Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RobAliLincs
    • By RobAliLincs 7th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RobAliLincs
    How do you get a credit rating score
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:03 PM
    How do you get a credit rating score 7th Mar 18 at 4:03 PM
    My wife is trying to invest money into 1 year bonds with various banks. Each time she tries to do this they say that they have to carry out an electronic check to verify her identity and then say that they were unable to do this because of a lack of information. What information must be available to enable this to be successful. She has never had a loan / borrowed money, and does not have a credit card in her name. If she took out a credit card would this give her a credit rating score?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 16,836 Posts
    • 17,848 Thanks
    zx81
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:09 PM
    Normally being on the ER would do it. You would use a card to build a history, rather than to be found.

Escalate it with the three CRAs.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 7th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3,312 Posts
    • 27,089 Thanks
    thriftylass
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    Is she in the electoral roll and does she have bills like a mobile phone contract in her name. Maybe they mean that. You don't need a credit score or have taken credit before to pass a credit check.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Mar 18, 11:55 PM
    • 14,034 Posts
    • 13,296 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:55 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:55 PM
    Hi,

Been on the electoral role, having some form of loan/credit card/telecoms account, in her name.

If she has no existing credit accounts in her name, they cannot check her information against existing records to validate her identity.

She is off the grid so to speak.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Mar 18, 5:50 AM
    • 2,283 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:50 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 5:50 AM
    Interesting. An 'off the grid' person trying to invest money in one year bonds with various banks. It makes you wonder where the money came from in the first place if she has no bank account to receive her income and not even a savings account anywhere. Where was the money prior to this? Under the mattress?
    Also if she can't even get a bank to accept her money she is very unlikely to be able to get a credit card as you suggest.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 08-03-2018 at 5:54 AM.
    • RobAliLincs
    • By RobAliLincs 10th Mar 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobAliLincs
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:40 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:40 PM
    She is not off the grid, she has an active current account with one of the big banks. The money came from a previous investment. She has a regular amount transferred into her account from mine every month. She has a credit card of mine in her name.
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 10th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 10th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    She is pretty much off the grid then. The credit card is your account, so has nothing to do with her credit file.

One bank account (which may pre-date credit reference agencies and therefore not be shown) isn't much information.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,356Posts Today

7,669Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin