Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gcdona
    • By gcdona 7th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    gcdona
    Scottish Power Complaint
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:19 PM
    Scottish Power Complaint 7th Mar 18 at 2:19 PM
    Hi

Newb poster so apologies in advance for any breach of etiquette but I could really do with some help/advice re a complaint I have going through with Scottish Power just now after trying to change provider - I'm not sure if I have a leg to stand on but the whole process seems completely rigged and has left me in a bit of a mess with finances. Read below my version of events. Disclaimer - I had just been hit with a massive bill and was not as calm as I could have been when writing this so apologies for the tone and long-winder rant.

Dear K***

Thank you for your email, there is no letter attached so please send this on.

ď5. I explained I would rather continue to engage on your complaint with you directly in order to reach a mutually agreeable resolution; but you declined this and again requested me to deadlock your complaint, which I then agreedĒ

This isnít true, you made absolutely no attempt to try and resolve my complaint and your tone throughout our call was nothing but argumentative. If you can provide a transcript of our call you will read that you tried to offload me to your colleague to go over the same points we had already discussed, which I stated there was no benefit to.

You have also failed to note that I am not only unhappy with the sum I have since been charged after deciding to leave Scottish Power but the misrepresentation of your renewal offer. I have been sent a final balance of £233.52, after having a credit of £178.53 on 28/12/17 according to your website. I provided meter readings mid-January as I have done regularly and was quoted with a new monthly renewal price of approx. £128. Firstly, I have absolutely no idea how my credit in December has resulted in a debit of £233.52 in a matter of 1.5 months, a swing of £412.05, and thatís with me paying £93 in January?! I realise during winter months heating is used more often but even if you review my readings from last year they are not even close.

Secondly, if I had incurred a debit of £233.52 (which I donít believe I had), why would my renewal premium be quoted at £128? According to you on our call these figures are calculated quarterly so there is absolutely no possibility of me clearing this debt in that time, it would take at least 8 months for proposed renewal when balanced with what I was already paying monthly.

This whole process is barrier after barrier to prevent me from moving to another energy provider. I am a parent of 2 kids, this is my first house and I have lived here since January 2016, I am not an expert on how energy companies work. I have never missed a monthly payment and I have provided regular meter readings. At renewal I was quoted a premium with an increase of £35 so I looked at alternatives and picked the best value. I have paid my premium for February with my new provider (£117) and then get hit with a bill for £233. I honestly donít know what I could have done to avoid this situation Ė either, this bill is incorrect and I have been overcharged or my premium should have been higher previously so I wasnít left with a substantial bill to move company.

The service Iíve received since has justified my reason to move provider. When I made my complaint in the first instance, I explained clearly that I was unable to afford to pay £233 as one payment when I was already paying a new provider this month Ė I explained I was in financial detriment and the lady I spoke with said I had to get a resolution to my complaint in the first instance, I disagreed but was told I would get a call the following Saturday morning from your complaints team. I was instead called on the Friday evening and I missed the call, I was left a message with no telephone number to call back on. I called on the Saturday and spoke with another handler that couldnít put me to the complaints team so a manager agreed to arrange for a callback on the Monday, I didnít get a call. Instead I was called on the Tuesday when I was at work and was left a message to say I needed to call the standard customer service line to set up a payment plan with total disregard to my complaint. I called and finally spoke with you and again explained that I was unable to make this payment as a lump sum and that I disagreed with the amount, you used this as a bargaining chip for resolving the complaint. Again, if there is a call transcript it will clearly show that you were using my financial disposition to try and resolve your complaint.

There is an opportunity for you to try and resolve this before I take my complaint to the ombudsman but I will need to put a payment plan in place because I am unable to afford to pay this as one lump sum. However, there should be no reason why I canít dispute the payment in the meantime and it certainly does not mean that I agree this complaint is resolved.

I look forward to receiving your response but more importantly the payment plan in the meantime.

Kind regards

I have still not received a payment plan despite chasing this since my email was sent on 1/3/18 - the lump sum was due to be collected on 5/3/18 so I had to cancel my Direct Debit. We are applying for a remortgage later this year so I am a bit concerned this will affect our credit rating. The whole thing is a total mess and to be honest if I'd known I would end up in this position I wouldn't have changed provider at all.

I'll post up my billing history so you have an idea how they seem to have got the figures they have.

