Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 7th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    • 601Posts
    • 84Thanks
    Seagull27
    Does a house HAVE to be decorated before selling?
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:56 PM
    Does a house HAVE to be decorated before selling? 7th Mar 18 at 2:56 PM
    Hi all

I'm just curious really... I know it makes a lot of sense to decorate before selling, so that it is more attractive to viewers, etc. But what state of decoration does it HAVE to be in when sold? And are there any other things which must be done?

I'm still in the first house I ever bought, so the selling side of things is all new to me...

Cheers
Page 1
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    • 15,633 Posts
    • 43,376 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    No.

Personally - I'd be a bit suspicious about obviously brand new decor. That suspicion going along the lines of "Wonder if they're trying to hide damp?".

It would be a waste if it wasn't decorated my way too.
    WAY TO GO IRELAND! - WELCOME TO THE 21ST CENTURY

• p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 7th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    • 6,212 Posts
    • 6,667 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:00 PM
    Personally I'd say no, unless you have very 'in your face' tastes that might put people off (e.g. bright red paint, psychedelic wallpaper, lime green skirting boards).
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 7th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:20 PM
    OK, thanks for the quick replies. So there is no "requirement" as such then...

The house all white, so none of the kind of stuff you mention p00hsticks!

We do like to keep our house in good order... But as with most houses I guess, there might be areas behind furniture which are not in as good a decorating order as the rest of the house. Likewise, carpets are usually a different shade under the areas that are covered than they are elsewhere.

Do those kinds of things matter?

Ta
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 7th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 24,065 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:24 PM
    Is this a windup?
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 7th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Seagull27
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    No! Just someone that worries too much by the sounds of things!
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 7th Mar 18, 3:29 PM
    • 2,346 Posts
    • 2,316 Thanks
    Alter ego
    And are there any other things which must be done?
    Originally posted by Seagull27
    You must provide an energy performance certificate (EPC)
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 11,996 Posts
    • 75,081 Thanks
    kittie
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:31 PM
    no, white is good. Mine is all white but I am doing a deep clean ie all paintwork and skirtings. A dirty house would put me off but I would prefer to decorate
    • Lukman
    • By Lukman 7th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Lukman
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:40 PM
    pros and cons....

if i see a house that looks as new... i wonder if the seller has done that to say hide damp problems etc... or maybe they have actually spent good money and done a proper fix up.

equally though, if i see pictures of a property with patterned wallpaper, it's on my "no" list right away... patterns are a very personal choice... if you have patterned wall papers... seriously consider getting rid of them.... buyers might find the patterns off putting. if i see an advert with dirty white wall paper, i think, no problem, i can clean it up or paint over it or something.... if i see dark patterned wallpaper, i think, damn, i will have to take it down and then re-wallpaper or plaster / paint... whatever the process is and it puts me off.

i'd fill in any holes in the walls (i had one where a door handle would hit the wall)... fix up any light fittings etc... make the house look like a home ready to move into. small, but simple things.
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 7th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    dunroving
    You must provide an energy performance certificate (EPC)
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    And if you are in Scotland, you must provide a Home Report ("survey")

Re: decorating before selling, it can be very expensive to repaint a whole house, and the buyer may not want to incorporate that cost into their offer price (but the seller may feel they have to increase the asking price to reflect the redecorate). If a house looks clean, in good condition, but the decor is "old" (unfashionable, whatever), I think many buyers would rather get the house cheaper and do it up at their leisure, in their tastes.

I had my house completely replastered and repainted when I moved in 11 years ago. Some of the plastering has cracked slightly, and in two rooms it has "sheared" (?) - come away slightly from the underlying wall (but only in some places - maybe < 5% of the wall area, close to the ceiling). It happened within one year of the job being done and has not got worse. Because it looks bad and might put off some buyers, I have decided to get it repaired and the walls repainted. Still waiting on the quote but if it is too much, I may not bother.

