Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlie71
    • By charlie71 7th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 7Thanks
    charlie71
    Petrol Station- No card payment facility
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    Petrol Station- No card payment facility 7th Mar 18 at 12:30 PM
    Hi all-

Today I went into a (JET) petrol station I do not drive past very often (it’s out of my usual way) and filled up with fuel - £60.

Went in to pay – and they said they had trouble with their card reader (it looked as if the fault has just happened) –

They asked me to write down my card number/expiry date/ 3 reverse digits and they would process it later – I was not comfortable doing this – So refused.

I offered them all the cash I had in my wallet- £10. It is in a rural location and there is no cash machine nearby.

They asked for my name and phone number – which I didn’t give them as I did not want them to have my details – They have a security camera with my face and my car registration and I explained this to them. I also wrote down my registration plate for them

I told them I’d be back on Friday to make the payment (a detour for me) – and the guy seemed ‘reasonably’ happy – but of course he can’t know for sure I’d return

I owe them £50. For the avoidance of ANY doubt – I shall be making a detour on Friday to pay them.

Should I have given them my details? Did I have an obligation to?

They were also not stopping anyone else filling up, and there was a lady happily fueling her car – I told her on my way out – She had no cash either. Seemed pretty irresponsible to me -

Charlie.
Page 2
    • missile
    • By missile 7th Mar 18, 11:02 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    No they would not

The card details would be displayed something like 4125 XXXX XXXX 6745

It is not possible from just a receipt to charge as much money as you wished to the OPs card. If the OP wrote down his card details and 3 digit security code they can charge the OP whatever they like.
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    As with any purchase made online or over the phone
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 8th Mar 18, 12:49 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    What they should have done is to drag out the old card imprint machine from the back of whatever drawer it was lurking in, find the carbon paper forms that go with it, and used that instead.

But I suspect that the staff may not have known anything about such machines, particularly if they are not of a certain age.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Just reading through the thread, but that was my thoughts too. |
    It's what my local garage do if the systems down.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Mar 18, 1:43 PM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 7,144 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    A lot of very trusting people on this thread! I somehow doubt they would actually give a random petrol station employee carte blanche with their bank account!
    • Les79
    • By Les79 8th Mar 18, 2:59 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Les79
    A lot of very trusting people on this thread! I somehow doubt they would actually give a random petrol station employee carte blanche with their bank account!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Potentially not, but I would give them my name and telephone number if I don't have the means to pay.

That being said, I've paid over the phone in the past (full long number, CVV, expiry date) and nothing has ever happened; most people who ask you for your card details in legitimate circumstances like this don't actually want to steal money from you. They just don't want the till to be £60 down. And those that do steal will tend to do it more on the sly, maybe by using modified card machines to clone a card or write it down/memorise it on the sly.

Not going to knock OP for not leaving card details, and going to applaud them for making the journey back to the place in good time, but the name/tel aspect of their post was a bit unfair.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 8th Mar 18, 3:30 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    JReacher1
    Potentially not, but I would give them my name and telephone number if I don't have the means to pay.

That being said, I've paid over the phone in the past (full long number, CVV, expiry date) and nothing has ever happened; most people who ask you for your card details in legitimate circumstances like this don't actually want to steal money from you. They just don't want the till to be £60 down. And those that do steal will tend to do it more on the sly, maybe by using modified card machines to clone a card or write it down/memorise it on the sly.

Not going to knock OP for not leaving card details, and going to applaud them for making the journey back to the place in good time, but the name/tel aspect of their post was a bit unfair.
    Originally posted by Les79
    The slight difference is that when you phone up someone and pay over the phone they type the number in there and then into a machine (I accept you can't prove they do this), so unless the person is fundamentally dishonest he is not keeping a record of the details and just entering them into a machine.

For the OP's scenario I fully believe that the cash assistant was perfectly honest and would have entered the written down card details into the machine and charged £50 to the OP. The concern is that he may not destroy the written number securely so potentially a piece of paper with these card details could be anywhere and get into anyone's hands. It is for this reason that I would never have my card details stored insecurely like this.

I agree that the OP should have given his phone number though as that was just a bit weird.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 8th Mar 18, 5:17 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Les79
    The slight difference is that when you phone up someone and pay over the phone they type the number in there and then into a machine (I accept you can't prove they do this), so unless the person is fundamentally dishonest he is not keeping a record of the details and just entering them into a machine.
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    Yes true. I think there are lot of intricacies to this. Ultimately, if they want to steal from you they are going to steal from you whether over phone or via this sort of example.

For the OP's scenario I fully believe that the cash assistant was perfectly honest and would have entered the written down card details into the machine and charged £50 to the OP.
    Yep, me too. Seems too open and upfront about it to be a thief. But you never know in fairness.

The concern is that he may not destroy the written number securely so potentially a piece of paper with these card details could be anywhere and get into anyone's hands. It is for this reason that I would never have my card details stored insecurely like this.

I agree that the OP should have given his phone number though as that was just a bit weird.

Aye, 100% agree.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 9th Mar 18, 2:39 PM
    • 2,382 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    Nilrem
    What they should have done is to drag out the old card imprint machine from the back of whatever drawer it was lurking in, find the carbon paper forms that go with it, and used that instead.

But I suspect that the staff may not have known anything about such machines, particularly if they are not of a certain age.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    I was in a newly opened shop a year or so back when their card terminal went down after I'd had an eye test and the slightly older assistant headed out the back, had a rummage around and bought out a brand new one and took the opportunity to demonstrate it to the 20 something assistant.

I would not be happy giving my card number with CVV to someone in a store, as the CVV is not meant to be taken for in store purchases and from memory most card processors specifically state it should not be kept by the retailer in a format that can be read, and should be stored separately to the main number specifically because keeping it next to the 16 digit number completely defeats it's purpose (which was to help prevent phone fraud using card numbers taken from in store purchases/records).

I'm also generally distrustful of petrol stations, as they're often some of the worst places for card fraud due to the frequently high staff turnover and lone staffing.
    At one point or another I think all the petrol stations in my town have been associated with major card fraud due to criminals getting a job there, and then copying card numbers/cloning the cards, the only two that seemed to avoid it were the supermarket ones, and I think that's because staff get moved over to the petrol station after a while in the main store.

I think in the op's case I would probably have either offered to leave something of value with the station along my name/address (letting them confirm it against my drivers licence), and landline number, and got a receipt for the item, then went to the nearest cash point, or if possible rang a friend/family member to bring some cash.

IIRC our local morrisons will take your details/check against any ID you have (and if you are a morrisons more user that helps) and give you 24 hours to come back with payment if it's down to something like the card machine not working, although usually the cash points at the main store will still work as they're on a completely different system so it's just a couple of minutes leaving the car at the pump.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,632Posts Today

7,564Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin