18, 4:03 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Weeman88..
    Been there 2 years so you'll be surprised. Just want to prove myself that I can do better & be a better colleague. They could just reissue the final warning...
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 8th Mar 18, 6:55 AM
    • 16,682 Posts
    • 41,268 Thanks
    FBaby
    You said you removed the comment immediately, but did you remove it when you realised you were wrong, but it later came out that someone did see it and reported you, or did someone saw it first and contacted you to say you should remove it? You have a better chance if the former and of course, it depends on what you said.

The chances are that they will dismiss you, after all, a FINAL warning is that, but you never know, and your remorseful attitude is certainly your only chance.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 8th Mar 18, 7:24 AM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    marlot
    Thanks for any advice people. Don't hold any hope really. I feel like giving up in everything!!. Don't know why I bother!.

Just one bad comment & I deleted it..just worse that I'm on a final warning that's all.

I'll go to the meeting for the hell of it but doubt they'll do anything to help.
    My advice is ... take control of your life.

Work out where you want to be in 5 years or longer.

Then evaluate everything you do with that goal in mind - do your words and actions help towards your goal, or distract from it? Aim to do more of the useful things each day, and less of the unhelpful ones.
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 8th Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    Show remorse, agree it was totally stupid, lack of judgement and hope for the best. I'd be amazed if you still have a job though. Don't go in with excuses or asking for another chance - you've had chances, you're on a final warning, just throw yourself on their mercy at this point.

Final warning makes it worse, but depending how your IT/SM policy is written this could have been gross misconduct anyway so they could dismiss without any warnings.
    • Always Alba
    • By Always Alba 8th Mar 18, 1:01 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Always Alba
    My advice is;
    1. Go to the meeting and say you are sorry. If there are other issues in your life that caused you to act as you did, then mention that. Got to say your position doesn't look good but you have to face up to it no matter how uncomfortable it will be.
    2. Write down what you want to say at the meeting in advance. No doubt on Saturday you will be nervous and so to have it prepared means you have a better chance of getting your story across.
    3. Do you have access to a copy of the disciplinary procedure?. If not, get a copy and read it to make sure that the company are following the correct procedure. If in doubt, call ACAS and get their view.
    4 From my experience of a family member who got sacked from a supermarket, sackings are fairly frequent and for the smallest of reasons.
    5. If you do get sacked, speak to the Citizens Advice about benefits and money and the chances of winning an appeal. Also make a claim for Universal Credit. Chances are the job centre will investigate your claim and the reason for the claim but having been fired from a previous job, they still paid me the benefit.
    6. Try to reflect on your career, your attitudes to work and what you want to do next. Learn some lessons.
    7 Put space between this company and your next job opportunity. Do some volunteering to provide an alternative reference and to maintain your confidence. Look at "do it.org" for volunteering opportunities. Even if you do it short term, you will get a benefit.
    8 Get an up to date CV done and start looking for a new job. You don't have to put the reason for leaving your old job on the forms (possibly use "contract terminated") but if asked at an interview, always tell the truth.
    9 If you have bills to pay, tell your creditors of your change in circumstances - the CAB can advise on this.
    10. Remember that being sacked is not the end of the story, it's an opportunity to start again. It will be a difficult period but it can be done.
    • Weeman88..
    • By Weeman88.. 9th Mar 18, 10:38 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Weeman88..
    I have been there over 2 years actually!. Everything's gone wrong!!. Just want them to see I'm sorry & I deeply regret it & that I'm very remorseful. I removed quite quickly. I've lost my great uncle,my dog & my Grandma is seriously ill in hospital. I was/am upset & angry & took it out on Sainbury's for them not informing me & others of changes. I should of asked for time off but I don't like asking for help. Now I probably won't get a chance. I doubt they'll take that into consideration at all.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,938 Thanks
    Comms69
    Well you clearly haven't learned! STOP NAMING YOUR EMPLOYER!
    • John-K
    • By John-K 9th Mar 18, 11:40 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    John-K
    OP, do you have learning difficulties, or special educational needs? You have been told repeatedly to stop mentioning your employer, yet here you are, doing it again.

This is a serious question, do you have a diagnosable condition that means that you need care? You seem to have neither impulse control nor the ability to moderate your actions.

Do you have a carer?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    Smodlet
    OP, do you have learning difficulties, or special educational needs? You have been told repeatedly to stop mentioning your employer, yet here you are, doing it again.

This is a serious question, do you have a diagnosable condition that means that you need care? You seem to have neither impulse control nor the ability to moderate your actions.

Do you have a carer?
    Originally posted by John-K
    It's so tempting...
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Nothanks
    • By Nothanks 9th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Nothanks
    I hope this thread is a wind up.

If not, stop naming your employer you numpty.

This is the rule of thumb I use:
    Don't put anything on social media you wouldn't say in a job interview.

I sometimes put quirky or irreverent, I sometimes talk politics, I never talk work.

Although it sounds like Saturday could be the investigation meeting, so may be the formal disciplinary will follow 3 days later.

But sorry OP, it doesn't look positive mate.
    Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 9th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 6,048 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Been there 2 years so you'll be surprised. Just want to prove myself that I can do better & be a better colleague. They could just reissue the final warning...
    That's the bit that did it for me. It seems "final" has a different meaning on the OP's planet.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • z1a
    • By z1a 9th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    z1a
    I have been there over 2 years actually!. Everything's gone wrong!!. Just want them to see I'm sorry & I deeply regret it & that I'm very remorseful. I removed quite quickly. I've lost my great uncle,my dog & my Grandma is seriously ill in hospital. I was/am upset & angry & took it out on Sainbury's for them not informing me & others of changes. I should of asked for time off but I don't like asking for help. Now I probably won't get a chance. I doubt they'll take that into consideration at all.
    Ah well, Op's determined to name them, so I'll re-insert it into my previous quote.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin