Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • regional
    • By regional 7th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 6Thanks
    regional
    EPC rating for Landlords renting out a property
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    EPC rating for Landlords renting out a property 7th Mar 18 at 2:15 PM
    Good afternoon,

We have a property that we rented out in Jan 2015 which has an EPC rating of F and we have the same tenants in situ and the property is managed through an Estate Agent.
    A new boiler is being fitted next week and LED lighting fitted as part of general upkeep/maintenance.
    My question is as these are existing tenants do we have to get a new EPC Rating demonstrating that the EPC rating is now an E rating or do we have until April 2020 to do this ?
    I have read so much information of the new regulation coming into force in April 2018 but it seems rather confusing and some sites are rather vague as to what is actually required.
    Hopefully someone can advise and point us in the right direction.
    As a note of reference our tenants are on a tenancy agreement that requires them to give a 3 month notice should they wish to leave, all of which is handled by the Estate Agent.
    Many thanks in anticipation.
Page 1
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 7th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:22 PM
    As I understand it, the rule is April 2018 for NEW TENANCIES - So if you already have tenants in place then you have until April 2020 to comply. According to my letting agents, if you renew an existing tenancy, then it counts as a new one too.

Personally, i'm arranging an EPC to be done now. The last one (which has just expired) had a rating of E so want to get one done just to make sure all is still compliant. Whilst it may not be required until 2020 with your existing tenants insitu, if they give their 3months notice tomorrow, then you're up against it to get any remedial work done and new certificate issued before re-marketing the property.
    Last edited by Mahsroh; 07-03-2018 at 2:27 PM.
    • regional
    • By regional 7th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    regional
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:35 PM
    Hi, thank you for taking the time out to reply.
    It was my understanding that existing tenants allows a landlord to have until April 2020 to get a new EPC rating.
    We are undertaking a new boiler and LED lighting now to bring the property up to an EPC rating of E and my only reluctance in getting a new report done is that is it extremely difficult to get the TENANTS to stay in to let an assessor in .
    It has taken over a month to get them to agree to be in to get a new boiler fitted which is surprising as they will be the only ones to benefit as the current boiler is very inefficient.
    So that was my concern, if we at least have until April 2020 we have sometime to arrange.
    Many thanks again
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 7th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:47 PM
    A tenant does not need to be present when an assessment is done,neither do they need to be there when repairs or replacements fitted.

Gong forward you should arrange times that are convenient to the tenant if possible but it shouldn't stop you getting work or indeed things like a CP12 organised.

Your agent presumably holds a key and can arrange to allow access to trades.
    in S 31 T 21 F 42
    out S 42 T 25 F 32
    2017 -32
    • Simonr66
    • By Simonr66 7th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Simonr66
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:09 PM
    If the tenancy is renewed or goes to a statutory periodic tenancy after 1st April it must also comply with the new legislation however if it becomes a contractual periodic then the existing EPC is valid till 2020.
    • Mahsroh
    • By Mahsroh 7th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Mahsroh
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:11 PM
    If the tenancy is renewed or goes to a statutory periodic tenancy after 1st April it must also comply with the new legislation however if it becomes a contractual periodic then the existing EPC is valid till 2020.
    Originally posted by Simonr66
    Yeah that's what I tried to say in my post above - you explained it much better though!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,709Posts Today

6,006Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin