Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katie4
    • By katie4 7th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 38Thanks
    katie4
    just a query
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:14 PM
    just a query 7th Mar 18 at 4:14 PM
    when we bought our house last year we were given the paper deeds (quite a hefty stack)
    Should this have been given to us?

Page 1
    • ~Beanie~
    • By ~Beanie~ 7th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 2,935 Posts
    • 2,112 Thanks
    ~Beanie~
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    Yes, they are not needed anymore as everything is registered electronically with the land registry.

• katie4
    • By katie4 7th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    katie4
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    Yes, they are not needed anymore as everything is registered electronically with the land registry.
    Originally posted by ~Beanie~
    aha thanks what should i do with them then? if we ever sell do they go to the next occupier?

• davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 7,647 Posts
    • 7,779 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:01 PM
    aha thanks what should i do with them then? if we ever sell do they go to the next occupier?
    Originally posted by katie4
    They're not needed. You can bin them if you like. Next owner might like them for historical interest.
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 8th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:44 AM
    Up to you what you do with them, but they can be of historical interest as previous posters have said.

We went through ours and were quite impressed with the connections to the Stamfords of Dunham Massey, they were the Freeholders until the vendor acquired the Freehold a few years back. The original deeds were from 1929 and are beautiful documents inscribed by hand on parchment with the coat of arms at the top - quite impressive really. More recent typed versions from the 1980s are less impressive, but make it easier to read. Also highlighted that the original leaseholder was a coal merchant, which explains the piles of coal we found in the crawlspace under the ground floor!!

We also were given the original architects drawings for the kitchen extension that was completed in 2002 which will help us if/when we decide to do any kitchen refurbs in future.
    • Asmoosy
    • By Asmoosy 8th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Asmoosy
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:59 AM
    Iv kept all mine, my solicitor said to give them to my solicitor at the time of selling.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 8th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    • 6,385 Posts
    • 13,112 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:39 PM
    Yes, there is no reason now as when selling all you need is the land registry number. We have always kept ours though and passed them on to the solicitor when selling. Sometimes there are useful things in there like planning approval for extentions or guarantees for windows, old searches etc so I would not bin them without checking through them first.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • katie4
    • By katie4 8th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    katie4
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 4:02 PM
    Thanks everyone Yes it would seem a shame to bin them so we will keep them they do make for interesting reading ours daye back to the early 1800s!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,966Posts Today

8,304Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin