Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 7th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    • 4,446Posts
    • 3,982Thanks
    dekaspace
    Treating/stopping jeans from fading!
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:54 PM
    Treating/stopping jeans from fading! 7th Mar 18 at 12:54 PM
    Ok so I got a new pair of jeans about December, in total they have been on full wash maybe 3 times and never at full heat i.e I put on synthetic wash, and other times just hand wash and put it on a rinse cycle.

No matter what though the dye just pours off them, anything even my dark t shirts are soaked with the dye.

Washed them last night along with a towel, and 2 shirts and a few pairs of underwear, and now they look faded!

I use a Fairy tab and a small amount of vinegar to wash them.

What can I do to stop them fading so fast?

Not sure if its my machine either, had it 4 years and it was only 2 years ago that clothes seem to fade, had a 2 year pair of jeans then that never faded then within a few washes faded, as did a dark t shirt so assumed at the time it was as I was using strong washing powder so changed to liquid.
Page 1
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 7th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,821 Thanks
    Siebrie
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:05 PM
    I am not sure you can do anything anymore, sorry.

For your next pair of new jeans, before wearing them, soak them in cold vinegar and water. Rinse in cold water, wash as little as possible and in cold or lukewarm water only.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 549.29 = 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 7th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 36,749 Posts
    • 473,038 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:15 PM
    buy darker jeans and wash them a few times as hot as possible with a cup of salt/dye fixer before wearing.. the hotter the wash the more dye leeches out making them less prone to colour run later on.. they are cotton so not dye fast for quite a while and general wear and exposure to sunlight does fade them.. this is what gives them their character.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 53528.71 (2.41% int.)
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 7th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 2:30 PM
    Salt is supposed to fix dye, but it's a bit late now! It's easy to re dye jeans in your washing machine, choose a colour you like and follow the instructions on the packet. Some of my jeans are decades old, I keep changing the colour and then they are like new.... you just have to choose a darker colour, e.g. pale blue to traditional to dark blue to black.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 7th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 2,153 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:18 PM
    Dylon do a 'jeans blue' dye if you want to refresh them. Some say that you shouldn't wash jeans at all but I'm not sure I'd want to go down that route myself!
    • wort
    • By wort 7th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    • 778 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    wort
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 3:42 PM
    I suppose you're washing them inside out? Cool 30 wash but as others said better to try fix dye when first bought.
    Could be the brand, some are worse than others for running.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    • 18,004 Posts
    • 107,724 Thanks
    maman
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 4:17 PM
    I think it's worth the money to buy a dark wash, washing liquid. I use it for all dark washes especially those with jeans.

I got fed up with buying black jeans only to find they'd fade after a couple of washes and looked scruffy.

I started using a Waitrose own brand (on offer) but a poster on here told me about Woolite which is 2 in Poundland at the moment..

I've also got a pair of Asda Stay Black jeans and they're great but I can't tell whether that's because of the jeans or the washing liquid!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 8th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 4,446 Posts
    • 3,982 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    Apologises for late response forgot I wrote the question and had a nightmare day yerterday.

Yes these are black jeans, they don't look as bad as I thought but the labels on inside are awkward.

When I cold wash them or the times I put them in main wash the clothes that go in with them have a purple tint.

Sadly I used to have 2 amazing pairs of jeans that never faded and were the most comfy ones I ever wore, except in both cases the button popped off within a few months and the zipper went in both!

Thanks for help, on a similar note I have a navy blue bedsheet whenever I put that in wash it destroys the washing too, had the white matress protector in with it last time and thats gone half blue half purple!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    • 8th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    dekaspace I own a lot of black jeans many of which are 8-10 years old .I use a cold wash and apart from black socks don't add any other items .
    I wash inside out don't use detergent as they don't really get dirty just need freshening up .
    I haven't read through the replies so far but it is important to smooth them carefully after washing and before hanging to dry and no artificial heat as marking and other dye problems seem to happen around seams and creases .
    My jeans are 97% or 100% cotton and seem to hold the dye well unlike lower cotton content .
    polly
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 8th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 2,165 Posts
    • 20,044 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    I missed the bit about the bed sheet . Navy , Red and other dark colours need a wash solely for such colours . The mattress protector needed to be in with lighter washing . Get into the habit of sorting carefully into groups for each wash .
    Jean buttons can be easily replaced you can but a suitable tool online or some drycleaners and alteration shops will do it for you and replace a zip . Worth it for good quality jeans as it's becoming difficult to find them nowadays .
    Sorry fot the typo .
    polly
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 8th Mar 18, 4:32 PM
    • 4,446 Posts
    • 3,982 Thanks
    dekaspace
    The jeans were like 30 each (the good ones) but the buttons were the pop on type not the sewn in type, when I enquired about replacement zips the going rate was 15-20!

I generally tend to do one wash a wash as im a single person, even then im likely to just put in 1 pair of jeans, 2/3 t shirts and a weeks worth of underwear and do the sheets/towels when needed hence not wanting to do a whole wash just for a pair of jeans or a dark bedsheet!

Thanks for help, well my normal go to is these days chuck the jeans in lukewarm water and stir them then put in rinse cycle, I dont think it gets them a deep clean though and they don't smell fresh.
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 8th Mar 18, 5:08 PM
    • 3,393 Posts
    • 20,734 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Well, a zip is easily replaced, as is the button. Both much
    easier than looking for a new pair in the shops and chucking the first lot into landfil! If you are getting someone else to replace the zip, make sure it's a good quality one. I do alterations and repairs for a living and these are both very common repairs. People do 'get attached' to their favourite jeans and like to have all manner of repairs done to keep them in circulation.

Apologises for late response forgot I wrote the question and had a nightmare day yerterday.

Yes these are black jeans, they don't look as bad as I thought but the labels on inside are awkward.

When I cold wash them or the times I put them in main wash the clothes that go in with them have a purple tint.

Sadly I used to have 2 amazing pairs of jeans that never faded and were the most comfy ones I ever wore, except in both cases the button popped off within a few months and the zipper went in both!

Thanks for help, on a similar note I have a navy blue bedsheet whenever I put that in wash it destroys the washing too, had the white matress protector in with it last time and thats gone half blue half purple!
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 8th Mar 18, 5:10 PM
    • 11,113 Posts
    • 29,671 Thanks
    suki1964
    When I was single I still split my washing, never washing jeans with anything other then jeans or other dark clothes like socks

Not separating your wash you are as you have found, risking colour run which then makes all your clothes look dingy

My step daughter does mixed washes, it frustrates the life out of me when lovely clothes I have bought the grandkids look dingy within a week

I just turn jeans inside out and give them a 40 wash. Husband work jeans will often get a 60 wash
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,637Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin