Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 7th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 3,681Posts
    • 5,525Thanks
    bouicca21
    The right kind of hook
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    The right kind of hook 7th Mar 18 at 1:23 PM
    Over on the house selling board there is a post that makes me realise I should have a fire blanket in my kitchen. The logical place to hang one so it is both accessible and not too intrusive is on the side of a kitchen unit (Howdens). I have loads of drywall hooks but presumably the unit is melamine and needs something different.

Or should I just hang it on the back of the kitchen door?
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 7th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 4,127 Posts
    • 3,569 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    If it's a standard kitchen cabinet, it'll just be chipboard with a veneer facing. A couple of standard wood screws will do the trick ( if it's the same design as mine, whereby there are a couple of slotted holes on the back of the plastic container to slide onto screw heads ).

Just check very carefully the length of the screws - you don't want them going right through the wood and protruding into the inside of the cabinet.

I'm assuming here that you're getting a standard fire blanket that comes in a kind of plastic box with tapes sticking out of the bottom to pull it out in an emergency ?
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 07-03-2018 at 2:25 PM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 7th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 29,367 Posts
    • 74,978 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    Over on the house selling board there is a post that makes me realise I should have a fire blanket in my kitchen. The logical place to hang one so it is both accessible and not too intrusive is on the side of a kitchen unit (Howdens).
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    This might sound like an obvious comment but don't hang it where it would be difficult to reach in the event of a fire - we've been to several holiday cottages where the fire blanket was on the wall behind or on the cupboards just above the hob. If there was a fire, you'd have to reach through the flames to get at the blanket.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 7th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    why not just a 3M stick on hook?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 7th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 62,786 Posts
    • 367,894 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    There are lots of places you could stick it .... it also depends who the blanket is for .... and whether you want it to be visible, or hidden.

There is no "one size fits all" solutions without photos of your kitchen for suggestions.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 7th Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 9:48 PM
    why not just a 3M stick on hook?
    Originally posted by ashe
    My worry is that if there's a fire, you'd grab hold of the tapes dangling out of the box, give them a good yank, and find yourself holding a plastic box with a fire blanket still inside.
    Last edited by Ectophile; 07-03-2018 at 9:48 PM. Reason: typo
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 7th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    ashe
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 11:38 PM
    My worry is that if there's a fire, you'd grab hold of the tapes dangling out of the box, give them a good yank, and find yourself holding a plastic box with a fire blanket still inside.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    We have 3M hooks around the house; I can assure you when you want to remove one they are a !!!!!! to do so

GoPro cameras are often stuck to vehicles or items using 3M pads. If it’s good enough to keep a £400 camera on at high speed / gravity, it should be fine for a fire blanket
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

59Posts Today

2,177Users online

Martin's Twitter