Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BaldEagle
    • By BaldEagle 7th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    • 205Posts
    • 121Thanks
    BaldEagle
    Housing Benefit: One-off Bonus
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:22 PM
    Housing Benefit: One-off Bonus 7th Mar 18 at 4:22 PM
    Hoping that someone may be able to provide some assistance with my query.

I was claiming HB up until mid-April. Due to a salary increase, I was no longer eligible. Subsequently, I was made redundant and I opened a new claim for both HB and CT support in December. I am not currently working, these are the only benefits I am claiming and I have no other income.

My former employer has written to me advising that I will be receiving a bonus, prorated for the time I was with them.

How will this one-off payment be treated?

My opinion is that it should only be classed as "income" for the first period I was in receipt of HB (i.e. up until mid-April) as I didn't "earn" it in December since I was no longer working at that point.

I'll be reporting it to my LA as a matter of course but I wanted to know if anyone could advise me how it's likely to be treated, point me to official guidelines, etc.
Page 1
    • tboo
    • By tboo 7th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    tboo
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:48 PM
    Hoping that someone may be able to provide some assistance with my query.

I was claiming HB up until mid-April. Due to a salary increase, I was no longer eligible. Subsequently, I was made redundant and I opened a new claim for both HB and CT support in December. I am not currently working, these are the only benefits I am claiming and I have no other income.

My former employer has written to me advising that I will be receiving a bonus, prorated for the time I was with them.

How will this one-off payment be treated?

My opinion is that it should only be classed as "income" for the first period I was in receipt of HB (i.e. up until mid-April) as I didn't "earn" it in December since I was no longer working at that point.

I'll be reporting it to my LA as a matter of course but I wanted to know if anyone could advise me how it's likely to be treated, point me to official guidelines, etc.
    Originally posted by BaldEagle
    Normally one off bonus' while you are employed are as you say included in the assessment of gross earning for that time frame.

So I suspect as it's for past employment it will be classed as arrears of earnings and count for the period it relates to.

The LA may well feel it's current arrears and include the money especially if you have no other income.

Definition of earnings
    P2.70 For an employed earner, earnings mean any remuneration or profit derived from employment and includes any
    I bonus or commission, including tips
    2 payment in lieu of remuneration, such as a payment made by a liquidator when a company has been wound up and employees are owed earnings

I can't find anything in writing relating to arrears as it's in the shelter handbook.
    started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    I don't have a diary but I do aim to be mortgage free by the beginning of August 2018
    30/04/18 £3600 to go // 15/05/18 £2349.37 to go
    • BaldEagle
    • By BaldEagle 8th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    BaldEagle
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    Thanks for the response, tboo.

I'm fully expecting it be be classed as arrears of earnings for the Jan-April period when I was claiming HB and accept this will result in an overpayment of benefit for that period.

I'm interested to know how they could class it as current arrears, though. If they do, over what period would they reduce my HB? Just for the week I received it? As an average over a period of time? Would they close my claim and make me resubmit after a specific time?

I'll probably be in a similar position at the end of the tax year as I've paid too much tax due to the payment of holiday, notice period, etc in my final pay so expecting a rebate.

Again, I have no problem with a percentage of that being "backdated" (i.e. the two weeks in April I was claiming HB) but feel it's harsh to class it as income when it relates to a period when I wasn't claiming.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 8th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    tboo
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    I can't speak on how your LA would work it out but if they do use it as current income you can always ask for a revision on the assessment.

They may well ask what the period it goes over. eg bonus for the year, but it may not make a difference to which period they put it onto anyway as any extra income will make an overpayment

If they put it onto your current claim it may be for ease so they don't mess with a past claim.

If it's past earnings then any overpayment will reduce the current assessment by £11.10 per week.

They won't close your current claim or make you reclaim
    started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    I don't have a diary but I do aim to be mortgage free by the beginning of August 2018
    30/04/18 £3600 to go // 15/05/18 £2349.37 to go
    • BaldEagle
    • By BaldEagle 8th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    BaldEagle
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 6:47 PM
    Thanks again for your response.

Once the money is paid to me and they've made a decision, I'll pop back with the outcome as I'm sure others will have encountered similar situations.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin