Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • letitbe90
    • By letitbe90 7th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 21Thanks
    letitbe90
    Negotiating rent on new builds - success stories?
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:41 PM
    Negotiating rent on new builds - success stories? 7th Mar 18 at 3:41 PM
    Hi all.

There is a new build which is due to complete in a couple of months time (it has been delayed before, so, for all we know, it may have further delays).

They have 2 bed properties ranging from £280-£323 a week. The one I am really interested in is a top floor one at £323 a week.

I've asked to see if they can offer it for £300 a week (my reasons were some of the ridiculous fee's as well as there being no guarantee of completion in a couple of months which adds personal expense) - do you think they may bite? Does anyone have experience with negotiating rent on new builds as a new tenant at all?

NB This is in London

Perhaps you advice I stay well clear of renting a new build even!

Thank you in advance for your replies.
Page 1
    • Amanda_Cm
    • By Amanda_Cm 7th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    Amanda_Cm
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:51 PM
    My friend is moving to new build 2 bedroom flat next week but is not in London. The rent was £600 a month and she managed to get it on £525 witch is perfect. The only down side is there is no central heating just electric heaters on the walls.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 7th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    elverson
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:57 PM
    If they're buy-to-let i.e. owned by individual "small" landlords then you've got a chance. We negotiated the rent down by £100/month on two flats in London. If the builder owns the whole block then it's less likely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

59Posts Today

2,177Users online

Martin's Twitter