As mentioned earlier, any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

BR
Page 1
    • gcdona
    • By gcdona 7th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gcdona
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:12 PM
    I can't attach a picture for some reason so details below -

28/9/17 - £93 (Credit) - Balance of £202.11 in Credit
    30/10/17 - £93 (Credit) - Balance of £295.11 in Credit
    30/10/17 - Bill £226.30 - Balance of £68.81 on Credit
    6/11/17 - Bill £76.28 - Balance of £7.47 in Debit
    28/11/17 - £93 (Credit) - Balance of £85.53 in Credit
    28/12/17 - £93 (Credit) - Balance of £178.53 in Credit
    16/1/17 - Bill £388.78 - Balance of £210.25 in Debit
    29/1/18 - £93 (Credit) - Balance of £117.25 in Debit
    19/2/18 - Bill £37.07 - Balance of £154.32 in Debit
    19/2/18 - Bill £79.20 - Balance of £233.52 in Debit
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 7th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 6,379 Posts
    • 4,797 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    - You have a CAC [calculated annual consumption] of say £800ų12=£66.66pm
    - so pay £68pm and you will always be in credit and not overpaid
    - put your own meter readings in every 6 weeks and avoid guesstimates

Your own figures show the expected credit in summer and debit in winter but with a huge swing. I'm with SP and my swing is about £80Ī either way, this I suspect is down to a diligent supply of my own regular meter reads. At this time of the year I'm literally in credit by no more than a couple of pounds but that's enough to stop the SP accounting BOT making guesses.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - !!!8476;
    • gcdona
    • By gcdona 12th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gcdona
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:10 PM
    Thanks for you help but I am paying £93 monthly and although not monthly, I have provided regular meter readings so for SP to send me a bill of £233 when leaving them seems completely unreasonable. I can only think that I should have been paying a higher premium previously to balance this but it's not me that controls how much I pay.. I have got absolutely nowhere trying to discuss this with them so I will have to take it to the ombudsman and see how I get on there
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 12th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 10,435 Posts
    • 4,390 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 4:43 PM
    Are you saying that if the DD is set to low or you use a lot more than the estimate it should be free ??
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 5:46 PM
    If you've been sending in regular readings have you been checking your bills/statements to make sure that they are using those readings and that your £93 a month has been covering your consumption. Looking at your info it appears that it hasn't, although had you stayed with them until around September this year then it might have.

Most people use around 65% of their energy between November and March and 35% during the rest of the year so you need to have a credit of at least two months payments (in your case £200) in October to carry you through the winter.

As you were in debit at the beginning of November then your arrears would only get worse through the winter until late spring and summer when hopefully they should start to reduce.

You decided to swap suppliers whilst you had arrears - you really need to understand how direct debits work and how your consumption profile changes throughout the year.

The optimum time to start a 12 month contract is around May as you should be in credit before winter. If you start one in October then you'll probably go straight into arrears but you do need to check that you are on target to balance out at the end of 12 months and to get your DD adjusted if it doesn't look like it will.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • gcdona
    • By gcdona 12th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gcdona
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:45 PM
    Are you saying that if the DD is set to low or you use a lot more than the estimate it should be free ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Not at all but at the same time SP should be responsible for balancing the account so I am not in arrears and therefore unable to move provider without a massive debt. I don't control how much is paid for my Gas & Electricity, I provide meter readings and expect that I am billed accordingly.. this isn't a £20 - £50 out.. £233!
    • gcdona
    • By gcdona 12th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gcdona
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    • 12th Mar 18, 9:51 PM
    If you've been sending in regular readings have you been checking your bills/statements to make sure that they are using those readings and that your £93 a month has been covering your consumption. Looking at your info it appears that it hasn't, although had you stayed with them until around September this year then it might have.

Most people use around 65% of their energy between November and March and 35% during the rest of the year so you need to have a credit of at least two months payments (in your case £200) in October to carry you through the winter.

As you were in debit at the beginning of November then your arrears would only get worse through the winter until late spring and summer when hopefully they should start to reduce.

You decided to swap suppliers whilst you had arrears - you really need to understand how direct debits work and how your consumption profile changes throughout the year.

The optimum time to start a 12 month contract is around May as you should be in credit before winter. If you start one in October then you'll probably go straight into arrears but you do need to check that you are on target to balance out at the end of 12 months and to get your DD adjusted if it doesn't look like it will.
    Originally posted by matelodave
    I take your point but I moved house in January so had no other option but to start my fixed term contract with SP at that time. When it ended my choices were renewing or looking elsewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

73Posts Today

2,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin