Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 7th Mar 18, 4:50 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 41Thanks
    Jorell00
    EBay faulty phone
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:50 PM
    EBay faulty phone 7th Mar 18 at 4:50 PM
    Hi. I purchased a phone on 31 Aug 2017. The phone has an inherent fault, it has really bad reception, calls cut out, text don't arrive etc. I researched and the phone (umidigi z pro) has a fault, to make it a dual sim they made the aerial to short. Not just on my phone but all phones of this model. I contacted the seller in November and again in February asking for a refund under consumers rights act. No response from them. And after my last messege they are no longer registered with eBay. I've spoke to eBay and PayPal and they are unwilling to help. Is they anything I can do.? Its supposed to have a 2 year warranty but the seller won't respond to me. HELP ME PLEASE.
    Thanks
    Jef
Page 1
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 7th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 5,774 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:18 PM
    Ebay / PayPal wonít assist you at this late stage.

If you can get a postal address for the company then you could send them a letter before action and if no responses then the small claims court, but to be honest I wouldnít bother.

The above is assuming itís a U.K. based company, but re reading your post Iím guessing there is a chance itís a Chinese seller. If this is the case youíve no chance.

If itís a generic fault then Iíd suggest chasing the manufacturer, but if theyíre based in Asia then anything would be a goodwill gesture.
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 7th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Jorell00
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    The ebay seller is a UK seller. But as I said won't reply to me. I was originally going to resell it on ebay, but as I know its a bad phone, I don't want to. But I also don't want to be £210 out of pocket. How about the credit card company, could I have any success with them.
    • 19lottie82
    • By 19lottie82 7th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 5,774 Posts
    • 8,691 Thanks
    19lottie82
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:46 PM
    If you have an address for the seller then you can send him a letter before action with a view to take him to the small claims court.

I could be mistaken but I donít think the credit card company will help as you essentially paid PayPal who then paid the seller. Someone else may be able advise in more detail.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 7th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    RFW
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 10:01 PM
    Was it listed as new or used?

Not that that would make too much difference, if you can't get hold of the seller you can't get any money from them.

If it was new and the Ebay listing had a guarantee on it then you can try chasing Ebay and Paypal via Twitter and/or Facebook. They may give an ex-gratia refund.

As said above the credit card company may try and wriggle out of it by saying it went through Paypal but there's nothing to lose in putting a claim in.
    • Jorell00
    • By Jorell00 8th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Jorell00
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 12:28 AM
    It was brand new. I think it was a Chinese seller, that have a UK office . And was sent from the UK
    Rgds
    Jef
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 8th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    If you should decide to "reach out" to eBay on facebook or twitter I'd be making some noise along the lines of why eBay are not making UK business sellers liable for new "guaranteed" items and non positive buying experiences. making you unwilling to ever spend decent money on the site again. etc etc.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    RFW
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:50 PM
    If you should decide to "reach out" to eBay on facebook or twitter I'd be making some noise along the lines of why eBay are not making UK business sellers liable for new "guaranteed" items and non positive buying experiences. making you unwilling to ever spend decent money on the site again. etc etc.
    Originally posted by Pierre De Grenoble
    Agreed. I'd caution to start with a first post that is polite and implies some of the above. Then depending on how they respond add some more to the follow up message. You need to get them to want to avoid the 'scandal" rather than throw it out there straight away.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 8,692 Posts
    • 5,061 Thanks
    RFW
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 9:54 PM
    It was brand new. I think it was a Chinese seller, that have a UK office . And was sent from the UK
    Rgds
    Jef
    Originally posted by Jorell00
    Chinese seller doesn't help. There's almost zero chance of being a good way to get the seller to cough up, letters before action, court claims, etc are likely to be a waste of effort and/or money.

Ebay, Paypal and credit card are the best options in my opinion.
    • vtech19
    • By vtech19 9th Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    vtech19
    i think you have a 6month deadline for a paypal case, a 1 month for ebay (if i remember correctly)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,282Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin