Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • windowman58
    • By windowman58 7th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 1Thanks
    windowman58
    Trivial commutation
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:12 PM
    Trivial commutation 7th Mar 18 at 5:12 PM
    Just, wondering how many of the trivials you can take , not decided in a previous post to take my lump,sum or let them keep paying my pension even though they want to get shot of small pensions , so if I take this one as a lump sum and it is all finished and no further pensions , does this prevent me taking another trivial commutation ,on another pension,
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 25,371 Posts
    • 14,967 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:09 PM
    See and read very carefully

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/pensioners-and-tax/how-do-i-cash-my-small-pension-trivial-commutation
    • H&C
    • By H&C 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    H&C
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    Also have a look at The Pensions Advisory Service website:
    Go to......Home > About Pensions > Retirement Choices > The right choice for me? > Taking a small pension as a cash lump sum.

"Rules on taking a small pension as a cash lump sum you may be able to take the whole of your pension as a trivial commutation lump sum if:
    You’re aged at least 55, or you’re retiring at an earlier age because of ill-health; and the value of all your pension benefits (including defined contribution pensions and pensions already in payment, but ignoring any State Pension) when added together do not exceed £30,000 in total.

You may be able to take the whole of your pension as a small pot if you’re aged at least 55, or you are retiring at an earlier age because of ill-health; and the value of your pension arrangement does not exceed £10,000.

Unlike trivial commutation, you do not have to take into account any other pension benefits you may have, when giving up a pension for a small pot. The Government will allow you to give up three pension arrangements under the small pots rule"
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 7th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:57 PM
    Seems to be identical to the question you asked earlier today....? Answers haven't changed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,195Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin