Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlie71
    • By charlie71 7th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 7Thanks
    charlie71
    Petrol Station- No card payment facility
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    Petrol Station- No card payment facility 7th Mar 18 at 12:30 PM
    Hi all-

Today I went into a (JET) petrol station I do not drive past very often (it’s out of my usual way) and filled up with fuel - £60.

Went in to pay – and they said they had trouble with their card reader (it looked as if the fault has just happened) –

They asked me to write down my card number/expiry date/ 3 reverse digits and they would process it later – I was not comfortable doing this – So refused.

I offered them all the cash I had in my wallet- £10. It is in a rural location and there is no cash machine nearby.

They asked for my name and phone number – which I didn’t give them as I did not want them to have my details – They have a security camera with my face and my car registration and I explained this to them. I also wrote down my registration plate for them

I told them I’d be back on Friday to make the payment (a detour for me) – and the guy seemed ‘reasonably’ happy – but of course he can’t know for sure I’d return

I owe them £50. For the avoidance of ANY doubt – I shall be making a detour on Friday to pay them.

Should I have given them my details? Did I have an obligation to?

They were also not stopping anyone else filling up, and there was a lady happily fueling her car – I told her on my way out – She had no cash either. Seemed pretty irresponsible to me -

Charlie.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:44 PM
    They were also not stopping anyone else filling up, and there was a lady happily fueling her car – I told her on my way out – She had no cash either. Seemed pretty irresponsible to me -

Charlie.
    Originally posted by charlie71
    If that fault had just happened, how was it irresponsible to let the lady fill her car? The cashier was dealing with you when the issue occurred!

If they then didn't make some signs and put them up at the pumps, and left it with the fault for the rest of the shift, THEN it would be irresponsible.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 5,620 Posts
    • 11,780 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:52 PM
    I understand the card details, but Not giving your name and telephone number seems pretty prissy to me. Them ringing you to complete the payment would have solved the issue.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 7th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    If that had been me I wouldn't have wanted to make that person's shift any more difficult and would happily have given my name and telephone number, plus shown her proof of who I was if I had it. Why be so awkward? Yes, they had your reg number - how do they know it's your car and it wasn't stolen? Yes, they had your face - if you had lived the other side of the country how would they have found you.

Hope they didn't have too many more customers like you.
    • charlie71
    • By charlie71 7th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    charlie71
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    Marlie - maybe you are right - I could have/should have given them my details - I was just annoyed as they wanted to me to leave my card numbers with them.

Doam - Yep - I could have written that better - The cashier had to stop dealing with me to authorise the pump that the other lady was about to use- Hence I think it was irresponsible.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 7th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 9,151 Posts
    • 13,287 Thanks
    meer53
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:32 PM
    OP, do you shop online ? If you do, i assume you are happy for an online retailer to have your card details ? No difference, i can't see what your issue is.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 7th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 7,082 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    Marlie - maybe you are right - I could have/should have given them my details - I was just annoyed as they wanted to me to leave my card numbers with them.

Doam - Yep - I could have written that better - The cashier had to stop dealing with me to authorise the pump that the other lady was about to use- Hence I think it was irresponsible.
    Originally posted by charlie71
    Just out of interest do you shop online? Or perhaps order a takeaway & pay by card over the phone?
    Hiraeth
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 7th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 3,797 Thanks
    JReacher1
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:45 PM
    OP, do you shop online ? If you do, i assume you are happy for an online retailer to have your card details ? No difference, i can't see what your issue is.
    Originally posted by meer53
    It is a massive difference......

When you pay online the details are encrypted and stored securely by the retailer. The card details are not stored on a piece of paper in someone's desk....
    • boliston
    • By boliston 7th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 2,160 Thanks
    boliston
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    • 7th Mar 18, 1:50 PM
    the garage would be in a lot of trouble if they were found to be storing card details in an unencrypted form and could have their merchant account revoked
    • missile
    • By missile 7th Mar 18, 5:52 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    I don't understand your problem? Why did you refuse to provide card details. If you had paid by card they would have your card details on the receipt.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 7th Mar 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 3,797 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I don't understand your problem? Why did you refuse to provide card details. If you had paid by card they would have your card details on the receipt.
    Originally posted by missile
    No they would not

The card details would be displayed something like 4125 XXXX XXXX 6745

It is not possible from just a receipt to charge as much money as you wished to the OPs card. If the OP wrote down his card details and 3 digit security code they can charge the OP whatever they like.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 7th Mar 18, 7:46 PM
    • 12,301 Posts
    • 16,565 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    No they would not

It is not possible from just a receipt to charge as much money as you wished to the OPs card. If the OP wrote down his card details and 3 digit security code they can charge the OP whatever they like.
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    I think it's called "obfuscating" - I seem to remember receipts I get from some places obfuscate the first 12 digits of the card number.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • charlie71
    • By charlie71 7th Mar 18, 7:57 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    charlie71
    Others have already pointed out my reason for not leaving my card details with them. It is not the same as ordering things online.

This has now been resolved - Their machine now works, and I have paid the £50 - I made the detour this evening instead.
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 7th Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,881 Posts
    • 4,936 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    Anyone who is suggesting there's no problem with leaving your card details - including the verification code - with a stranger is just utterly stupid.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 7th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    Ectophile
    What they should have done is to drag out the old card imprint machine from the back of whatever drawer it was lurking in, find the carbon paper forms that go with it, and used that instead.

But I suspect that the staff may not have known anything about such machines, particularly if they are not of a certain age.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Mar 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    When I read this thread earlier today those machines were what I thought about too.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 7th Mar 18, 9:58 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    boo_star
    No they would not

When I worked in retail there were two receipts, one a customer copy and one for the retailer.

The customer copy had the card number obfuscated but the retailers did not.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 7th Mar 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 3,797 Thanks
    JReacher1
    When I worked in retail there were two receipts, one a customer copy and one for the retailer.

The customer copy had the card number obfuscated but the retailers did not.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    I assume this was pre chip and pin. Things are different now
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 7th Mar 18, 10:34 PM
    • 1,475 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    boo_star
    I assume this was pre chip and pin. Things are different now
    Post chip and pin, albeit not by much.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 7th Mar 18, 11:00 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    John-K
    It is a massive difference......

When you pay online the details are encrypted and stored securely by the retailer. The card details are not stored on a piece of paper in someone's desk....
    And whenever you pay over the phone you give them all out unencrypted.

If the OP is happy to buy anything over the phone then they should be happy giving the card details in person.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

21Posts Today

3,659Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin