Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 7th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 200Posts
    • 178Thanks
    TamsinC
    Building Survey in and problems
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    Building Survey in and problems 7th Mar 18 at 4:42 PM
    We have FINALLY received the building survey and there are a few problems. Works to repair amounting to a minimum of £11K (will probably be more as a very ild property and its not a simple case of repair or replace with modern stuff - for example a section of roof needs retiling and backing with lime plaster. Other surveys have been recommended and they could find more work needing doing. Our vendor is wanting to move fairly soon (we have no rush), and so we could just negotiate money off or we could get extra surveys done as well. What would people suggest? If we offered £20K ?(figure plucked from the air) less to cover for other things that might turn up and the cost of the extra surveys, and to get the sale moving etc would that be considered okay? I have no idea about the etiquette of these things.
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 977 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    They might accept it they might not.

Important figure to you is a valuation after the survey taking the details of the survey into account.

Only that would persuade me as a seller.
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 7th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    TamsinC
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:09 PM
    They might accept it they might not.

Important figure to you is a valuation after the survey taking the details of the survey into account.

Only that would persuade me as a seller.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    AH, survey did not include a valuation - mortgage company did that and couldn't upgrade to a full building survey so we went ahead and did our own but it doesn't come with a valuation. I should maybe state vendor has had the property on and off the market for a good few years - we are at the very, very top of our budget and these extras mean we can't do the work we actually want to do. He has offered to come down in order to expedite the sale. My thoughts are that we would be taking a risk on not getting extra surveys done before exchange and so to offer lower than just the repairs that are seeable costs, he would gain by getting a quicker sale - we were probably only 3 weeks off completion and this could now extend to a good couple of months.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 7th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:15 PM
    AH, survey did not include a valuation - mortgage company did that and couldn't upgrade to a full building survey so we went ahead and did our own but it doesn't come with a valuation. I should maybe state vendor has had the property on and off the market for a good few years - we are at the very, very top of our budget and these extras mean we can't do the work we actually want to do. He has offered to come down in order to expedite the sale. My thoughts are that we would be taking a risk on not getting extra surveys done before exchange and so to offer lower than just the repairs that are seeable costs, he would gain by getting a quicker sale - we were probably only 3 weeks off completion and this could now extend to a good couple of months.
    Originally posted by TamsinC
    Could you not have asked (and paid extra) for a valuation with your survey?
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • ashe
    • By ashe 7th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:22 PM
    Originally posted by dunroving
    I’ve only ever had homebuyers surveys but they’ve always had a section on valuation against sale price
    • TamsinC
    • By TamsinC 7th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    TamsinC
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    Originally posted by dunroving
    Um, maybe - I didn't know I could ask? Could I ask them to do it now?

I’ve only ever had homebuyers surveys but they’ve always had a section on valuation against sale price
    Originally posted by ashe
    Building surveys don't apparently
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

440Posts Today

5,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin