Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 7th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 1,295Posts
    • 1,605Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    My shower only gets warm not hot
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    My shower only gets warm not hot 7th Mar 18 at 2:30 PM
    I need some advice. I have a combi boiler and a mixer shower. Unfortunately my shower won't get hot, it only goes from cold to warm. It used to work fine. The taps still get hot.

My shower is like this: https://www.diy.com/departments/triton-benito-rear-fed-chrome-effect-thermostatic-bar-mixer-shower/1516886_BQ.prd

I think I need to take the shower to bits to see if there is something faulty in there, maybe a valve or something. But can anyone help me with what exactly I'll be looking for? What do valves look like? What part is the cartridge? Which part of the shower should I be looking in? And do I need to turn the water off at the mains first?
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 7th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 33,050 Posts
    • 38,619 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:38 PM
    The cartridge is the tap part , there's a valve to regulate temperature.

Is the water pressure good ?

https://youtu.be/eo2d1Tfp018
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 7th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:41 PM
    One thought occurs to me. If you've got a combi boiler, it's possible that it's just to do with the outside temperature. A combi boiler works by taking in a cold water feed and heating it up "on the fly". There is a maximum amount of heat it can give out. Let's say, using purely hypothetical figures, that it can raise the temperature of the water by 40 degrees at full flow. In summer, if the incoming water is already at 15 degrees then the water coming out will be at 55 degrees. In the current weather, if the incoming water is at 2 degrees then the output will be at 42 degrees.

Does the water get hotter if you reduce the flow rate ?
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 7th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:23 PM
    I did think it could be that, so I've already tested it and no it doesn't heat up if I reduce the flow rate. It also still did it today even though the temperature has picked up considerably compared to a few days ago.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • big mortgage
    • By big mortgage 7th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    big mortgage
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    What is the temperature of the water from the other hot taps? If they are also only warm, it might well be the thermostatic valve is leaking cold through and needs replacing
    • bris
    • By bris 7th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    bris
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 8:13 PM
    The cartridge in the shower may be faulty. If the taps are getting hot then that's the most likely cause.
    • Will2208
    • By Will2208 8th Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Will2208
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    • 8th Mar 18, 11:45 AM
    In my job I regularly deal with problems with showers and usually a new thermostatic cartridge will resolve a water temperature problem. I would contact B & Q customer service and they should be able to source one for you.
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    I tried to get into the bar to get at the cartridge but I was unable to - it doesn't look like it comes apart. Just gonna get a new one, it's been there since before I moved in so it's not too bad!
    • Rexxel
    • By Rexxel 9th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Rexxel
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 9th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    Hiya,

I recently had the same issue with our new shower.

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/burlington-avon-thermostatic-two-outlet-exposed-shower-valve-rigid-riser-kit-with-fixed-head

We had to get a new boiler anyway and expected that to solve the issue as at first it went warm and cold throughout. The new boiler stopped the fluctuation but the shower still wasn't hot, just warm.

We had to unscrew the valve bit and change the max temperature. I think there's a certain temperature that the manufacturers have to advise as the safe max temp but it can be increased.

It might say something similar in your manual?
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 9th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 1,295 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    I figured it out - turns out the shower was made by "Big Shaq".

Will definitely have to buy a new one!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin