Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • _Larry_
    • By _Larry_ 7th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    _Larry_
    Car servicing costs
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:35 PM
    Car servicing costs 7th Mar 18 at 4:35 PM
    I have a Kia Sportage coming up for its year 4 service (4 years old)
    2.0L Diesel
    I've had it from new & let Kia service it so far.
    Its now done 29K miles (average about 7K per year)
    It's obviously still in its 7 year warranty.
    My location is Suffolk UK
    Kia dealer says this service is 385 (yes, nearly 400 quid!)
    A few of questions...
    Is 385 pounds more than it should be?
    If I got it serviced elsewhere, would I keep my warranty intact?
    What should I expect the service cost to be?
    I read about 'ServicingStop' on MSE, and there's a clue in their name why I shouldn't use them, even though they only charge 98 pounds, and that is STOP!
    Last edited by _Larry_; 07-03-2018 at 4:37 PM.
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:40 PM
    Is 385 pounds more than it should be?
    Originally posted by _Larry_
    Depends what is serviced. At cheap places you are lucky to get an oil change. Still main dealers also vary in quality.

If I got it serviced elsewhere, would I keep my warranty intact?
    Read the terms! It's a 4 years old car now. The waranty probably no longer covers anything likely to happen.

What should I expect the service cost to be?
    The point of a service is to raise things that need doing so it depends. For the service alone? Depends where you are, I don't know your neck of the woods. I expect to pay around 150 to a decent independant for a basic service. More if it's a major service.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 7th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 657 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:35 PM
    Try a quote from a different Kia dealer.

I would be willing to pay a bit extra to keep the full manufacturers service history for a car in warranty. Avoids any 'discussion' about the quality of the work.
    • Trying17
    • By Trying17 7th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trying17
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:50 PM
    Had the same on my Hyundai, if I could choose again I would not have paid it.
    It was the service for my last year of warranty. ( 5 year )

When you look into the pages of paperwork, there is very little that is really done, lots of boxes ticked,
    and a washed car, its a lot of money.
    • missile
    • By missile 7th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 9,479 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    missile
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:03 PM
    That is more than I paid for the 4 year service + MOT on my SQ5 @ the Audi main dealer
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Noree
    • By Noree 7th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Noree
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:12 PM
    Anyone can have their car serviced anywhere as long as manufacture approved parts are used and you stick to the intervals for additional filters etc.

That is from when the car is new.

So you dont actually have to pay all that money in the first place.

This ruling has been in place for a long time (something like 10-15 years) but it has not been common knowledge for whatever reason.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 7th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    • 2,503 Posts
    • 1,638 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:43 PM
    Only issue is a possible argument with Kia / the dealer if something fails because they say an non OEM oil filter was used, or the wrong oil quality etc etc - because they could. Seems a shame to potentially ruin a warranty for what amounts to a small amount spread over a year's motoring.
    If you do go independent, find a recommended local garage, and check what filters etc need doing for that service. Worth asking them to fit genuine parts too.
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 8th Mar 18, 3:03 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:03 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:03 AM
    both my Hyundai's i10 and now i20 the 2nd and 4th are the expensive services, around 320 IIRC, though the i20 was reduced to 280, so i guess a sportage 380 is possible,

whilst it is possible to do outside KIA i thinks its generally accepted all goodwill will be lost so for piece of mind i would stick to KIA, expensive yes but no such thing as a free lunch. if you go outside KIA main dealer and garage puts wrong grade of oil in then the warranty is good as finished if KIA find out.

As for service stop don't even think about it, just look at the reviews on here, 100 service turns into 500 rip off, little more than middle men on sales targets.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,230Posts Today

6,236Users online

Martin's Twitter