Interested what people think - would it be better for buyers to see it, and incorporate it into the offer price? Or do it before viewing?
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • the_quick
    • By the_quick 7th Mar 18, 4:16 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    the_quick
    I'm just looking to buy and we don't even bother with houses that freshly redecorated, refitted kitchen or carpets etc. I like houses that are clean and tidy, if you have any minor issues, like some switching not working, or broken bulbs - small staff - fix it. We have viewer who checked all lights, including light above mirrors, check if light in the oven is working and thing like this.
    Don't replace any carpets, as a buyer I expect that I might have to do that when I move in - and I will be able to decide on colour and quality.
    Just clean it and keep it tidy for viewings and you will be fine
    • steph2901
    • By steph2901 7th Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    steph2901
    I didn't paint my last house when I sold it, I'd painted a couple of years before. I would just make sure the house is clean and tidy.
    • new_owner
    • By new_owner 7th Mar 18, 4:56 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    new_owner
    I did the opposite...

I did paint the house before selling. Mainly to make it more neutral. So I delayed the pictures being taken by two or three weeks until I was happy the house was ready.

Sold in two weeks. So did not seem to put anyone off.

It also allowed me to pay attention to all the odd-jobs I never got around to in each room.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 10,448 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Is this a windup?
    Originally posted by Slinky
    Anyone remember the poster who complained about the dents in the carpet caused by previous furniture when they moved in?

OP, it is in fact the law that you need to get professional decorators in and then have the house inspected and vetted to ensure said decoration is up to modern standards and styles. Flock wallpaper, and chandeliers in any room with less than 12ft tall ceilings, are now punishable offences.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 7th Mar 18, 5:35 PM
    • 10,530 Posts
    • 13,703 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Take a look on rightmove at the properties up for sale - or go view a few. You'll soon see it's a big fat no
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Seagull27
    • By Seagull27 7th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Seagull27
    Fair play... I can see I was overthinking this one a bit. I'd like to say that I was drunk/on drugs when I started the post, but alas not! Just hadn't clicked my brain into gear.

It's funny, I have actually had the vacuum cleaner on one carpet spot for the last two hours trying to suck up an indent from the sofa leg. I guess I'm safe to take it off now. I just wonder what the buyer will think when there are only three indents? That'll get them sratching their heads!
    • charb56
    • By charb56 7th Mar 18, 6:19 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    charb56
    if you put a damp towel over it, then use the steam function on your iron it will bring the pile up beautifully
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 7th Mar 18, 6:33 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    Hi all

I'm just curious really... I know it makes a lot of sense to decorate before selling, so that it is more attractive to viewers, etc. But what state of decoration does it HAVE to be in when sold? And are there any other things which must be done?

I'm still in the first house I ever bought, so the selling side of things is all new to me...

Cheers
    Originally posted by Seagull27

Well im glad you asked...same boat,bought our place in 2006 and still here.

Looking at either remortgage or maybe move and i assumed redecorate top to bottom....so yes thanks for asking as it has surprised me what the more seasoned buyers/sellers have said.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 7th Mar 18, 6:44 PM
    • 3,037 Posts
    • 6,101 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Anyone remember the poster who complained about the dents in the carpet caused by previous furniture when they moved in?

OP, it is in fact the law that you need to get professional decorators in and then have the house inspected and vetted to ensure said decoration is up to modern standards and styles. Flock wallpaper, and chandeliers in any room with less than 12ft tall ceilings, are now punishable offences.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    As is failing to deploy anti-gravity pads under all furniture to prevent the heinous indentations its feet cause. Disgraceful!
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Plus
    • By Plus 8th Mar 18, 1:02 AM
    • 356 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    Plus
    No, but think about who your target market might be. For instance a BTL landlord who wants to move in a tenant ASAP, or a retiree who doesn't want to worry about getting decorators in. Those people might consider a freshly decorated place a bonus. Others might consider it a waste because they're going to change the colour/rewire and replaster/knock walls down/whatever, so it doesn't matter to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,152Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin