Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 7th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    • 4,017Posts
    • 7,282Thanks
    mishkanorman
    Faulty dishwasher
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:25 PM
    Faulty dishwasher 7th Mar 18 at 4:25 PM
    Looking for some consumer advice, I purchased a hotpoint dishwasher from AO IN April 2016, Feb 2017 the heating element failed and was replaced by hotpoint.

The heating element has now failed again but because we are 2 weeks over the year they refuse to repair it. Ao have offered to take 50 off the cost of the yearly extended warranty but that's still 100

Any advice ? I'd expect a dishwasher to last longer than a year but is that unreasonable ?
    Bow Ties ARE cool

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 2,631 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    It depends how you have used it. A machine used three times a day on the hottest cycle in a hard water area is taking a lot more punishment than one used once a day on an eco cycle.

Their offer seems reasonable to me.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 8th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    Furts
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 8:41 AM
    What is the cost of a Hotpoint agent repairing it? Or a local domestic appliance repair person?

Extended warranties are a huge money spinner for companies but are designed to work against consumers. That is a simple commercial reality - that is how insurance works.

I suspect you could get an extended warranty elsewhere at a lower price than AO who will be regarding you as a captive victim.

Basically you have almost received two years service from a low cost brand product. Not good, you have perhaps been unlucky, but not far off par for the course.

Plus one for future reference - why did you go with AO? Did you really expect any customer support when things went wrong? If customers support matters to you then you could be using a local euronics retailer, or similar, and not relying on an internet warehouse.
    • mishkanorman
    • By mishkanorman 8th Mar 18, 10:21 AM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    mishkanorman
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:21 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 10:21 AM
    We chose AO becuase we were buying basically an entire kitchen at once and needed the choice which our local retailer couldnt offer, the next nearest retailer is half hour drive away which wasnt practical for us with children - dragging them around for hours looking at all the options is no fun for anyone.

I've not had a price from Hotpoint, the part alone is 68 retail though.

If i had been ruinning a b&b and five loads a day I'd expect it to fail but its normal every other day family use.
    Bow Ties ARE cool

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais
    • Furts
    • By Furts 8th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    Furts
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:03 PM
    We chose AO becuase we were buying basically an entire kitchen at once and needed the choice which our local retailer couldnt offer, the next nearest retailer is half hour drive away which wasnt practical for us with children - dragging them around for hours looking at all the options is no fun for anyone.

I've not had a price from Hotpoint, the part alone is 68 retail though.

If i had been ruinning a b&b and five loads a day I'd expect it to fail but its normal every other day family use.
    Originally posted by mishkanorman

At 68 retail that is likely to be what an independent fitter would charge the part out at. OK there may be a reduction, but it looks like a 100 offer from AO is expedient. But also puzzling. Normally warranty cover cannot be taken out on items with existing faults that one immediately wants repaired.

Perhaps keep going with your machine a little longer and when it next goes wrong check out a more reputable brand, and a more reputable supplier.
    • Zandy_23
    • By Zandy_23 8th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Zandy_23
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:47 PM
    Should have surely lasted more than a year. How often did you use it in a day? 100 is still a big amount and it would be better if AO could still chop i bit more from that.
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 8th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    rob7475
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    Have you tried contacting hotpoint rather than AO. If it's only two weeks out of warranty and has already bee replaced once, they may offer a goodwill repair.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

443Posts Today

4,834Users online

Martin's Twitter