Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrthwrght
    • By mrthwrght 7th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mrthwrght
    Joint Bank Account
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    Joint Bank Account 7th Mar 18 at 4:26 PM
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum so bear with me!
    I own the property that I live in with my partner - fixed mortgage is due for renewal in August at which point we will change it to a joint mortgage. Currently mortgage payments along with council tax, insurance etc. all come out of my own bank account and he contributes.
    We are wanting to get a joint bank account so that all of the joint bills can come out of there and I'm wondering the best way round it - if we opened a joint account now, could all of the bills, including mortgage, that are in my name only come out of a joint account? Or will we have to wait until August when the mortgage and bills get changed to joint?
    Many thanks in advance
    Last edited by mrthwrght; 07-03-2018 at 4:50 PM.
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 7th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 2,077 Posts
    • 1,399 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    You can do whatever option suits you best.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 25,377 Posts
    • 14,973 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:21 PM
    if we opened a joint account now, could all of the bills, including mortgage, that are in my name only come out of a joint account?
    Yes - think of couples with joint accounts who yet have individual DDs for phones/subscriptions/charities etc.

You might want to consider a Santander 123 (standard or LITE) which gives cash back on certain DDs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin